Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfarst

A plea for unveiling... something

Recommended Posts

Hello Wyrdos,

The playtesting of the new version is in full swing. 

The discussions I've taken part in, have been sobering and informative. 

With that being said, I would like to make a plea that some additional information about M3E and its release got unveiled.

Currently changes are implemented each week. which hopefully makes each faction and the overall rulebook even more crisp and balanced at launch. 

- Is it possible to get some information about when the launch is planned for?

I realize it's impossible to give a specific date, but simply knowing which quarter of the year (it is planned for) would be great.

 

Currently there are rumors stating it's planned for GenCon - which is 7 months out. Can this really be true? Are the models potentially undergoing 28 changes before they are done?

I know that 28 changes are an exaggeration, and that each model probably wont undergo that many changes - nevertheless it can be somewhat hard to motivate oneself to play the game, when you have it in your back-mind that half of your selected models might be a lot different in the coming week.

Obviously, I can't speak for everyone - and I may be the only Malifaux player who thinks like this - which is also partly the reason why I made this post.

 

Am I the only one who finds it somewhat frustrating not knowing if the launch is a week or a year into the future?

 

This is intended as constructive critique not a call to arms 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the beta is done they still need to do layout, send an order for printing and wait for shipping. Last edition change there were several months between the beta ending and the new rules being released as far as I recall.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

After the beta is done they still need to do layout, send an order for printing and wait for shipping. Last edition change there were several months between the beta ending and the new rules being released as far as I recall.

I fully understand, but currently there isn't any information about when the Open Beta is over, is there?

It's not that I'm complaining about the process itself, I imagine there are loads of things that needs attention, and plenty I don't know anything about. 

I am, more than anything else, asking that some information is given - a bit of the secrecy removed. 

 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Slartibartfarst said:

nevertheless it can be somewhat hard to motivate oneself to play the game, when you have it in your back-mind that half of your selected models might be a lot different in the coming week.

Well I think the motivation for playtesters is to ensure that models that are good the way they are stay that way, and that models that need to change are brought to Wyrd's attention.

However, most models don't change week-to-week. Each week, a small subset of models can be changed, or once in a blue moon, maybe a core rule gets tweaked.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Slartibartfarst said:

I fully understand, but currently there isn't any information about when the Open Beta is over, is there?

It's not that I'm complaining about the process itself, I imagine there are loads of things that needs attention, and plenty I don't know anything about. 

I am, more than anything else, asking that some information is given - a bit of the secrecy removed. 

 

Doubt that they can reveal secrets they don't know, and even if they did know, saying when they want the beta to end unless it is imminent isn't a good idea.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

Doubt that they can reveal secrets they don't know, and even if they did know, saying when they want the beta to end unless it is imminent isn't a good idea.

Yeah, that was kinda my thinking.

"When's the Beta going to finish?"
"When the Beta looks like it's finished."

If we get to a point where nearly everything is stable, and few crews are changing week to week, then maybe a date can be considered. But saying "March 31st!" and then still not having Collette, Seamus and Molly (and a dozen plus lesser models) all still heavily in flux on the March 27th update, doesn't do anyone any good. Half the people will be mad that the playtest is finishing with things they care about "incomplete" if they go through with the deadline, and the other half of people will be mad that the official release has been pushed, if they don't.

Not everything needs to be perfect. And it's impossible to do so, as @Adran said in the Levi thread earlier, people have different experiences, and so what seems to be balanced to one person, is over/underpowered to others.

But rushing to an arbitrary end date just seems like a pointless exercise that's just going to mean a very early round of errata (Oops, Collette ended up garbage, need to boost her, and Seamus, what were we thinking, back to one Flintlock a turn) a month or two after release, and that's not a good look.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For whatever reason you keep arguing against disclosing a certain date.

 

Never mind though. Clearly people prefer the uncertainty - I guess you have a very active meta.

If I can, I'll delete this post in some hours. 

Edit: Can't - a moderator has to

Edited by Slartibartfarst
Cant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Slartibartfarst said:

For whatever reason you keep arguing against disclosing a certain date.

 

Never mind though. Clearly people prefer the uncertainty - I guess you have a very active meta.

If I can, I'll delete this post in some hours. 

Again, they can't disclose what they don't know, and it's infinitely better to not set an arbitrary date way in advance than to set one and then have to either push said date back constantly or release an unfinished product.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kyle said:

f you are feeling burned out on the testing process, we encourage you to just start playing for fun. Malifaux Third Edition is already in a great place. Every change we are making from this point forward is just to make the game better (we hope!). 

^^ This. The last couple games I haven't taken notes because I just wanted to play and prep for tournament play at LVO.

 

1 hour ago, Necrokamo said:

For my part I understand what Kyle points out... but I don't know if it would be possible to show some of the new character designs for the new edition

I would hope that they will start periodically dropping new art/renders.

 

And as the OP, I would assume that it all comes out officially at Gencon but that it ends by late May timeframe or (hopefully) earlier meaning that the game is in a stable, balanced spot. It seems impossible with production deadlines to launch at Adepticon. Gencon is the next big convention-based opportunity for a release. Of course they could also release at a random day, but historically for the last few years all launches coincided with conventions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could very well be false, but all throughout closed Beta there was this impending sense of urgency at the expense of many other aspects of the game.

Since open Beta started, that feeling has completely dissipated and everything seems to be concentrating on making the game as polished, smooth, thematic, and fun as possible.

I, personally would like to specifically not have an end date in sight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Saduhem said:

This could very well be false, but all throughout closed Beta there was this impending sense of urgency at the expense of many other aspects of the game.

Since open Beta started, that feeling has completely dissipated and everything seems to be concentrating on making the game as polished, smooth, thematic, and fun as possible.

I, personally would like to specifically not have an end date in sight.

Well, one of the reasons for that rush was to get the most prominent pointy bits filed down, so that it's at a quasi stable enough perspective that it's more suited for an open Beta.

While the closed Beta was going on, Mali essentially died at the two stores I frequent. An open Beta allows people not really wanting to actively playtest, to be able to still play the game. For them, it's essentially a rough pre-release. So it's more exposure for Mali, and after the four months of the Beta, and the month or so of knowledge of the transition before that, exposure is one of the more important things Wyrd need to maintain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...