Waldo's Weekly - The Less I Know, the Better

Kyle

Love everything about this model, from the stats to the backstory. However, that pose just feels so oddly static. The models' rules and flavour imply a ton of movement and fluidity, and yet the render has him just standing there, awkwardly holding knives like he doesn't know what to do with them. Am I alone in this? If so, I'll just have to re-sculpt his arms and legs, I guess.

• Agree 10

Agree that the pose is a bit static but otherwise love the art.  I like the art mask more than the render one.  But that’s an easy fix with green stuff.  The art mask looks unnatural but in a good way.  Sort of reminds me of Silent Hill. 

The pose is also an easy fix, as it’s really just the position of the arms that’s at issue.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Rufess said:

Is it only me thinking that his scabbards are facing to the wrong direction. In the render image he has to rotate the swords after pulling out from the scabbards.

Oh yeah! you got good eyes, couldn't see that but now that you say it, it may contribute to that "meh" feeling about the pose. I agree that he looks a bit static and also i find the cape a little too "GW thick"

I find that the mask in the art and the one in the render both look cool ! I just wonder why they went a totally other direction with the style of it in the render but at least it still ended up looking gud

Honestly I kind of feel the pose kind of resembles Lucius’s pose abit. Both have their legs straight, a cape behind them, and are holding an object infornt of them. I think personally instead of it just being a static pose for the sake of it being such, that it’s really trying to mimic Lucius’s look and feel and while it works for him I’m not sure how well this guy pulls it off. Maybe I’m making connections that don’t exist. I don’t know. 

• Like 2

The art is going for a Neil-Gaiman-esque graveyard book feel to me. Anyone else reminded of the Man Jack with his long thin knife? While that slightly warped, long legged, low-hanging shouldered look is awesome when 2d, the transition to miniature form feels very off to me. The cloak looks too thick, and the mask too human. The whole point of the mask is to suggest that anyone could be behind it, if it looks like a mario villain the effect doesn't really carry through. As for the pose, he looks like he's at a party where he knows no-one and has no idea what to do with his hands. Also are the knives too long? I find they look really large and clunky for a deadly assassin. 

I actually really like the art, as it makes him look like he really is part of Lucius's crew. Also the new direction with more humanoid mimics is awesome, and I understand how hard it can be to capture something that's creepy because it could be anything. Maybe he looks weird because we're seeing him from the bottom, which is probably never how you're going to see him. I hope this is the case. Hate to be negative, but.........

• Agree 2

I'm fine with the static pose given that he's Hitman, a character best known for walking inappropriately casually and dressing inappropriately formally.

There is something weird about the arms though. I can think of any reason he'd be holding then that way, except maybe if you convert the blades to pints and pretend he's waiting for his mate to come back from taking a piss. One up, one down would be a better look imo, or even both of them down or in their sheathes while he considers his next move.

Also dislike the cloak, but that's a given since the switch to plastic. Those Malifaux tailors care not for physics and that's just how it is.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scatterbrain said:

It makes sense that a mimic might have odd proportions

That or this artist has a specific way when it comes to the proportions of adult human-shaped characters... This is very common for him/her to draw smaller heads and long legs, as if the character was seen by a child.

Floating and/or very long capes, robes, coats... are also a thing it seems...

m3e.newmasters.jpg?format=1500wWaldosWeekly_11_28_2018.thumb.jpg.e57294WaldosWeekly_10_17_2018.thumb.jpg.fe5f84WaldosWeekly_0130_Agent46_Art.jpg.b7deac

8 hours ago, Rufess said:

Is it only me thinking that his scabbards are facing to the wrong direction. In the render image he has to rotate the swords after pulling out from the scabbards.

You have very good eyes.

• Respectfully Disagree 2

8 hours ago, Rufess said:

Agent 46 might draw them across his/her/its body?

Alternately, perhaps Agent 46 is simply that good that it doesn't matter... or its scabbards know better than to protest.

Either way, my wallet is ready.

Edited by Haagrum
Mitigating risk that Agent 46 was displeased with the earlier post.

3 hours ago, catbat07 said:

I actually really like the art, as it makes him look like he really is part of Lucius's crew. Also the new direction with more humanoid mimics is awesome, and I understand how hard it can be to capture something that's creepy because it could be anything. Maybe he looks weird because we're seeing him from the bottom, which is probably never how you're going to see him. I hope this is the case. Hate to be negative, but.........

I like how it's rocking the uncanny valley vibe - as though it's really close to human but still giving off the creepy feeling that it's clearly not human. The legs are just that bit too long, the set of the arms and shoulders just slightly... off.

Remember, if you can see Agent 46, Agent 46 can see you. If you *can't* see Agent 46, it's already too late...

6 minutes ago, Tors said:

Hey, at least it's pretty easy to find an actually good looking assassin model to Proxy this thing 👎

You can even go back 15-20 years ago for a few more dynamic assassin poses. Although some weapons are a bit thick for my taste, Rackham did make interesting minis.

y28fr4xvrt0.jpgtheexecutioner-01.jpgShanystheShadow.jpgassassin-mercenary.jpgysis-viper-desert-confrontation_1_c64d96

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Agree with a lot of what has been said.  I really like the artwork (took less time to grow on me than usual, so that's a win!)  However, I don't think it translated to the render very well...

I much prefer the strange 3-eyed mask and the slight twist at the hips/neck (although I'd prefer this to be a tad more pronounced) so his looking to (our) left.

The Render's mask is boring, his cape is way too thick, and his pose to straight for my liking.

Also, please turn the scabbards around. (drawing crossbelt while holding the knives blade-down without cutting off a hand is actually really difficult!)

Just trying to provide some constructive criticism! If the model comes out like the artwork, I'll be very happy!

• Agree 1