Da Git

Youko thoughts

Had a game against Wong with the Qi & Gong crew and got Counter-played by three Bokor so I never used Leverage (as I would hand out 3 Focused). It was really sad having my keyword-themed ability neutralised like that. I also had some pretty horrid luck, butcame away thinking that of the crew, Youko really seemed like the weak link.

Granted she had some fairly bad luck (missed everything Vs a Wp4 Swinecursed in turn 4), but I also just couldn't hit triggers when I did manage to hit and as such really did nothing significant over the entire game. Exotic weapons and their triggers take up a lot of space on her card considering you kind of don’t want to use it.  Either bump it to stat 6 so she can actually hit or drop the triggers to improve the other actions (I'd still drop Beautiful clothes). 

Blackmail really, really wants the Mask built-in. Without it, the action is just really weak. 

Riddles in the Dark was also very weak and I’d love to see this get some Triggers over Exotic Weapons. I'd love to get Mental Trauma here...

Information Network again feels bad for a Master’s AP. This should be a Trigger.

COuld give Surge to Riddles in the Dark maybe.

Otherwise the crew felt like they were in a good place.

I thought I'd post in here, rather than starting a whole new thread.

So I played Youko today, her crew is a lot of fun, but it's been brought up before about Youko's Information Network action.

I'll probably start another thread for the keyword as a whole another time, so playtesters can discuss potential changes, but here are my brief thoughts on the issue.

So, my thoughts are, either give Youko's 'Riddles In The Dark action the surge trigger, or a trigger to make the enemy discard a card. This synergises in 2 ways.

Surge: Drawing a card will change the ratio between players, this is useful as, say both players are 1 card apart, the trigger would make the action more effective on it's second use.

Opponent discards trigger: This synergises even more, as if the opponent discards a card, the controlling player will draw (if within 6') therefore making the difference more manageable.

Alternatively, the discard trigger could have another factor, being 'if the opposing player has more cards in their cheat hand that you, they must discard a card' This way, the trigger is more situational and cannot be abused if the opponent has less cards, but it also offers a way to get your opponent to discard cards, if they refuse to during Youko's blackmail action.

Feel free to pitch your own ideas or question mine if you disagree.

Got a game in vs Youko here, and while I think it's a solid idea for a theme the Distraction aura is way too good to be on Kabuki.  Youko's "I win one duel and get to see your hand" action is too much knowledge from just one duel too, should be half the target's hand or something.  She was drawing tons of cards during my turn, I think her "draw on discards" effect should be once per activation.

1 hour ago, retnab said:

Got a game in vs Youko here, and while I think it's a solid idea for a theme the Distraction aura is way too good to be on Kabuki.  Youko's "I win one duel and get to see your hand" action is too much knowledge from just one duel too, should be half the target's hand or something.  She was drawing tons of cards during my turn, I think her "draw on discards" effect should be once per activation.

I must say I've had a very different experience.

I've played Youko a bunch of times and I've always found her to be very subpar. Knowing a target's hand is not that big of a deal, I mean the hooded rider can do that without an opposed flip. Kabuki Warriors are massive glass cannons against any kind of ranged attack, and the distraction aura isn't really all that much of a threat when there are no really threatening attacks that target Wp in the faction.

Mei Feng would have had a lot less trouble with Distracted if Kang was around to block it and give her focused for free I think. I could see there being some problem with using focused to counteract distracted now that concentrate is once per activation but the Forgeling has a pretty great cleanse so I don't quite understand why you would give up attacking unless scheming was the better option anyway...

While I’m also against the kabuki warriors having that negative flip aura, it’s only because of their durability. The aura could go to a slightly more killable spammable Qi and Gong and be fine (not bunraku as they are summonable and summoning debuff models is equally not allowable, but about that strength of model is fine).

1 hour ago, Jinn said:

Mei Feng would have had a lot less trouble with Distracted if Kang was around to block it and give her focused for free I think.

Strongly disagree, I would need cards in hand to discard to block Distracted and Youko's really good at burning down hands.  If he was more like "when activating in range, discard a card to remove all Distracted/Slow" it'd be more tolerable, but even if Youko doesn't burn down your whole hand having to discard to block each effect that gives out Distracted is super expensive.

• Agree 1

How powerful do you feel Youko's draw power is?

I had another game today, and she can cycle cards pretty well, Backroom Dealings seems to be worth a high card or a stone, especially if you are potentially drawing 2 back in return, whilst also crippling your opponents hand in the first couple of turns.

On the first turn, I forced an 11 & 12 out of my opponent's hand, and he couldn't really stop it since the stat is 7, which will often be 2 or 3 higher, and cheating almost feels discouraged, especially if they will potentially lose cards on top of the ones already cheated, prior.

Blackmail is more influenced by your opponent's choices, but it could still lead to 2-3 cards being cycled per activation, whilst also damaging the hand of your opponent.

I've only played her 2 times, so both me and my opponent will have been inexperienced, so does this ability become less prominent and easier to manage by your opponent as you become more familiar with the crew, or is it still noticeably powerful?

Do you think that maybe it should be limited to Once Per Action, or Once Per Activation of currently active model, or is this too restrictive?

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, INXVI said:

How powerful do you feel Youko's draw power is?

I had another game today, and she can cycle cards pretty well, Backroom Dealings seems to be worth a high card or a stone, especially if you are potentially drawing 2 back in return, whilst also crippling your opponents hand in the first couple of turns.

On the first turn, I forced an 11 & 12 out of my opponent's hand, and he couldn't really stop it since the stat is 7

Just to make sure, the 11 and 12 were just them being unlucky and not you choosing for them to discard the 11 and 12 since the trigger is a random card for each unrevealed scheme.

@santaclaws01 Yes I got lucky on this occasion, but removing a card from his hand with Unseen Manipulator, means you have a greater chance of removing a good card, as there is 1 less to cushion the blow.

For people who've played with Youko more, what is the purpose of Riddles in the Dark's Information Network trigger being your choice of Immediately or After Resolving?  Should it just be consolidated to be one or the other?

11 minutes ago, retnab said:

For people who've played with Youko more, what is the purpose of Riddles in the Dark's Information Network trigger being your choice of Immediately or After Resolving?  Should it just be consolidated to be one or the other?

It's so you can manipulate the difference between the hand sizes.  If yours is larger, take the the draw immediately, if smaller, take it after resolving.

46 minutes ago, retnab said:

The action is dependent on the difference in hand size, so you can declare the trigger in the way that will give the biggest difference if the hand sizes are close.