Je11yfishQueen

Colette Shanking Models and Looking Good While Doing It.

This is simply an observation after playing a recent game with Colette and crew vs Brewmaster. 😊 To begin with I love the way she and her crew plays!! The distracted condition is great and flavorful and really fun to play with; I really think they hit the mark with this one. However! I do have one issue I think should be brought up. I know Colette already got a nerf to her defense but I think she needs another tiny adjustment to her Distracting Illusion action. Either the stat number should be dropped to at least 5 (my personal vote) or the crow trigger for Mental Trauma needs to no longer be built in; simply because it's crazy powerful with her current playstyle. Case in point in my recent game against Brewmaster I was able to kill him on turn 2 in one activation! She was targeted by an enemy attack action, buried, popped up later in the turn next to Brewie (who still had all 12 wounds), gave him Distracted, used Distracting Illusion twice with the built in trigger when my opponent had no more cards in hand so he took six damage, then used Sword Trick, flipped severe killed Brewmaster and still had one more action left! While no everyone will be flipping severe on Sword Trick and some opponents will have more cards in hand (especially if they know what's coming), both my opponent and I agreed it's just a smidge overpowered. Like I said I'm loving the feel of Colette and how she's playing, she just needs the tiniest little change to stick her in that target zone of good, but not OP. 😀

Edited by Je11yfishQueen
Misspelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 2

Distracting Illusion is really great at stat 7. Distracted + Stunned + discard a card is great, but Distracted + Stunned + damage 3 is better. 

I wouldn't nerf this, it's her main attack, and while very good, Stunned only works once, Distracted is only +1 and you should play vs her knowing this. 

At most, I would reduce up to 6, but not more. 

• Agree 2

I thought this too on Closed Beta but got shot down by all the other Arcanists, so I gave up 😛

The opponent should be more careful with their cards or just stun her to make her useless. I am very sure they would play differently against her next time.

• Agree 3

I mean, not to blame the victim, but why did your opponent ditch all his cards before Colette activated? It seems like a mistake everyone will make... Once. And the after that it's fine. Resource allocation is the name of the game, if your opponent can punish an empty hand then don't have an empty hand, or since you know they're bringing Colette then just bring in some card draw models.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Hollingydale said:

I thought this too on Closed Beta but got shot down by all the other Arcanists, so I gave up 😛

The opponent should be more careful with their cards or just stun her to make her useless. I am very sure they would play differently against her next time.

& how does one stun her without actually targeting her (as she'll just bury, pop up and do her schtick)?  Not every faction has Candy (the only model I can think of). 6 sounds like a good compromise. Having been on the end of Jack's previous attack, having to discard 3 cards in their master's activation is very rough... This one is worse in a way as if you run out of cards it's 3dg.

• Agree 1

Just to be sure you didn't play wrong, was there a friendly model/scheme marker near Brewmaster when she unburied engaging him?  I don't want to say it's the Brewie players' fault, but on top of having no cards to discard did he have no stones to prevent with?

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Zebo said:

Distracting Illusion is really great at stat 7. Distracted + Stunned + discard a card is great, but Distracted + Stunned + damage 3 is better. 

I wouldn't nerf this, it's her main attack, and while very good, Stunned only works once, Distracted is only +1 and you should play vs her knowing this. 

At most, I would reduce up to 6, but not more. 

And the Distracted from 3 Distracting Illusion attacks can be removed by any of your nearby enemies spending an action and severe card, if 2 actions are spent you can probably top deck well enough to remove 3 Distracted.

How effective Colette’s activation is is in the hands of her opponent much more than it is with most masters. 

• Agree 4

12 hours ago, Michael Curran said:

Fellas, you need to play multiple games before coming to a decision..... the CARDS can be such an influence & that is merely chance.  Take that into account.

I'm just going to say that I disagree with people trying to say something that happened is just chance. I agree that the brewmaster seems to have made a mistake by getting to 0 cards, but it's not too hard to have arranged colette to have a focus on hand for her bonus action.

It's hard to stop a 7 attack hitting you without using cards, and if you don't have a hand it's very luck dependant on how much her bonus is going to hurt, but she is much likelier to get to a cheatable flip.  

When lots of people say she is rubbish at doing damage, some people don't check her card and miss how much damage she could do if you let her. 

• Agree 2

On the one hand, I have to quote your "if people let her". On the other hand, I agree, if there is anything I would nerf about her, it would be the damage track of Sword Trick. Not down to 1/2/3, but maybe 3/4/6 would be more healthy.

