Sign in to follow this  
HipsterWhale

Thoughts on the Grootslang?

I finally got my grootslang built as I'm working through my boxes of zoraida stuff and wanted to post my first impressions before my first game with him. 

So far his role seems to be a predator to scheme runners. I think you place his lairs below the sides of the board and to the back of the middle of the board. 

As a piece I think you want to pair him with someone who can manipulate models around him and move him into 2 or 3 scheme runners and just tar pit them by threatening wicked. 

I want to pair him with a bokor to try and walk people out of his melee or in. 

So far he seems to lack much in defense outside threatening slow on models around him and could see him picking up some kind of defensive tech. But I want to play him first to see what's needed.  

What has everyone else's experience with the cavefriend been??

I think he is a bit overpriced for what he does. Wish he could get his positives back when he od standing next to lair/terrain marker or maybe blindfighter for themy ability 

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, HipsterWhale said:

The ability to ensorcelled an enemy and trigger disengage twice and skip straight to damage you can cheat is obscene. 

I'm not sure it should work. This model feels exceedingly deep. 

That's a great trick indeed, thanks for the tip!

It's even better if you manage to put on Poisoned Fate before the Disengaging bc a relented attack counts as an attack vs an equal defense, ie. double negative damage flip. If you get Poisoned Fate onto the model beforehand you can cheat your Disengage action down for 2 extra damage and with some luck a straight or better damage flip.

Except for that trick, which looks absolutely devastating if you manage to pull it off, I think Grootslang needs at least a minor defensive upgrade to avoid being killed in one activation. Def 5, 8 wounds and no defensive tech screams for Inhuman Reflexes but I'm not sure the package you get at 10SS is worth it. Will definitely try this out as I absolutely love the model.

7 hours ago, HipsterWhale said:

The ability to ensorcelled an enemy and trigger disengage twice and skip straight to damage you can cheat is obscene. 

I'm not sure it should work. This model feels exceedingly deep.  

I think you still have to cheat to lose the flip. You can't relent when it' s not between 2 friendly models.

I assume you're hoping to cheat the damage because you have multiple models next to the model disengaging.

• Thanks 1

I ensorcelled an enemy model then took the disengage actions twice on the enemy for 0. Normally you'd flip and see how much you cut their movement. 

But with the Grootslang, Wicked triggers and you flip immediately to see what level of damage you do. 

It was very very brutal. 

I killed a samurai from full health with zoraida who was across the board and gave the Grootslang fast for it's next action. 

2 minutes ago, HipsterWhale said:

I ensorcelled an enemy model then took the disengage actions twice on the enemy for 0. Normally you'd flip and see how much you cut their movement. 

But with the Grootslang, Wicked triggers and you flip immediately to see what level of damage you do. 

It was very very brutal. 

I killed a samurai from full health with zoraida who was across the board and gave the Grootslang fast for it's next action. 

You still have to flip to hit on a disengage attack before you do the damage. You can cheat both sides of the duel because you control both models, but you still need to have a duel before you get to a damage flip.

And just reading the disengage action, this is also slightly flawed in that when you declare the disengage action, the opponent gets to decide on the model to make the disengage attack. So you have to work very hard to make it a straight damage flip.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Luckily the Grootslang was alone but we did do disengage wrong then.

I didn't do the initial duel, we thought it went straight to the flip to reduce damage. 

As it stands being able to relent that action though means that might have been a bit of a nullpoint however. If anything that means if I flip high on the Grootslang I have a greater chance at major. 

When you relent what is your duel number treated as? Just flat did/MV/wp whatever?

If you relent, its treated as if you had a tie. That would normally put you on a :-flip:-flipfor the damage flip. The attacker still flips and would still have to meet any TNs, and the defender is treated as it it flipped what ever number is reqired to tie with the attacker (Even if that ends up being a -3 or a +17 card). The defender can't declare triggers and doesn't cheat. So flipping high or low makes no difference.

Relent is page 10 of the current pdf.

BUT you can only relent on duels between 2 friendly models, so that wouldn't work for this case.

• Agree 2

A possessed model is unable to relent as it is not treated as a friendly model during actions such as attacks

FROM CONTROLLING ENEMY MODELS: Regardless of control, the model does not change
which models it considers friendly and which it
considers an enemy. Control changes who makes
the decisions; it does not change the Crew to which
the model belongs.

FROM RELENTING DUELS: If two friendly models are in an opposed duel, the
resisting model may choose to relent before any
cards are flipped. If it does, the relenting model
(but not the acting model) skips Steps “A” through
“D” below. The relenting model’s final duel total is
treated as being the same as the acting model’s final
duel total.