Angelshard

Aura of Deception

I've been reserving judgement on this aura to see if it would be better in m3e than in m2e. I didn't like it in m2e and I find that I still don't like it in m3e. I find it to be the weakest of the seven auras.

The problem is that you might cost your opponent a high card, but in return you'll probably go from minus to straight damage flip and offensively you are going to cheat higher anyway or lose the action. Also there are so many uses for discard now that you're probably better off saving the cards rather than trying to bluff.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

For comparison the auras are:

arcanist: Until the End Phase, enemy models within range must each discard a card to Cheat Fate.

Guild: Until the End Phase, after a friendly model ends its Activation within range, if it damaged an enemy model during that Activation it Heals 1, or 1/2/3 if it killed an enemy model.

Ten Thunders: Until the End Phase, models within range have Concealment.

Bayou: Until the End Phase, friendly models within range may Cheat Fate with the top card of their Fate Deck.

Outcast: Until the End Phase, after a friendly model within range kills an enemy model, this model may discard a card to add one Soulstone to this Crew's Soulstone Pool.

Ressurectionists: Until the End Phase, enemy models within range cannot Heal or reduce damage with Soulstones.

Neverborn: Until the End Phase, friendly models within range may Cheat Fate with the card face down. The card is revealed before declaring Triggers but after the opposing player has Cheated Fate (or chosen not to do so).

• Agree 5

Agree. Maybe if it let models in the aura always cheat last? Although that might well be too strong...

That is way too strong, Lynch got so much better after his wave 5 upgrade, plus it's very much a NPE for the opponent.

I'm thinking something along "Until the End Phase, after losing an opposed duel, friendly models within range may discard a card to push 1"."

Discard-fueled weak-sauce butterfly jump doesn't do it for me. Why not something like... I think it used to be a marionette ability or something, but basically "friendly models can choose to not allow cheating for either side before an opposed duel." That way there's still a sense of uncertainty because they could still hit/dodge you topdecking, and it is only useful for NB players who believe themselves to have the weaker hand, but it still feels like a fun, game changing ability. 

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

That is way too strong, Lynch got so much better after his wave 5 upgrade, plus it's very much a NPE for the opponent.

Еspecialy because his aura was 6" both from him and Huggy. 

I'm personally thinking about an aura of drawing cards after cheating. 

2 hours ago, Domin said:

I'm personally thinking about an aura of drawing cards after cheating. 

That'd mimic showboating... not that we can't have similar mechanics, but having an aura of the same, or superior, mechanics, would probably make Zipp players feel lame. 

Remember, it's only a 3" aura from the Effigy/Emissary, so a cheat last aura wouldn't have nearly the same impact as 6" aura from Lynch & Huggy. 

It also doesn't really affect the Emissary as much as he's main attack makes the enemy rst - when they're in severe terrain.

Otherwise what about (just spitballing some ideas):

• Friendly models win ties maybe? (although that's probably too weak)
  • Discard a card to add a suit to the duel?
  • Like what was said above, a push when losing a duel but without the discard (as that seems very harsh).
  • Agree 1

Aura was useless in m2e, used a dozen times throughout 2 years. In m3e its even worse as you have tn for it. I hope they change it to anything at least half decent

I think it's a quite useful aura, may not be the best, but I also think it's not the worst (for me that would be the Resus aura) 

• Respectfully Disagree 1

How come resser aura be bad? Decaying aura was very powerful throughout m2e cant see why now when ss are generally better this could be any worse. Maybe its less useful on effigy but definatly good on emissary. 

1 hour ago, Zebo said:

Because it's short ranged and situational, cheating face down is an advantage ALWAYS. 

Nope, it's only useful when you lose the initial flip. If the opponent already cheated what's the aura good for?!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Because Pride should be stripped of his aura. Always Cheating last is incredibly strong, like stupidly OP good. If there had been more time after wave 5 I'm certain Lynch would have lost this. The card advantage it gave over your opponent was immense.

What about an aura that gives friendly models plus on simple duels?

1 hour ago, Angelshard said:

Because Pride should be stripped of his aura. Always Cheating last is incredibly strong, like stupidly OP good. If there had been more time after wave 5 I'm certain Lynch would have lost this. The card advantage it gave over your opponent was immense.

Cheating last is only card advantage if your opponent doesn't manage their hand effectively.

Aura of deception is really bad. In 3e most of the time you will need all the cards you can have; this means that 90% of the times, you can't cheat face down a low cards (poker face on) just to try to pitch a high card from opponent's hand, just because you'll need that card for protected/flurry/pass 1 or more terrifying/ demise:eternal and so on.

However, I don't think a 4 ss model should deserve a lot more as an aura, but the "shame" is that our emissary, a 10 ss model, has this aura as the only fast action available to him

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Raging_Iggy said:

Aura of deception is really bad. In 3e most of the time you will need all the cards you can have; this means that 90% of the times, you can't cheat face down a low cards (poker face on) just to try to pitch a high card from opponent's hand, just because you'll need that card for protected/flurry/pass 1 or more terrifying/ demise:eternal and so on.

This. 

I've always loved the idea of this ability for this faction - the poker bluff is a great allusion to wearing a mask.  But even if max your poker bluffing skills, the number of times you use this aura is so limited.  Due to hand size, you'll get to use this max 6 times - assuming you didn't cheat for initiative, you didn't win each duel, and you don't cheat damage.  

What if the aura allowed you to look at the fate deck and then place it facedown - only having to tell your opponent whether you were winning/not winning?  Cheating would be done face up from there.

Edited by LogsMOLE
spelling
  • Agree 4

I'd like to see snapping plant again on the effigy (enemies treat 3" aura as Hazardous). I think it had this bonus action at some point in the closed beta. Since Lilith is DMH I won't bother to have it on another regular model. It would also be fluffy for the Emissary.

I agree that the cheat face down was almost always useless in all games I played and cheating last would be too good.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Gulil said:

I'd like to see snapping plant again on the effigy (enemies treat 3" aura as Hazardous). I think it had this bonus action at some point in the closed beta. Since Lilith is DMH I won't bother to have it on another regular model. It would also be fluffy for the Emissary.

I agree that the cheat face down was almost always useless in all games I played and cheating last would be too good.

It did indeed, but with the change to hazardous terrain it just got way too powerful on a 4SS model, so probably won't see it return.

26 minutes ago, Hawkoon said:

It did indeed, but with the change to hazardous terrain it just got way too powerful on a 4SS model, so probably won't see it return.

That got stripped when auras of the same name stacked and I made a little killing field of hazardous auras and blade rush models. Now that auras don’t stack the idea can be revisited. Carefully. I’m more afraid of it on the sturdy emissary than the tough but killable effigy, but still.

On 2/10/2019 at 7:42 AM, Angelshard said:

Try it with Outcast Zipp.

...*cries*

12 hours ago, Gulil said:

I'd like to see snapping plant again on the effigy (enemies treat 3" aura as Hazardous). I think it had this bonus action at some point in the closed beta. 

This! So much this! Super fluffy, and really suits the Emissary's model. I don't think it would be too powerful as the enemy model has to enter hazardous auras for them to take effect. 

Edit. What about instead of damage, the Aura of Deception was Hazardous (Distracted +1)? That would really deceive people! 

Edited by Da Git

I love how there are people claiming this ability is completely OP and others that it is garbage. Reading through this level of hyperbole is better than a morning cup of coffee. 

Perhaps, people should have more time on the table before making their conclusions.