2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - February

Caedrus

Whew! What a long month!

large.IMG_2142.jpg.e0ced853af07e40f1555af4c355b02fb.jpg

I'll break it down crew by crew.

Dr. Grimwell (9ss), Nurse Heartsbane(8ss), Orderly x2 (5ss each, 10ss total): 27 ss

large.IMG_2152.jpg.d41ca002d335c341608fa0c8a2d19494.jpg

Bete Noire (8ss)

large.IMG_2144.jpg.9adefc05abf81bc8df6e62b1588882b2.jpg

Asura Roten (8ss)

large.IMG_2145.jpg.55ef9d3f8b506d9b7f275206eef3ce55.jpg

Tara (15ss), Karina (5ss), The Nothing Beast (10ss), Void Wretch x3 (4ss each, 12ss): 42 ss

large.IMG_2147.jpg.619e49b941746789796e904545b0a2cc.jpg

Cyclops x2 (8ss each, 16 total)

large.IMG_2150.jpg.4db0ec605cac2ee2efab0efcce6d4f19.jpg

Angel Eyes (9ss), Scion of Black Blood/Maurice (8ss), Bloodwretch x2 (5ss each, 10ss): 27ss

large.IMG_2151.jpg.88c493f86731dec062e1350c93a3c6b2.jpg

Dr. McMorning (15ss), Dr. Dufresne (15ss), Sebastian (7ss), Canine Remains (4ss), Flesh Construct (6ss), Nurse x2 (6ss each, 12ss), Zombie Chihuahua (2ss): 61

large.IMG_2154.jpg.88bd90fef0e39820c0bdbc59956efc0d.jpg

Total monthly count at 189. Tried to get another cluster of models done but there's only so much time in the month, especially with chronic pain, lol!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, khilin said:

Hello!!! Here is my entry for February: Kaeris! My first master ever! I almost miss the deadline... But she is finished in time! c&c always welcome!!! Thanks!!!

Good job! For c&c, skin and wings jump out at me as having potential for some easy improvements. Starting with the skin, it's fairly flat. Did you wash it? I think even just a single redbrown wash would improve it a great deal. Especially if you're more targeted with a wash. Having strong shadows on the neck and cleavage in particular make for a good look, I find. Her hands seem to not have any muscle detail for wash to cling to, but you could apply a wash on their undersides, leaving the top facing parts brighter. Simply applied targeted shadows like that can improve the look of a piece quite a bit.

As for the wings, you've got a pretty nice colour gradation going. Thumbs up for that. But I think you could've gone further.  Rather than stopping at orange, you could've gone for dark red at the roots. And brighter yellow on the tips, or even pure white just at the very ends. And if you've got the skills/tools for it, maybe even draw a dark line between each "strand", although I could imagine that going overboard easily.

I singled out skin and wings, but in general I'd encourage you to work more on your value contrast (ie. darker shadows, brighter highlights). You can go quite far in that respect and it'll still look good, at least I think so. You did good though. Her hair and coat in particular👍. But you asked for cc and I think there's room for you to grow better. I hope this was of some value:)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Caedrus, hope you did like the couple of videos I uploaded to document the way Metal Colourshift Paints. The last pictures I posted can by themself show the way Colourshift paints work.

Now my question is about the possibility to use them for non metal surfaces/models. What about using them to paint a dragoon skin or Nephilim wings. And what about using these paints for a shining silk dress?

Comments and suggestions as regard? Any way to cut off the metallic effect while keeping the colourshift effect working?

22 minutes ago, Franchute said:

@Purple Mist On the metallic parts of the horse: the shadows look like purple/pink, is it because of the surrounding light? Or because of a paint you put in the shadows?

For sure PC screen setting can alter the way colours are reproduced. For example, I see evident differences looking my posted pics on different PCs/screens.

Then, for this final pictures I used my foto-box where at least 4-5 lamps provide lateral and up lightining while sun profides a frontal light through the window.

But that, the paint I used (Dark Blue) has two "components": the Blue and the Red. As a result the visual effect shifts from dark purple (when the light angle of incidence is low) to strong blue when the light is more direct with an angle of incidence close to 90 degrees.  All that produces the shades you properly described: direct spikes of light make the surface of a bright blue;  shadowed areas (that to say spots not directly lightened or lightened with low angle of incidence) look dark purple.

It's also true I washed the metal surfaces with a black wash (GW Nurn Oil). Such washing provides the usual 3D effect darkening deep areas and recesses, but washes do not change the shifting range of the primary colour (Dark Blue).

Ok. Completed this about a week ago, but not had a chance to post them so I'm going to sneak in before it shuts.

(With/without flash)

7rmYgOP.jpg

O9EKmM5.jpg

Layering has yet to properly click for me, and I ended up being a bit frustrated at points with what was going on here. But it's done. Just need to try something a bit different next month.

• Like 4

bD7EDlV.jpgnQMzrpv.jpg2JVPT8u.jpg

@Caedrus Mobile Toolkit for 3 ss. I couldn't glue the wee bugger down as I only recently decided which fancy bases I want, and they haven't yet arrived. It's going on cobblestones, similar to those which @Viruk used with the orange coated Saboteurs. After he gives me a step-by-step of how to achieve the amazing multicolour effect, that is. ;)

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Purple Mist said:

@Viruk, the giant ice mini you painted looks like an Avatar, if I'm not wrong. May be a first version metal figure.......

Did you painted it from the perspective on a Malifaux minis collector or are you really using Avatars when playing?

He said it was a commission for @Scatterbrain if I understood correctly. Official tournament rules allow you to use avatars as a proxy for Emissary.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1