Waldo's Weekly - The Less I Know, the Better

Kyle

20 minutes ago, Da Git said:

However, I don't think it translated to the render very well...

yeah ... not as bad as the Lord Chompy Bits was but i hope it doesn't become a trend.  Stop giving thoses renders to do to the intern!! ( i'm joking don't crucify me! i have no idea who or how many people work on thoses renders ;)

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

Also dislike the cloak, but that's a given since the switch to plastic. Those Malifaux tailors care not for physics and that's just how it is.

This one I found out about when a prospective modeler was showing his 3D render work in A Wyrd Place. His program rendered clothing by the modeller forming the shapes of the cut-out pieces and the program ‘stitching’ them and letting them rest. Even assuming that the modeller understands how to cut and sew to get the desired effect (I thought William Gibson was just being a bit of a garmento by one of his books having a throwaway line about real fashion designers working in video games to perfect the [microtransaction buyable] outfits, but I think now he was telling the truth), the program obviously makes all fabric the same weight, and it doesn’t quite fall as the human eye expects. Even above and beyond the constraints of the mold-making, that uniform weight standardizes the drape, and cloaks are nothing but drape. That’s the biggest reason I love the wardens so much: whoever put that cape on the warden at least tweaked it to better obey textile physics.

What a nice masked assassin! But I want to complain one thing.

2046852752_.jpg.483483cfd7e4660aeafce45ece25c9e4.jpg

Some questions about the stat card.

Does Following Orders can only be used once per turn?

Do  5DF and 6WP might be a little bit high on a Stealth model?

Plus, I suggest to design a Token for Analyze Weakness. This can help memorize.

• Haha 5

Wow it is like you all forget about the limitations of mold making. Of course the render has to have a thicker cloak, otherwise how else are you going to get it to come out of a high yield mold.

I do think he could have a bit more bend at the legs but the stiffness makes him look like he just slid up behind someone and stood there like he was there the whole time.

• Agree 1

I do like the art, but the 3 sculpt lost a lot of this otherworld odd looking charm and looks more human-ey becasue of the lenght of the feets,legs and arms.
And to be honest the pose looks silly and boring to me.
So i fixed it.

With a little wierd wild west flavour

unknown.pngunknown.png 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

On 1/31/2019 at 5:27 AM, yool1981 said:

You can even go back 15-20 years ago for a few more dynamic assassin poses. Although some weapons are a bit thick for my taste, Rackham did make interesting minis.

y28fr4xvrt0.jpgtheexecutioner-01.jpgShanystheShadow.jpgassassin-mercenary.jpgysis-viper-desert-confrontation_1_c64d96

Perhaps some of the models are restricted to posing and positioning because of the size of the bases Wyrd uses? Working around that alone can be tough on the designers end.

• Respectfully Disagree 3

11 hours ago, Garbage Boi Stink Man said:

Perhaps some of the models are restricted to posing and positioning because of the size of the bases Wyrd uses? Working around that alone can be tough on the designers end.

Having assembled 2.5 factions, I do not think this is the case. Additionally, since when does Wyrd care about the size of their bases :D?

I think there can be the following possibilities for this model to be as it is:

• Wyrd thinks the render looks cool and likes it very much. In that case, At the end of the day, art is art and everybody is entitled to have her/his own tastes.
  • The current staff from Wyrd (artist and/ or sculptor) may not be skilled enough to provide the level of aesthetics, creativity, inspiration and miniature variety that was characteristic of M2E.
  • Wyrd wants to lower down production costs, especially mould costs. This is a perfectly acceptable reason. However, I think one of M2E's strongest asset was an outstanding miniature range with dynamic and colourful miniatures. Losing on this aspect, Malifaux's minis will just look like the rest of the steampunk games out there.
  • Wyrd wants to ease the assembly process. It is true that some of the M2E miniatures were not friendly to non-hobbyists and having easier to assemble miniatures may help attracting newcomers.

• Agree 7

I'm not a fan so far of the art direction of M3E. It seems several levels below that what we saw in M2E. I said when M3E was announced that one of the things that almost didn't need to change with the exception of certain models was the mini's. The new style is just not Malifaux.  

• Agree 4

10 hours ago, yool1981 said:

Having assembled 2.5 factions, I do not think this is the case. Additionally, since when does Wyrd care about the size of their bases :D?

