Frenzy Tactica

Thisendup

An easy tip is get them to glory on the first activation of turn 1. You want those extra tactics tokens! Plus adding "prove your worth" and the other abilities is very useful.

I cannot recommend enough putting the Relic of Ancient Malifaux on the Frenzy. Three potential use's of the item is nothing short of amazing. Combined with Shark Tooth necklaces you are almost certain to get two off, often three or four. Put a token on the Frenzy themselves, then stock up your other units. Works great on Karkinoi and Alpha Crawler who get better with more tokens. Don't forget it can let a unit reinforce more than once in a turn. Frustrate your opponent by bringing back everything they just killed in one turn.

Keep them near a unit of Armored Whelks to make sure your opponent has a tough time getting those tokens off of them.

Lastly, don't be afraid in the early game to feed one of the Frenzy to another squad to get them to glory if you have a reinforcement token on them. 

Just for different tactics, try taking Unnatural reflexes instead of shark tooth necklaces. Getting a card every turn is nice and having your opponent cheat first can be almost as good as flipping two cards.

For crazy melee power, take both, although that means no relic, if you are facing burning man, still a fun thing to try on occasion and be super scary in melee combat.

50 minutes ago, unknownuser65 said:

Am I wrong or is the theoretical maximum for healing magic 8 with the Frenzy? I mean if you are able to get off.

I think the maximum is "only" 6.

The healing magic action is not a morale action.
So you cannot do healing magic as the bonus morale action
for the frenzy's activation. Which leaves you with only 3 times healing magic (times 2 if you get the cards to do get the trigger & a success on the second one)

That is still very powerful.
Generally speaking any asset providing an action is potentially very powerful on the frenzy.
Being 3 is the commander's main appeal after all.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Thisendup said:

On that note, the free morale action still counts as an action. So if Frenzy A does nipping at their heels for free as a commander, Frenzy B and C can also, but A cannot do it a second time and must do a different action during their turn.

I don't understand why you say the Frenzy A cannot do it a second time.
Is there a restriction somewhere that I missed that prevents you from doing the same action twice in once activation?

I looked for the text of the commander's bonus action and the general action & orders description in the rulebook, I didn't see anything like that.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, MajorUndead said:

I don't understand why you say the Frenzy A cannot do it a second time.
Is there a restriction somewhere that I missed that prevents you from doing the same action twice in once activation?

I looked for the text of the commander's bonus action and the general action & orders description in the rulebook, I didn't see anything like that.

The Commander unit can make a bonus morale action. Not each of its fireteams. So each frenzy can do healing once with possible trigger and then one of them can make an extra morale action.

19 minutes ago, trikk said:

The Commander unit can make a bonus morale action. Not each of its fireteams. So each frenzy can do healing once with possible trigger and then one of them can make an extra morale action.

But I don't think there is anything that implies you can't double up on the morale action with a commander.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, trikk said:

Yeah I know but you can take 1 bonus morale action + 3 normal moral action, and unless I missed something, you can take the same moral action for all of them.
From what I understood of @Thisendup  's point, it seems to imply that you can't.
So I'd rather be sure I didn't miss something preventing you to take the same morale action twice with a commander.

• Agree 1

The only time you're limited on the number of times you can use an action per activation/turn is when the action itself says so (or, in the case of Assets that grant actions, wording on the Asset that provides a similar limitation, like Versatile). Commanders can use their free Morale action to take a given Morale action, and as part of the Advance or Focused Effort Order, use the same action again unless the action itself states a limit on number of times per activation or turn.

• Agree 1

I put The Frenzy down today in a 1 commander game, Relics of Ancient Malifaux and Sharktooth Necklaces.

While it was nice being able to cast 3 Healing Magics, the bonus flips to Actions are a massive, massive bonus from Sharktooth Necklaces. They did so much heavy lifting, since you really want Crows and preferably high cards on their melee attacks. They managed to kill the Lord of Steel with all their bonus attacks brute forcing through Evasive Maneuvers.

It was a real shift from the Stormsirens long range luring into tide pools so I was initially hesitant to try them single commander, but I'm glad I did.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I was apparently mistaken about the extra morale action. As I understood it an action could not be taken twice without a special rule or trigger. Was wrong.

Glad you tried them and liked them Loki. They play very differently from the Stormsiren, but that's not a bad thing. I love them vs Burning Man, as they usually end up in melee turn 1, right where I want them to be.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, -Loki- said:

I put The Frenzy down today in a 1 commander game, Relics of Ancient Malifaux and Sharktooth Necklaces.

While it was nice being able to cast 3 Healing Magics, the bonus flips to Actions are a massive, massive bonus from Sharktooth Necklaces. They did so much heavy lifting, since you really want Crows and preferably high cards on their melee attacks. They managed to kill the Lord of Steel with all their bonus attacks brute forcing through Evasive Maneuvers.

It was a real shift from the Stormsirens long range luring into tide pools so I was initially hesitant to try them single commander, but I'm glad I did.

Frenzy seems like the best commander in the game right now.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/2/2019 at 9:24 AM, Thisendup said:

I was apparently mistaken about the extra morale action. As I understood it an action could not be taken twice without a special rule or trigger. Was wrong.

Glad you tried them and liked them Loki. They play very differently from the Stormsiren, but that's not a bad thing. I love them vs Burning Man, as they usually end up in melee turn 1, right where I want them to be.

I don't own the Frenzy yet, and haven't felt like proxying them, but my primary opponent is Burning Man and that's exactly what I was hoping for.