2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - February

Caedrus

Just catching up with everyone....another superb month of entries underway

@Caedrus - some lovely brushwork on display - the eyes on your Hungering Darkness proxy are like "WOW !"

@Purple Mist - mech rider looking great

@Athiko - Killer Lady Ligeia and those Guilty have some nice definition going on

@Nikodemus - lovely figures - I especially like the Moleman

@Viruk - am really enjoying your progress - looking forward to seeing it finished

@lusciousmccabe - Woo Hoo !! Great blends and excellent basing

@emiba - nice brushwork- those Corpse Candles rock !

@Chou  - your emissary looks excellent - the bone effect is masterful

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@Purple Mist - thanks for the kind words...as I probably mentioned last month the fact that they are pre assembled means I can just have fun painting rather than having to stick them all together which would be days and days for the entire box if you take into account all the snipping and prep work...with these there is still some filling and removal of mould lines (nothing scary) but after thst it's straight into painting- total win !

• Like 1

Such happenings at the start of this month I forgot to post my To-Do picture! Fixing that now.

large.20190204_163706.jpg.9061a5aba21918576dce17df03215d20.jpg

Mostly painting up some Neverborn bits and bobs (Adze, Wisp, 2x Silurids, Iggy, Bultungin, an Autumn Knight) with a few neglected Gremlins (Sparks, a Gatreaux Bokor, a Lightning Bug), and the Hodgepodge Effigy and the Student of Conflict, because why not.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, lusciousmccabe said:

You'll be busy!

Very true, if I get them all done. I tend to throw a bunch of thing on my tray to work on all at once, and then finish them up one at a time once I get to details. So it rarely works out that everything gets done in a given month.

Oh, forgot the biggest thing in the picture: I've tweaked the Talos model a little bit and it's going to become conversion of Killjoy in much more appropriate aesthetics for the Autumn Queen's court.

• Like 1

@Burnin' Coal  I missed The Other Side kickstarter and with all Malifaux2 models in my stock pile - also known as the "pile of shame"- I could keep painting for the rest of my life. On the other hand, I'm impressed by the high quality of minis hitting the shelfs in recent times. Few days ago I got my kickstarter pledge for HATE and must say those minis have an high quality and richness of details to the point I'm tempting to go after painting them...... probably it could be just more meat to be added to my pile of shame. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Boomstick said:

Such happenings at the start of this month I forgot to post my To-Do picture! Fixing that now.

large.20190204_163706.jpg.9061a5aba21918576dce17df03215d20.jpg

Mostly painting up some Neverborn bits and bobs (Adze, Wisp, 2x Silurids, Iggy, Bultungin, an Autumn Knight) with a few neglected Gremlins (Sparks, a Gatreaux Bokor, a Lightning Bug), and the Hodgepodge Effigy and the Student of Conflict, because why not.

@Boomstick You're gonna be busy...   How did you do the bases?? are they made with green stuff rolling pins?   Also, looking forward to see more pics of the converted talos

• Like 1

@Burnin' Coal Really nice clothwork on a few guys. And that skin!

@Boomstick Busy bee!

___

@Caedrus Finished my pledge of 31ss (Master Vik, 2x Austringer, Moleman)

pic4578408.jpgpic4578409.jpg

Decided to have some fun texturing this guy up. Lots of hashes and some stippling. Skin is basecoated with dark grey and I used black ink to shade underareas and between the muscles. Easy, quick contrast for tabletop. Gems and eyes are blue with white spot highlights but my phone camera software has a hard time distinguishing them. In my haste I did overdo the white on a few gems.

Phew. Five models (1 off pledge) in six days. Less than six days of actually painting. Results aren't too shabby for time put in if I say so myself:)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Next month I'm thinking about painting some Other Side stuff. How does scoring work exactly?

So for example the warped are 9 scrip for a unit (a unit of warped is 9 models) and I assume 5 for an adjunct model means 5 for every other model in their unit. So a unit of warped would be 49 stones worth?

9 (for 1st model) + 40 (8x5 for other 8 models)

Or am I just making this way more confusing than it is? :)

1 hour ago, Viruk said:

.@Burnin' Coal - ......So far I've only seen some of the Cult boxes and while th "amall" minis were quite impressive, the larger ones seemed not on par in terms of quality/level of detail. Do you have similar impressions?

In simple words yes....the small figures are every bit as good as their renders promised they would be and IMHO are equal to the finest sculpts in Malifaux...I have two titans - Gorysche and King's Hand...both of them have very large gaps in places 2-3mm wide that need a lot of filling...however....compared to anything in Malifaux they are truly IMMENSE...as such and considering they are pre-assembled I don't mind that and take it to be part of normal model making...detail wise the titans will rely very much on the paint job, particularly the Gorysche as apart from the head detail it is virtually smooth all over and believe me that is going to be a LOT of surface to cover - the gaps in the model soaked up almost an entire pot of liquid Greenstuff...

King's Hand has one very large gap at the rear as part of the manufacturing/assembly process but has enough detail to make not so much of a problem... it's a mech so with a bit of brushwork the detail is more than sufficient to be convincing...having invested in The Kickstarter I feel that I really got (a) what I was hoping for and (b) a good deal....but...if I was starting from scratch I doubt I would be willing to spend the  amount of money being asked for a single Titan that in effect costs almost as much as a starter box

...and I love what you did with that model....really lovely brushwork 😉👍

• Like 1