matt

Hazardous Terrain

Hey Everyone, 

So with last weeks update, we changed how Hazardous terrain worked, and you all pointed out some unintended situations (such as Vent Steam).

So we plan on going back to the old system with an additional caveat.

Hazardous Terrain: After a model moves through or resolves on of its Actions while in Hazardous Terrain, it suffers the effects of the Hazardous Terrain after the current Action or Ability is resolved (to a maximum of once per Action or Ability). Most of the time, Hazardous Terrain will give a Condition to a model, such as Hazardous Terrain (Burning +1) or Hazardous Terrain (Poison +1). If the Hazardous Terrain does not mention a Condition in its description, the model simply suffers 1 damage. 
If a Hazardous Terrain Marker is moved, all models the Marker came into base contact with during the move, other than the model moving the marker, suffer the effects of the Hazardous Terrain.

This is intended so that it works the same way as before, but should a Hazardous Marker (ex. Pyre) be moved through a model, they suffer the effects of the Marker. 

Let me know if there are any other questions you have about this, or if you think it causes other problematic situations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Agree 1

So to clarify, it's like before but also if a Marker with the Hazardous trait (so no Vent Steam/Jaakuna/etc) moves into base contact with a model then that also triggers the Hazardous effect yeah?

1 minute ago, retnab said:

So to clarify, it's like before but also if a Marker with the Hazardous trait (so no Vent Steam/Jaakuna/etc) moves into base contact with a model then that also triggers the Hazardous effect yeah?

yeah, that is the intent at least.

I like this, it fixes a lot of the problems with hazardous auras.

I believe I mentioned a fix like this on a previous threads, kinda makes me happy that it got implemented 😁 (at least for now)

one question I do have is do markers that are "created" as place effect trigger hazardous?

for example I will assume that a fire gamin walking through a pyre marker and placing the pyre marker in base contact after the action is moving the maker via a place so the hazardous effect triggers. but does a scrap marker that is placed via lets say walking forge within Sparks' scrapyard mines also trigger hazardous? I assume it doesn't as the markers hasn't technically moved.

i'm just wanting to confirm that there is a difference between moving via place and being created via a place. thanks

9 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

@WildRose94 I might be wrong, but markers that are created aren't allowed to be placed in base contact with anyone other than the creator. So I can't see how they should affect someone. 

can u tell me the page, line etc in the rulebook for this statement? not saying its not true, just curious where i can find that rule. Thanks 😃

Pg 31

Place and Create
When a Marker is added to the table, it can be 
either Placed or Created. 
If a Marker is Placed, it is simply added to the table 
in the indicated location without any further game 
effects. It can be placed into base contact or even 
under a model’s base without issue.
If a Marker is Created, it follows some additional 
rules, as described below: 
• Created Markers can overlap terrain, but they 
cannot overlap other Markers.
• Created Markers cannot be placed into base 
contact with any models except for the model 
creating them. Impassable Markers cannot be 
Created in such a way that their base overlaps 
the base of the model creating them.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Angelshard said:

@WildRose94 I might be wrong, but markers that are created aren't allowed to be placed in base contact with anyone other than the creator. So I can't see how they should affect someone. 

This is an odd case. Scrap markers are placed, not created. However, if Sparks is nearby scarp markers count as hazardous terrain. So a metal gamin can walk towards an enemy, PLACE a scrap marker in base contact with an enemy, and that scrap marker is hazardous terrain

1 minute ago, Mycellanious said:

This is an odd case. Scrap markers are placed, not created. However, if Sparks is nearby scarp markers count as hazardous terrain. So a metal gamin can walk towards an enemy, PLACE a scrap marker in base contact with an enemy, and that scrap marker is hazardous terrain

But does it cont as moving the marker for the above rule change?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, WildRose94 said:

But does it count as moving the marker for the above rule change?

Since ‘move’ is defined this edition and ‘place’ is not a sub-category of same, I believe RAW it is not (thus avoiding a loop where a 1” range melee attacker hitting Sparks’ Obsidian Statue automatically takes 1 hazardous damage per hit from the scrap it sheds*).

1 hour ago, Gnomezilla said:

Since ‘move’ is defined this edition and ‘place’ is not a sub-category of same, I believe RAW it is not (thus avoiding a loop where a 1” range melee attacker hitting Sparks’ Obsidian Statue automatically takes 1 hazardous damage per hit from the scrap it sheds*).

Specifically, placing markers that weren't on the table before is not a subcategory of moving.

Still slightly annoying that place can refer to either moving a model or marker or generating a new marker.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, santaclaws01 said:

Specifically, placing markers that weren't on the table before is not a subcategory of moving.

Still slightly annoying that place can refer to either moving a model or marker or generating a new marker.

I feel like that's a problem with the English language. Who do we petition to change that?

