Does Malifaux have vampires

Thedeadclaw

I was talking to someone about what a Resser-Neverborn master might look like and they brought up vampires. I realized I'm not sure if vampires even exist in the Malifaux universe, much less on that side of the breach! She'zuul and the Half Blood transformation process are the closest I could find, and neither are really vampires per say. Does anyone know a definitive answer as to whether they exist? (I know it might be like far, where we think the answer is no but a future release will confirm it, or vice versa, just very curious!)

• Like 1

Just like you stated:

I think the Nephilim, especially Lilith have a lot of vampire feel to them. I mean, they drink blood and eat flesh, have seductive tendencies, and practice blood magic. 

Other than that, the Sword Masamune carried by the Viks houses the Tyrant Shez'uul who has ties to the Nephilim and their Blood magic but also sustains itself by "drinking blood".

These two entities definitely are the representation of Vampires in Wyrds lore, IMO. 

13 hours ago, Adran said:

Lelu used to actually have a vampire bite and drink blood as an ability. That's the nearest I can think of to a vampire we've seen.

7 hours ago, Fixxer said:

I think the Nephilim, especially Lilith have a lot of vampire feel to them. I mean, they drink blood and eat flesh, have seductive tendencies, and practice blood magic. 

Other than that, the Sword Masamune carried by the Viks houses the Tyrant Shez'uul who has ties to the Nephilim and their Blood magic but also sustains itself by "drinking blood".

Yeah, I kindof thought She'zuul was a proto-vampiric god basically based on the TTB timeline, but the Nephilim are obviously playing with Abrahamic lore more than like, the general psyche around vampires.

14 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Who knows what Lucius eats? He's stylish and stealthy and seems to control people of weak will which are all classic vampire tropes. 

Lucius is a doppelganger, which is definitely similiar in power set to vampires, but I wouldn't really call him a vampire or even close to it unless we get some lore that he feasts on blood or otherwise drains energy from people. He's still neat, but not really vampiric so much as sharing a lot of their racial benefits 🤣

11 hours ago, Jinn said:

Probably not what you're looking for, but Yin the Penangalan is kind of a vampire. The Penanggalan myth is a variant of vampire folklore.

ACTUALLY this is 100% what I'm looking for. I'm something of a vampire aficionado so yeah, non Stoker/Nosforatu vampires totally count as far as I'm tracking, I totally forgot that the Penanggalan exist tbh! And since I don't play Yan Lo and his crew is pretty insular I'd totally forgotten about Yin! Totally confirms vampires exist in some form at the very least, and frankly that's enough to make me absolutely giddy! Thanks!!!

5 minutes ago, Thedeadclaw said:

ACTUALLY this is 100% what I'm looking for. I'm something of a vampire aficionado so yeah, non Stoker/Nosforatu vampires totally count as far as I'm tracking, I totally forgot that the Penanggalan exist tbh! And since I don't play Yan Lo and his crew is pretty insular I'd totally forgotten about Yin! Totally confirms vampires exist in some form at the very least, and frankly that's enough to make me absolutely giddy! Thanks!!!

This is awesome :). Wyrd has taught me an awful lot about Eastern Mythology in terms of demons/monsters. I never knew what a panangalan was before I started playing. One quick Google search lead to a Wiki page that had me astonished at all the fantastic monster lore I'd missed. I appreciate Wyrd for bringing ancient mythical monsters into some sort of a lime light. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Scatterbrain said:

Does Malifaux have vampires? Yes, and the reason we can't see them is because they're hiding in plain sight: they're standing in the sunlight and sparkling so brilliantly the eye can't discern their shape. 😉

Omg I know that's a joke but if that's how Wyrd introduces any non-Penanggalan vampires I will actually cry :( :( :( 

• Haha 1

Was reading a one of the older stories from the 1st edition (at the end of storm of shadows). That has a dude that's killing people in order to charge soulstones, which he uses in an exoskeleton in order to extend his lifespan. I mention it because he gets called a vampire by the people trying to stop him. Not really what you're looking for but maybe interesting anyway.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I would point out that the alt-Nicodem model is named Amelia Bathory.  I don't know if she's technically canon, but that's a vampire reference at least.

Actually, Wyrd, if you're paying attention, how about make her her own thing instead of an alt-Nicodem?  Kinda like you did with Carver?  Maybe a versatile henchman for Ressers who heals up by drinking the blood of her enemies and turns their withered husks into zombies thralls?  It's a really cool model and I'd love to get more use out of it!  😉

• Agree 1