Basing advice

OctaBit

Looking for some advice on how to go about basing ToS models, specifically squads, and the multi bases. I was planning on going for a simple cobblestone bases, and I figured some form of greenstuff or milliput would work but I was curious what other people's experiences were.

I've used greenstuff before and I've thought about getting a press roller for the cobblestones. I'm just not sure how economical it is to base a whole army with greenstuff. I've also heard of people using milliput but I've never worked with it. So I don't really know what it's like to work with. What have you guys been using to base your armies?

I came up with the genius plan of using Model railway plastic sheets with a range of patterns on (I have cobble stone, planked wood, stone slabs, cracked earth that I already used for malifaux basing).

I then cut a circle out the right size to fit the fireteam base (about 77diameter for a normal fireteam base) and cut the three circles at about 32mm diameter from that.

I used a compass with a blade in it for the circle cutting.

Its a lot harder than I expected, but I'm hoping the scenic bases I'll manage to get will make it worth it. So far I've based about 2 squads, and have started trying to make a pub for the south welsh to be bursting out of.

Cutting the circles and wanting both sides to still look neat is much more effort than just trying to keep one side neat. Working out where to cut the circles was harder than expected, in the end I've tried to find the middle of the hole in the fire team base, and drill through that so I can mark the correct point on my fireteam insert.

• Like 2

@OctaBit I've used the bases supplied but worked on them as a group with all the 30mm bases in position within the squad bases so that there's some kind of overall coherence....used just a small amount of Milliput on each of them first just to give a slight variation to the flat bases and then textured and painted once dry...Milliput is like Green Stuff - a two part compound that's easy to work with ,although perhaps a little messier, it dries to a porcelain like finish...it's ideal for bases as it's relatively cheap and can be shaped and sanded when dry

• Like 1

Well I have two suggestions for you...the first is cheaper.

Grab a bag of split lentils or peas and just glue those down. They look alright though might appear a bit large.

The more expensive option is to use milliput (cheaper than green stuff) with some of Happy Sepuku base stamps. I have had great success with these. Just be sure to use the burts bees wax as suggested and also lightly wet the stamps before pressing. This will keep them clean and ensure they last.

11 hours ago, RedHood said:

Could you tell me what brand plastic sheets you pick up for basing Adran?

I have Wills Scenic by Peco

https://peco-uk.com/products/wood-planking-2 is the wooden planking. as an example

I used to get tons of malifaux bases per sheet, but I can get 1 fire team and 2-3 other bases from a sheet for TOS.

Compass cutter I use is

https://widgetsupply.com/product/sgr3-54907t.html

But there are plenty of similar things out there.

I found to get neat circles slow and steady is the best bet. when I try and rush I end up jumping out the groove and making a new groove. You also have  a very narrow cut, so much so that when its done well the circle will stay in the hole. So you'll need a little filing to make sure that you can put the bases in and out easily (Or make sure you strongly glue the models)

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

This is a very useful thread, I am currently staring at Kassa Okoye's base trying to decide what to do about the bases. Not sure about rural or urban.

Possibly more economical for basing is the Slaters embossed plastikard: https://slatersplastikard.com/plastikard/embossed.php

7mm is about the same scale as Malifaux/TOS.

It is also easier to cut with a circle cutter (though being slightly thinner might be a problem with the TOS bases).

freikorp2-4.png

Freikorp with Slaters 7mm Granite Sett insert.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ultravanillasmurf said:

There does seem to be a dearth of painted The Other Side armies to crib base designs.

Still early days yet 😉 Even those of us with Kickstarter pledges didn't receive packages until the end of last year so even the fastest and most keen painters are only just getting into the first units....give it a couple of months and there'll be more inspiration out there for sure

Ya, I just got my Cult and Abyssinia recently. Finally putting the first few models on the painting table this month.

I finally decided to use the vallejo earth textures to base my guys. Someone (can't remember the name unfortunately) had some nicely painted Abyssinia with desert bases. The stuff looks pretty sweet, so I picked up a jar of sand for my Abby's, and a jar of Earth for my Cult.