• Respectfully Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

I feel like that's a problem with the English language. Who do we petition to change that?

More that it's a game keyword that refers to two different things.

• Agree 2

What I’m not sure about is what justification there is for having Create unable to put a hazardous terrain marker in base contact with a model with the current mechanics.

It’s too much for Kaeris to put a Pyre marker into contact with model using “On the Pyre” or Inferno, but not too much for her to do the same thing to multiple models using Fan the Flames?

Can we activate a model in hazardous terrain, not spend any actions of any kind and end the activation without being affected by the hazardous terrain?

also After a model moves through  - sounds like moving into or out of the terrain or moving around inside the terrain is not covered? (if being moved by other models actions the terrain does nothing?)

3 minutes ago, Gesuma said:

Can we activate a model in hazardous terrain, not spend any actions of any kind and end the activation without being affected by the hazardous terrain?

Correct.

1 minute ago, Gesuma said:

also After a model moves through  - sounds like moving into or out of the terrain or moving around inside the terrain is not covered? (if being moved by other models actions the terrain does nothing?)

While moving inside of hazardous terrain you are moving through hazardous terrain.

1 minute ago, santaclaws01 said:

While moving inside of hazardous terrain you are moving through hazardous terrain. 

Through is not the same as moving around in.

Dictionary result for through

/θruː/
preposition & adverb
preposition: through; adverb: through
  1. 1.
    moving in one side and out of the other side of (an opening, channel, or location)
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Gesuma said:

/θruː/
preposition & adverb
  1. 1.
    moving in one side and out of the other side of (an opening, channel, or location)

But it is how it is used, we say we are swimming through water or flying through the air we haven't come out the other side of the water or air we are continuously in it but we use the word through.

4 minutes ago, Gesuma said:

/θruː/
preposition & adverb
  1. 1.

Words can have more than one definition, and the definition can depend on the tense being used. That's a use for future or past tense. The through in hazardous is in the present tense. Here are some examples of through here is being used in the same way that it's being used in the hazardous rules.

"Andy is going through hell right now"

"Birds fly through the air"

"Indiana is moving through the dungeon". 

7 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

Words can have more than one definition, and the definition can depend on the tense being used. That's a use for future or past tense. The through in hazardous is in the present tense. Here are some examples of through here is being used in the same way that it's being used in the hazardous rules.

"Andy is going through hell right now"

"Birds fly through the air"

"Indiana is moving through the dungeon". 

I just do not think it is clear when using that word. I am not sure if it could be more clear but it would be nice if possible.

Just played with Mei Feng and had a couple of questions about hazardous. I think most of it has been resolved after reading the forums but I just want clarification for peace of mind.

How does charging interact with hazardous terrain? I assume, as the action of charge is to move and take an attack, you will only ever suffer one damage from hazardous: 

p.20

Hazardous Terrain: After a model moves through or resolves one of its Actions while in Hazardous Terrain, it suffers the effects of the Hazardous Terrain after the current Action or Ability is resolved (to a maximum of once per Action or Ability).

Charge is the action, so 1 dmg, correct?

Does the same apply to triggers such as onslaught, as the onslaught trigger is still part of the first action? Or am I have M2E hangover and it should trigger again?

p.11

If a Trigger generates an Action, that Action is an independent Action from the Action that generated it.

This implies its a new action, so an onslaught trigger would suffer an additional point of hazardous terrain, correct?

Also, we were wondering whether a moving aura will trigger hazardous terrain for all models in the aura? We thought not but wanted to check because, whilst not a marker, the other models could be argued as being in "base contact" with the aura. Maybe a sentence clarifying how hazardous auras interact when moving may prevent some inevitable arguments.

15 hours ago, Hollingydale said:

How does charging interact with hazardous terrain? I assume, as the action of charge is to move and take an attack, you will only ever suffer one damage from hazardous: 

Charge is the action, so 1 dmg, correct?

Does the same apply to triggers such as onslaught, as the onslaught trigger is still part of the first action? Or am I have M2E hangover and it should trigger again?

Also, we were wondering whether a moving aura will trigger hazardous terrain for all models in the aura? We thought not but wanted to check because, whilst not a marker, the other models could be argued as being in "base contact" with the aura. Maybe a sentence clarifying how hazardous auras interact when moving may prevent some inevitable arguments.

The charge action just moves you. The attack action is a separate action. so 2 damage. Onslaught and other such extra attacks are also new actions, so fresh damage. You have M2E hang over.

The latest rules clarified the moving Hazardous markers will cause effects. Moving hazardous auras doesn't count for making people suffer the effect. Moving through a hazardous aura does obviously still happen.

As you know, moving hazardous terrain has only just been added so expect a few changes as hiccups happen (such as this moving aura which worked last week but apparently Mei doing 1 damage to every enemy model unresisted is bad...)