Caedrus

2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - February

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:03 PM, Caedrus said:

I'm keen to see that Mechanical Rider in a gif, if you can!

I'll try, but I cannot get more than a video with my cell.   May you gently suggest some web site for uploading videos without registering to?

Desk cleared and now ready to get started on Malifaux!

I'm feeling confident for this month but my Witchling Scheme is a bit of a pain and I'm thinking of going monochromatic on the spider so we'll have to wait and see. 

• Like 3

And an hour in I have some base colours and rudimentary blends down to start figuring things out. Discarded the monochrome idea on the Spider as I realised crew cohesion is something I'm supposed to be sticking to, although now I'll be tempted to play the Spider Man theme music every time I field him...

pmBBFiH.jpg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Viruk said:

Quick WIP shot of the avatar I'm working on now.

The idea is to buildup the highlights on the icicles with different shades of blue and a very light skin/blue tone on Raspy.

I love it! 😮

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Me, a person with Wp 2, ordering Cyclops and Bultungins right after I came home from the first game with Euripides back in 2018:
Výsledek obrázku pro jontron gif beautiful

Me, a person that painted Voodoo Doll for well over a month, realizing that most of the modles with the Savage Keyword are 50 mm:
Související obrázek

Me, a person with Wp 2, hovering over Gremlins on Wyrd Webstore:
tenor.gif?itemid=9321148

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Bandersnatch is done, so I can chalk off 5SS.

First time I've actually enjoyed painting a Wyrd Plastic. Apparently the trick is to largely ignore all the details that are actually present on the model. :D

Still have to matte it out and gloss coat the basing squick, but this is how it turned out.

jehT8SU.jpg  gfPJp4K.jpg

N1tpEXy.jpg  trlmPPs.jpg

@Nikodemus Quick and dirty seems to look a lot better when you do it than when I try! The shading is really nicely defined on those models and it's a great choice of colours for frontiersman types. Care to share some of your methods?

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, lusciousmccabe said:

@Nikodemus Quick and dirty seems to look a lot better when you do it than when I try! The shading is really nicely defined on those models and it's a great choice of colours for frontiersman types. Care to share some of your methods?

Red's highlight was drybrushed in a few layers. Afterwards I gave a very selective dark brown wash, targeting recesses and such. On flatter areas I'd leave it out or try to feather it a bit. Using layers gives depth. Some parts have more than one layer of wash (I'd almost rather describe it as a glaze, technique wise). Some highlights were done with a few thin layers on decreasing surface area to build up a rough blend. Not on all parts mind you, plenty of places got a single opaque highlight to just to bring out the shape. Sometimes I do basecoat+highlight+wash+highlight. Doing a wash after highlights blends things out a bit, but I still get those crisp extreme highlights by doing them last. Overall colours were also on the dark/brown side of things, which I think made it a fair bit easier. I could be pretty gung-ho with brown recess washes and still have things look good. Bright & clean doesn't go quite so well with quick & dirty, in my experience:P

___

Tonight's effort. wip Viktoria. Gun is done. Skin is done. Hair is done. Grey is... I want to say it's done. Not really feeling the blends this week. It looks good at arm's length despite brutal photographs. If I feel the itch tomorrow I'll toss in a few glazes to try smooth things out. But this particular paintjob really doesn't need it. We'll see. Also did the blade but I think I'll repaint that. It's way too dark now.

Purples and various browns to go. Plus the blade.

pic4571959.jpgpic4571958.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

So I wasn't in the painting challenge last year but I was curious to see what my score would've been if I had - and how much I could beat it by this year! I added up the models and it came to 261 stones last year. So this year I'm gonna aim for a total of 361

Here's my list from last year if anyone's interested

Yin the Penangalan - 8

3x Guild Autopsy - 12

Nicodem - 15

Mortimer - 9

Vulture - 3

7x Mindless Zombies - 14

Razorspine Rattler - 6

Performer - 5

Drowned - 6

Chiaki - 6

3x Shield Bearer - 18

2x Corpse Candle - 4

Vincent - 8

Reva - 15

The Scorpius - 6

3x Stitched - 18

Anna Lovelace - 9

Carrion Emissary - 10

Asura Roten - 8

Beckoner - 6

2x Mannequin - 8

Teddy - 11

Hinamatsu - 9

Scales of Justice - 3

3x Bone Pile - 18

Graveyard Spirit - 3

Lady Justice - 15

The Judge – 8

= 261 stones

• Like 1

145ss for me. 20 models. 6 factions. Probably a few more but that's what I can verify.

8 plastics and 12 metals. Surprising even myself, only 8 were for personal use. Painted most of my malifaux models back in 2016 and 2017, so the last year+ has been a painting journey to other manufacturers:)

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:34 PM, Nikodemus said:

Started working on my pledge today and finished two austringers:

Congrats! Very well Painted. Your palette is so realistic that your models seems alive!

@Viruk Inspirational painting dude! Can't wait to see the finished product.

___

Day 2 for this paintjob and a finished Viktoria. Really happy with this one. Nothing amazing technique-wise, but sometimes you just love what you've done, you know:)

pic4573192.jpgpic4573193.jpg

Started some early work on Moleman:

pic4573458.jpg

Plan is to paint the little rocks embedded into him blue. not sure if I want to play around with OSL from them or not. Would give him bit of colour either way.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Day 2 for this paintjob and a finished Viktoria. Really happy with this one. Nothing amazing technique-wise, but sometimes you just love what you've done, you know:)

Yeah she came out amazing. Love the contrast between the hair and the coat

• Like 1
  • Agree 1