1.22 gygawatts and placing squad

DeleteAccount

Question

7 answers to this question

I don't have access to my hardcover book at the moment, but doesn't the text on the Electrocutioner's page in the book say something about the unit using 1.21 Gigawatts to leave?

Edit:  As far as I know, 1.21 Gigawatts doesn't invoke the "says otherwise" clause in Fireteam placement, so you place all of the fireteams in the unit.

Then Place this Fireteam within 12".

has to follow:

When a Fireteam from a Squad is affected by a place effect, every Fireteam in the Squad is placed unless the effect specifically states otherwise (such as by saying “one Fireteam” or “only the targeted Fireteam”).

which I believe the next paragraph

When multiple Fireteams are placed at once, as many Fireteams as possible must be placed in the indicated position. Any Fireteams that cannot fit are then placed in base contact with one of the Fireteams that was able to fit in the indicated position, in a position determined by the Fireteams’ controller.

means that you would be placing the other two fireteams in base contact.

Disclaimer:  The Fade Into Surroundings action on the Striped Skulkers is the only card that I know conclusively that "says otherwise" to avoid placing the entire unit, but it does so in a really verbose manner:

Place this Fireteam anywhere on the table. If there are any other Fireteams in this unit, this Fireteam must still remain in Formation.

instead of just saying "Place only this Fireteam anywhere on the table." leaving the rest unstated because that's what happens when someone follows the placement rules.

On 2/3/2019 at 3:57 AM, solkan said:

As far as I know, 1.21 Gigawatts doesn't invoke the "says otherwise" clause in Fireteam placement, so you place all of the fireteams in the unit.

I would argue it does, as it specifically says "this fireteam". All other examples you mentioned either say "target", or "unit" (Tidal Scepter).

On 2/3/2019 at 8:39 PM, solkan said:
  • Electrocutioner's 1.21 Gigawatts "Then Place this Fireteam within 12"."
  • Adeodatos "Place the target in base contact with a Portal Marker within 14" of this Fireteam."
  • Stalking Portals' Draw in "Place the target into base contact with any Fireteam in this unit."
  • The Frenzy's Toss Around trigger "If the target is a non-Titan, Place it into base contact with another Fireteam in this squad."
  • Tidal Scepter's Master of the Waves "When any Fireteam from this unit starts an Activation in base contact with a friendly Tide Pool, it may place in base contact with any friendly Tide Pool in play."  (Relevant to The Frenzy, as a Squad Commander).

Mostly asking since wording strictly speaking, it's referencing only the fireteam taking the action bthe one that gets placed, but at the sane time it's similar wording to the Cult if the Burning Man portal mechanic where it also references a single fireteam, yet I cknow intent on that one os that the whole unit goes on a crazy ride. 

2 hours ago, Razhem said:

Mostly asking since wording strictly speaking, it's referencing only the fireteam taking the action bthe one that gets placed

Well, that's the thing.  According to the rules, its not "strictly speaking" enough.

When a Fireteam from a Squad is affected by a place effect, every Fireteam in the Squad is placed unless the effect specifically states otherwise (such as by saying “one Fireteam” or “only the targeted Fireteam”).

I've found one instance on the cards which satisfies that requirement.  It's on the Empire Dragoons card.  The Ride Through trigger on the Cavalry Sabers attack:

Immediately place only this Fireteam anywhere in base contact with the target.

That is what the rulebook says it's supposed to say if only the fireteam taking the action gets placed.

While searching for that, here's the list of various actions and effects which all would fall under the "You're trying to place a fireteam in a unit, so place all of them" rule (skipping over place effects on single fireteam units):

• Electrocutioner's 1.21 Gigawatts "Then Place this Fireteam within 12"."
  • Adeodatos "Place the target in base contact with a Portal Marker within 14" of this Fireteam."
  • Stalking Portals' Draw in "Place the target into base contact with any Fireteam in this unit."
  • The Frenzy's Toss Around trigger "If the target is a non-Titan, Place it into base contact with another Fireteam in this squad."
  • Tidal Scepter's Master of the Waves "When any Fireteam from this unit starts an Activation in base contact with a friendly Tide Pool, it may place in base contact with any friendly Tide Pool in play."  (Relevant to The Frenzy, as a Squad Commander).

because they don't say to "only" place that fireteam.  

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MuMantai said:

I would argue it does, as it specifically says "this fireteam". All other examples you mentioned either say "target", or "unit" (Tidal Scepter).

That argument doesn’t even get past the words of the rules:

When a Fireteam from a Squad is affected by a place effect, every Fireteam in the Squad is placed unless the effect specifically states otherwise (such as by saying “one Fireteam” or “only the targeted Fireteam”).

Especially when Ride Through meets the standard expressed by the rules.