I think there can be the following possibilities for this model to be as it is:

• Wyrd thinks the render looks cool and likes it very much. In that case, At the end of the day, art is art and everybody is entitled to have her/his own tastes.
  • The current staff from Wyrd (artist and/ or sculptor) may not be skilled enough to provide the level of aesthetics, creativity, inspiration and miniature variety that was characteristic of M2E.
  • Wyrd wants to lower down production costs, especially mould costs. This is a perfectly acceptable reason. However, I think one of M2E's strongest asset was an outstanding miniature range with dynamic and colourful miniatures. Losing on this aspect, Malifaux's minis will just look like the rest of the steampunk games out there.
  • Wyrd wants to ease the assembly process. It is true that some of the M2E miniatures were not friendly to non-hobbyists and having easier to assemble miniatures may help attracting newcomers.

True, I have a hard enough time assembling minis. They are just soooooo tiny. Im pretty new to it though. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Dr Mittens said:

Anyone else think Inhuman Physiology looks a tad ridiculous, combat finesse but it applies to ranged duels,  enemy damage flips, and makes it so opponents can't cheat when defending... yikes. It's going to be rough defending against this guy and trying to kill him.

This is beta. He's already been changed. Current text for Inhuman Physiology: Enemy models cannot Cheat Fate when targeted by this model's Attack Actions.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Ok, I owe this sculpt (and more importantly, the sculptor) an apology. Having seen the rest of Lucius’ box, I can see that the awkward, somewhat gangly pose is perfectly in keeping with the rest of the box. Lucius is the only one who looks comfortable being human, and all the others look like they’re just barely passing.

In context, this model is perfect, and I’m seeing it in a whole new light. I think showing Agent 46 on his own might have been a mistake, but now I actually can’t wait to get that box and paint him up.

• Agree 1

On 7/20/2019 at 2:33 AM, J4bberw0ck said:

Ok, I owe this sculpt (and more importantly, the sculptor) an apology. Having seen the rest of Lucius’ box, I can see that the awkward, somewhat gangly pose is perfectly in keeping with the rest of the box. Lucius is the only one who looks comfortable being human, and all the others look like they’re just barely passing.

In context, this model is perfect, and I’m seeing it in a whole new light. I think showing Agent 46 on his own might have been a mistake, but now I actually can’t wait to get that box and paint him up.

The sculpt is still too static for an assassin, specially with the arms like that. If you want to make it static, at least put the arms in the back, like hiding the blades.

Also the legs are completely disproportionate, but really, like A LOT.

6 hours ago, ShinChan said:

The sculpt is still too static for an assassin, specially with the arms like that. If you want to make it static, at least put the arms in the back, like hiding the blades.

Also the legs are completely disproportionate, but really, like A LOT.

Getting ready to use the blades or putting them back. Depends on your perspective, but there are plenty of reasons for an assassin to be in that particular pose, though it seems you want some cartoon pose, which is fine, but not enough to call the pose being used bad.

The legs being disproportionate seems to be part of the point, as it seems likely that Agent 46 isn't exactly human.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yup, that was my thought as well. The model looked awkward by itself, but placed next to the rest of the crew, the awkwardness makes sense. They're all awkward because they're not really human. Imagine if you had a human in a super realistic dog costume, on all fours, pretending to be a dog. It's still not going to look quite right, because the proportions are wrong.

Given the on-purpose-awkwardness, I don't see how the knives could be positioned better. If they were going for fluid motion with this crew, then there are a million other ways they could have gone, but that's not the point.

I mean, just look at the name. He's clearly a play on Agent 47 from the Hitman series, and that guy is not flexible. He can climb and hang and shimmy along ledges to a degree which shouldn't be possible for the human body, and he can change his appearance at will (holy cow he's just straight-up a mimic), but he's no Ezio Auditore. Once I changed my expectations for the character from spinning, leaping acrobat to inhuman killer, the sculpt became excellent in my eyes.

• Like 1

Its nice to see people admit when they are wrong. I had scene the leaked pics of them from last years gencon so I had an idea what they are going for. Now with the back of the box pics it shows it clear as day. Sometimes we just have to give the artist the benefit of the doubt till we see the whole picture. I don't think they would have ever been green lit if they where as bad as everyone was making them out to be.

3 hours ago, J4bberw0ck said:

Yup, that was my thought as well. The model looked awkward by itself, but placed next to the rest of the crew, the awkwardness makes sense. They're all awkward because they're not really human. Imagine if you had a human in a super realistic dog costume, on all fours, pretending to be a dog. It's still not going to look quite right, because the proportions are wrong.

All I can think of reading this are those super inaccurate medieval paintings of animals the artist clearly only ever heard explained to them, but humans :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Stonewall78 said:

Its nice to see people admit when they are wrong. I had scene the leaked pics of them from last years gencon so I had an idea what they are going for. Now with the back of the box pics it shows it clear as day. Sometimes we just have to give the artist the benefit of the doubt till we see the whole picture. I don't think they would have ever been green lit if they where as bad as everyone was making them out to be.

Where's the box (front & back) art & renders for these guys? I must have missed that one.