2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - February

Caedrus

Your Anna Lovelace is awesome!! Well done! I bet she'll really pop on the table

5 hours ago, Caedrus said:

I think I'll redo the base edge in plain colours, rather than messing with about with it

The base edge is really cool idea but I agree you should go with plain, I think at the moment it detracts a bit from the model

• Like 1

@muraki Well done ! I won't say you're the best painter I've seen here because you're ... not... But your minis have so much charm, color and life in them that it's a pleasure too look at them !!! If you don't mind, I'll show them to some friends... Such an inspiring work ! Love it !!

@Caedrus love the Nmm, it's beautiful !

@muraki Live the campey 70's colour scheme, so fun and thematic. The conversion on zip is just pure genius.

@Caedrus Dress turned out beautifully. Not sure how naturalistic the purple reflections are but in terms of composition they're great for connecting the model together. Also love the glowey turqouise spot colour on the chest. Really draws the eye into the heart of the model while the purple and blues bring it back out again.

Can I make a suggestion for costing other side models? 

Scrip costs don't really pan out the way ss cost does. For example a unit of warped costs 9 scrip, thats 9 models. A unit of stalking portals costs 3 scrip, thats 6 x 50mm large models. My suggestion for costing TOS models would be (per individual model)

30mm base = 5ss

40mm base = 7ss

50mm base = 9ss

Commanders = 15ss

Titans = 20ss 

I know there's only a couple of us painting TOS at the moment but would be good to get a consistent scoring method for future participants. What do people think?

• Like 1

@Athiko - gets a thumbs up from me...ultimately I'll go along with what everyone agrees on...ten models to make up a full squad of The Broken, nine for the Warped etc etc...it's a lot of work and impossible at S/S for scrip rate...but whatever we decide on - those Titans ! 😱😱....I can just about see me getting King's Hand done in a month IF I have a ton of spare time...but the Gorysche ?!?!....took me hours just to prep it for priming !😂

• Like 1

@lusciousmccabe

I'm partial towards bright hair colours so... Orange would be lore appropriate. Pink, favourite of mine, could fit in with that whole blue-magenta scheme you've got going. But looking at rest of the mini, I think I'd be tempted to go for green-turquoise. It's on the blade and I like tying colours together like that.

I will say that that looks like a challenging paintjob to continue.  Quite a few colours on it already. So as much as I love pink and redheads I'm leaning towards turquoise. If you're not into "anime hair" just go with brown and be boring:P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, I will not be able to finish my pledge for February, @Caedrus, and thus I would like to use my second mulligan. Work and family :)

But!
But I have already made some preventive measures so that it will not happen again :)
I have ordered The Plague Cometh (Hamelin's Crew Box) and some Wyrdscape Sewer Bases. I mean... a Malifaux Rat is a 2 SS model after all :D
Every month I will pledge a single Malifaux Rat and anything else will be a bonus :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Caedrus, checking in!

Well, I hope to have my Peacekeeper finished very soon, but in the meantime, I thought I might say: Wow. Some absolutely fantastic painting this month. Lots of fluorescence, done brilliantly! So many painting styles different to my own (developing) style. I'm learning so much from all of you!

@Viruk: You have a fantastic eye for colour. The blue-to-green shift on your Raspy avatar is wonderful.

@emiba: Beautiful, sombre tones on the Vincent jacket.

@Maxooo: I love those magenta gremlins, and the fluorescent highlights on the base. I wouldn’t be brave enough to try that!

@lusciousmccabe: Nice gradients on the Bandersnatch!

I’m with @Nikodemus on unifying the hair colour, but I’d break lore, and go with jeans-blue!

@Purple Mist: I’m watching your chameleon-horse very closely! Even still images look great!

@Burnin' Coal: Super-cohesive unit there. I think my favourite is the parasol-and-mermaid-dress lady. Gentle, beautiful contrasts.

@Athiko: The fluorescent unifying colour is so very powerful. I love this crew!

I didn’t intend to buy Jaakune, but it’s such a beautiful sculpt, I hope I do it the justice you’re doing!

Your March pledge is huuuge. Wow.

@Diddick: That fluorescent base-touch-effect is great. Not sure which Goryo I like most. I think the brown dress, but it is close!

@bedjy: Those banraku are tiny! You’ve got fantastic detail on it. I love the wood tones (I mostly rely on inks to get a good wood effect), but I think the lavender/blue robes are the best bit!

@muraki: I don’t know where to start! 94 Stones is just … massive.

Your colours are outrageous! Pinks, greens, yellows. I wouldn’t have the courage to even consider it. Your style is so very different to mine, but I love it. I think I’ve never seen miniatures that look like so much fun. Kudos!

@wobbly_goggy: Great mini, needs a partner-sign labelled ‘careful now!’

@Phinn: I hope life settles down for you, but your rat-plan is flawless brilliance! I look forward to your monthly rat!

It's an absolute pleasure seeing these paintings evolve!

Caedrus.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4