2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - February

Caedrus

Another month begins!

This is the thread for the February 2019 Monthly Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I’ll be your host for 2019. February: the shortest month. The pressure is on!

If you’d like to be part of this challenge, please introduce yourself below, and post what level you’ll be painting at! The painters who have already signed up have their details put into the spreadsheet here.

The 2019 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 soulstone worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge started on January 1st, 2019. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan.
  • You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • You may choose to sign up during a later month for the challenge but this means that you'll have to use one or two of the aforementioned mulligans: e.g. if you start in February, one mulligan will automatically be used because you missed January; if you start in March, two mulligans will already be used; you can’t start in April.
  • A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value;
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Almost all models count as their Scrip cost in soulstones;
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Titans are worth triple their scrip cost in soulstones.

Terrain

• Terrain is worth 5 soulstones per 50mm base.
  • Custom tokens are worth 5 soulstones per 50mm base
  • A terrain board is worth 100 Soulstones.

3rd Edition?

If Malifaux 3rd Edition hits in 2019, then the month that the PDF version is available, we will begin using the new values if they differ from M2E.

How to upload images?

1. Go to imgur.com, and create an account.
  2. Click on your account, click on 'images', and then 'add images'.
  3. Click on your uploaded image. You'll see a whole bunch of link options.
  4. Click on the 'copy' button next to 'direct link'.
  5. Go to your Wyrd Forum thread.
  6. Paste (CTRL-V) at the appropriate spot.
  7. The image should appear, resized appropriately to the page.

My very best for February!

Caedrus.

• Like 1

Pledging Moleman (4ss). Considering doing some more, but I don't even remember what's on that tray of "grab 'n paint" Malifaux minis at the LGS. But hey, even kickstarters don't reveal all stretch goals at the beginning!:P

pic4550410.jpg

Base done. Going to gift this one away so leaving the base plain.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Pierzasty said:

What's that? Some communal project, or maybe non-painters leaving their minis for painters to come and paint at a whim?

Latter. There's this guy I've got a deal with. I paint his stuff when the mood strikes me and in return I (and others) get to borrow his painted stuff. Plus Wyrd metals are great fun to paint and he used to have a fair few of them unpainted. That was before I got my hands on them.

My January pledge is some combination of these fellas totalling over 6SS. Kind of a bit annoying that they all cost 5 iirc.

rlpdASr.jpg

Bonus model is Sonnia if I'm feeling super motivated.

F8QbIH6.jpg

Also, I'm making a subpledge of something that's been sitting around my painting table every month that I'll have to finish up before the Malifaux stuff. Last month it was Fiametta from Relic Knights and some Super Dungeon Explore Hero. Was very happy to get them polished off in addition to my pledge, so this month I'll try my hand with 10 GW goblins!

• Like 8

Hey guys!

For February I had a change of plan, my original idea was painting models McCabe could use but with the M3E edition those models have left the building :Teddy:. But McCabe's loss might become Mei Feng's gain, as I plan to use them together sooo...

* Emissary: 10 SS. This guy should be finished soon, I feel like cheating because I started him last month, but well!

* Three rail workers, 5 SS each: 15 SS in total.

* The forgeling: 2 SS

So it would be a total of 27 SS.

• Like 4

In February, I'll be finishing my Cult of the Burning Man 1 Commander company for 20SS (Portals, Commander, and another Breachling).

Here is a WIP on a Portal thingy. Experimenting with washes and dry brushing to try to differentiate the creatures from the portal itself:

zV4vk7s.jpg

My other goal for February is to get a better set-up for taking photos.

Happy Friday, all. 😀

• Like 7