Honestly I kind of feel like it should be 2/4/5 even (to match the other Performers' bladed weapons), I get that it's her only "reliable" damage source but she's also a control master and the control elements of the ability really should be the point of it.

• Agree 3
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

3 hours ago, retnab said:

Honestly I kind of feel like it should be 2/4/5 even (to match the other Performers' bladed weapons), I get that it's her only "reliable" damage source but she's also a control master and the control elements of the ability really should be the point of it.

It’s also the only min 3 attack in the entire Performer keyword.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

We also have the only 12SS model that has a 2/4/5 damage track with no trigger to attack again or flurry, so how are you planning on doing any damage?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Agree notneverything needs to be Killy but we are way below killiness. 

A crew should not be balanced about using versatile as far as I know 

• Agree 2
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

1 hour ago, kaintxu said:

Then we should just remove versatile if we're not considering them as options.

The Performers' gimmick has always been scheming around their opponent, they've never been a killy crew.  They don't need high damage to be a competitive option.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

The performers have not been competitive for a while and Colette was used to run an elite crew. Why? Because they were way to fragile. Don’t mind me is nice but when they die to 2 hits you won’t last long. 

Cassandra was very resilient but she no longer is by far as She used to be, nor she is as fast

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, kaintxu said:

A crew should be balanced around what it can hire. If you want to build a killy crew with Colette as a leader you most certainly can.

For example If you find hiring a chimera with her wins you games, then you will do it "out in the wild" once testing ends. So I believe you should do that now.

I haven't tried it, but just looking through the options, and Envy looks good for them to up their damage in addition to the Captain and Emmissary.  And Carlos is fairly close to a minimum 3 damage, and the duet is not a low damaging model.

That and between the 4 possible executes from the duet and the 3 discard a card or suffer 3 damage from Colette in addition to her bonus action, saying the crew is not killy is not true.

The crew does not have to be killy, but it can be fairly killy if you want it to be.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adran said:

A crew should be balanced around what it can hire. If you want to build a killy crew with Colette as a leader you most certainly can.

For example If you find hiring a chimera with her wins you games, then you will do it "out in the wild" once testing ends. So I believe you should do that now.

I haven't tried it, but just looking through the options, and Envy looks good for them to up their damage in addition to the Captain and Emmissary.  And Carlos is fairly close to a minimum 3 damage, and the duet is not a low damaging model.

That and between the 4 possible executes from the duet and the 3 discard a card or suffer 3 damage from Colette in addition to her bonus action, saying the crew is not killy is not true.

The crew does not have to be killy, but it can be fairly killy if you want it to be.

What I meant with my post is that because Colette has access to some good vertasile models, her crew should not be unbalanced compared to any other crew who also has access to those same versatile models. (i.e. Colette and her crew should not be weaker than Sandeep and his crew just because Colette can include Envy or The captain as Sandeep has the same access to them)

I do think Envy goes really well with Colette's crew to be honest. Not so sold on The captain unless a shooty crew in fron, as while he is really good at def 6 and 10 wounds and middle of the Storm, his main defensive gimmick will be wasted, and with the duet and Cassandra it's hard to afford other cost 10 models that are not quite resilient..

1 minute ago, kaintxu said:

What I meant with my post is that because Colette has access to some good vertasile models, her crew should not be unbalanced compared to any other crew who also has access to those same versatile models. (i.e. Colette and her crew should not be weaker than Sandeep and his crew just because Colette can include Envy or The captain as Sandeep has the same access to them)

And that's also what I mean. A Colette crew should not be weaker than a Sandeep crew.

If they wanted to design a downside into a crew (such as it not being able to deal damage) but the crew can then just hire out of keyword beaters, then the core design of the crew is a problem.

I don't think that's what they are doing with Colette, but it does read like some people are only fixed on her keyword crew and ignore how they could avoid her downsides with different crew selection.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, kaintxu said:

We also have the only 12SS model that has a 2/4/5 damage track with no trigger to attack again or flurry, so how are you planning on doing any damage?

Giving that same model 4 actions to attack, Blade Rush with the option of charge twice, critical strike and execute. 

Coriphee Duet maybe should be looked at, since it's cheaper than a Master, tougher than most masters, with more actions, fast... And it don't hit soft precisely. 

• Agree 1

So recently I looked at Nellie, because she`s one of the closest masters to Colette that I could find and have experience with. I will not go into defense but I will go into offense. A lot of people say, that the 3/5/7 is ok because its her only damaging ability (forgetting about mental trauma from a 7 stat action) but Nellie has 1/3/4 if you are engaged. Care to swap :P?