TTB on the other side

Bad Jim

The amount of new background material from The Other Side about what’s happening on Earth has got me thinking... do my Fated have to stay in Malifaux, or can their adventures take them back to Earth?

Do they even need to go to Malifaux in the first place?  Not that Malifaux is exactly limited in scope, but a whole new world to tell stories in could be great.

And mechanically, is there anything that would work differently?  Are they unable to use magic as effectively?  If they gained new abilities on their journey through the breach, do they lose them when they go back to Earth, or is the transformation permanent?  

Anyone done this or have any thoughts on it?

I believe the Penny Dreadful -"fire in the sky" is all set on Earth. The obsidian gate world wide campaign was largely set on earth. So, yes you can totally have players on earth.

I can't remember what the changes to magic were, but there were some. They weren't huge.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Adran said:

I believe the Penny Dreadful -"fire in the sky" is all set on Earth. The kamis gate world wide campaign was largely set on earth. So, yes you can totally have players on earth.

I can't remember what the changes to magic were, but there were some. They weren't huge.

Just [-] to all spellcasting.

31 minutes ago, Wakshaani said:

Only one [-]? I figured it would have been MUCH harder. Then again, the mages of Earth that survived the breach opening got SUPERCHARGED, so, some of that had to filter out across the rest of the planet.

Hrm.

You were expecting it to be simply impossible instead of impractical?

3 hours ago, solkan said:

You were expecting it to be simply impossible instead of impractical?

Borderline, yes. Magic didn't work without Soulstones to power them after all. So I'd have thought -3, or maybe -2, flips to a magic test, or even a blanket "No magic unless using a Soulstone charge."

I really need to pick up the Other Side stuff to read at some stage. The storyline's moved past what I'm familiar with and there's no good lore repository to dig into.

*grump*

Heck, I *still* don't know where to start hunting for when the whole Burning Man thing started. I know what it WAS (or, well, IS) but not what book launched it.

44 minutes ago, Wakshaani said:

I really need to pick up the Other Side stuff to read at some stage. The storyline's moved past what I'm familiar with and there's no good lore repository to dig into.

*grump*

Heck, I *still* don't know where to start hunting for when the whole Burning Man thing started. I know what it WAS (or, well, IS) but not what book launched it.

How far back do you want to go for the start of it. You could say it was when the Red Cage fell, which was something like Twisted fates from the first edition.

You could look for the failed attempt at ascention by the governor general which was shifting loyalties (I think)

The TOS main rules probably tells you the bulk of the story.

I've not read it but I think the penny dreadful "fire in the sky " is an adventure based on when he appeared.

@Adran is right.

Shifting Loyalties is where the attempted Ascension happens. Fire in the Sky deals with the first appearance of the Burning Man Earthside, and TOS involves the chaos afterward. For what it's worth, the primary antagonists of FitS are my favorite so far! Also, FitS does not shy away from punching hard. Had a Fated take 20 stacks of burning and fall like 10 stories.  

Considering the bleedover into Earth, I wouldn't be surprised if magic didn't start saturating it. It'll never be as limitless as Malifaux, and the magic levels might rise and fall like weather, creating areas of "dead" magic, but as long as the Breach remains open the Earth might reach a point where spellcasters no longer need Soulstones for day-to-day spellcasting. 

Don't quote me on that though, because it's just fan speculation.