StormSiren Tactica

Thisendup

Much like the Frenzy, you need to get Stormy to glory as quickly as possible. Turning all those pools into hazards is very worth it.

Take Heavy Rains stratagem with her and use it to put more pool in your opponents way -or- put them near objectives. With the Tidal Scepter she can bamf from pool to pool and grab nearby objectives then bamf away next turn if threatened. Save this for later in the turn when your opponent cannot mob her.

Take the Conch horn most of the time. I say most because it depends on who you play. I like unnatural growth vs Abbysinia as it messes with their card drawing. Since you cannot spawn from pools then I would say take 2 units of Striped Skulkers and when they die use "These things are everywhere" to similar effect.

If you do not take the conch horn play stormy very defensively, she becomes much more fragile.

Is there really any good reason to not take the horn? Loosing the Siren is costing us too much. Pools go back to being difficult only and no control  of enemy forces anymore. 

I might be wrong but up to now she has felt like the workhorse of my force without the squads doing that much, except minor damage and objective grabbing.

I was pointing out a specific instance where you might want to try something other than the horn. Vs Abysinia to mess with their card drawing. She does not become any more fragile than other commanders with two upgrades. Plus Abysinia has a tough time getting to your back field and Stormsiren works well far away from opponents, at least for me. If she's in a tide pool (and she should be pretty much all the time) then she's got cover vs their shooting as well.

I have the slight feeling that damage wise, the siren outpaces the Frenzy easily. Luring 2 Units into a pool results in maximum 12 penetration flips (assuming all 6 fireteams move into and activate in the pools). I ve seen her destroying whole units. Power wise the tide pools hit at 3 sometimes 4 str depending on how many pools are touched during a lure. I just cannot see the sharks doing anything similiar at a range of 24 inch. And at 8 vs WP she is also more likely to hit the enemy forces with her lures. 

At the same time you will also be closing the gap between your critters and the enemy enabling melee which is where your troops will be able to tear em apart.

Where the sharks are better is at keeping your hordes alive. Siren gets 2 heals off whereas the frenzy can manage up to 6. Relics of ancient malifaux is an awesome combo with the shark tooth necklace. 

One of the things to take into consideration is effects of terrain and anything out there that might provide better bonuses against magic than melee. If there's a lot of LOS-blocking terrain that interfere with targeting or movement choke points that limit ability to Lure two Units into pools (looking to maximize reward is a means of evaluation, but I also recommend evaluating risk and weaknesses), then she's going to have a tougher time hitting that level of output.

Her ideal terrain and the sharks' ideal terrain are different.

Getting all those penetration flips from luring into Hazardous Tide Pools is reliant on getting the Lure off in the first place. If you flip badly and don't have a card to cheat, and/or the opponent flips well or has a good card to cheat, the Lure doesn't go off and you don't get any penetration flips.

The Frenzy have pretty massive weight of attacks. If they have a few Reinforcment tokens or to manage to fish some out with their Crow trigger (which isn't too unlikely with their extra flip), they just keep on hitting and hitting and hitting. If the hitting engine stalls on one, there's another two to start up.

There is some debate as it's not a trigger that generates the extra attack, just spending a reinforcement token. I personally play it as only being able to generate one additional attack, so 6 maximum. Seems a bit OP otherwise.

As for stormy, don't forget that her lure can also be used to pull opponents away from objectives (towards her or a tide pool). Situational, but can be useful.

The rule that stops infinite loops specifically says Triggers and Actions that provide an extra Action can only repeat once.

The Frenzy gain Reinforcement tokens off their Crow trigger, but they have a general ability to discard a Reinforcment token to make the same attack again. It's not an action that lets them repeat the attack. As written, they can just attack forever as long as you've got the Reinforcement tokens. It'll probably get an errata that also says Abilities, but really 2 attacks off each is usually enough to brutalize anything.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2019 at 12:39 AM, -Loki- said:

The rule that stops infinite loops specifically says Triggers and Actions that provide an extra Action can only repeat once.

The Frenzy gain Reinforcement tokens off their Crow trigger, but they have a general ability to discard a Reinforcment token to make the same attack again. It's not an action that lets them repeat the attack. As written, they can just attack forever as long as you've got the Reinforcement tokens. It'll probably get an errata that also says Abilities, but really 2 attacks off each is usually enough to brutalize anything.

This get FAQ'd or Errata yet`?