Jordon

Kaeris impressions

Just now, Gnomezilla said:

*internal screaming recommences*

Kaeris hiring a Vent Steam'er and Ice Golem for maximum Hazardous overlap does sound fun, I agree lol

Just now, retnab said:

Kaeris hiring a Vent Steam'er and Ice Golem for maximum Hazardous overlap does sound fun, I agree lol

And a soulstone miner for a pit trap too. I don’t think you can overlap terrain markers, but a model might be nudged to stand upon both at once.

But no, the screaming was that another global ability popped back up on the whack-a-mole board.

I personally find Kaeris to be in a pretty good spot (though I wouldn't say no to another bonus action, something scheme, maybe?)

The one thing I wish was tweaked is for the Flame Tornado to be tweaked to allow friendly keyword models to fail the shockwave, much the same way SnowStorm's shockwave can be chosen to be failed by December models.

The reason for this is that Flame Tornado is the best way I see to give the golem and gamin a good stack of burning early, which really helps the gamin survive. The issue right now is you're hoping to get at least a few low cards to cheat in turn 1 for them to fail it so you're not wasting actions.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Jinn said:

I just had a game with her against Lilith and the combination of plus flips and unresisted injured made it almost impossible to miss. I split my crew up a bit with a fire gamin sent off relatively far from Kaeris and I found the lack of Pyre Marker generation very painful. I didn't hire the Fire Golem so I was unable to stack up burning on it another way. Fire Gamin really cannot survive without Pyre Markers/burning and it doesn't seem worth it to provide support to them with Kaeris unless they're in a group with a bunch of other models getting use out of the Pyre Marker. I think Fire Gamin need a tactical action to create a Pyre Marker in base contact with themselves, perhaps by suffering ~2 damage (due to being able to eat it for health and burning). This would give them a useful utility role in the crew and also make them more independent.

I didn't take the Fire Golem because I don't think it is worth 10SS as a beater with only two attacks a turn, Elijah Borgmann is simply the better option.

hire sandeep and banasuva and then use banasuva's mantra for the pillers?

5 hours ago, Boomstick said:

The one thing I wish was tweaked is for the Flame Tornado to be tweaked to allow friendly keyword models to fail the shockwave, much the same way SnowStorm's shockwave can be chosen to be failed by December models.

I wish you were allowed to choose to just relent a simple duel caused by a friendly model, rather than needing exceptions for it, but people have shot it down every time I've mentioned it before :/

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, dannydb said:

hire sandeep and banasuva and then use banasuva's mantra for the pillers?

Banasuva only gets his Mantra if Sandeep is the leader unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Jinn said:

Banasuva only gets his Mantra if Sandeep is the leader unfortunately.

wow well thats just another reason then kaeris is on the chopping block in my mind 

2 hours ago, dannydb said:

wow well thats just another reason then kaeris is on the chopping block in my mind 

i agree that Kaeris is under the curve, but I really really like that Banasuvas mantra is only active if Sandeep is the leader, specifically for Kaeris interactions... that part is perfect. other than that, I think Kaeris' keyword could use a lookover once more. Global injured on pyres is no way near the power of the former injured (albeit in a smaller area) i would much rather hinder a few enemy well than annoy alot a little... which is what I think you do now...

9 hours ago, retnab said:

I wish you were allowed to choose to just relent a simple duel caused by a friendly model, rather than needing exceptions for it, but people have shot it down every time I've mentioned it before :/

I think it could have potential consequences that might need looking at. I do however think that some shockwaves should have an option to ignore the effect for friendlies (like snowstorm)

What do people take as her core?

Firebranded + Magical Training
Carlos

is all I figured out as an autotake right now.

Kandara + 2 fire gamin also seem decent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just had a game against Hoffman tonight and managed a win.

While Kaeris is kind of straight forward, I think she does the well. I liked the current rendition of Third Degree Burns being table wide. She's super fast & run and gun was used every turn as was Blaze of Glory which meant she didn't need to use many cards for hitting. Loved that Smolder was built in although wish it could reduce Burning by up to 2 to do 2 damage. I'd love Blaze of Glory to make the model immune to Burning Damage. This would really help Kaeris, Elijah, Firebranded & Draugr who all want burning.

The only other real thing and this is probably the biggest is for Demise (Smouldering Heart) to be able to Drop Pyre markers rather than create them.  My poor Golem was surrounded by enemies and it would have been perfect if he could Drop a Pyre and so very fitting!

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, trikk said:

I think it could have potential consequences that might need looking at. I do however think that some shockwaves should have an option to ignore the effect for friendlies (like snowstorm)

What do people take as her core?

Firebranded + Magical Training
Carlos

is all I figured out as an autotake right now.

Kandara + 2 fire gamin also seem decent.

Not sold on the Firebranded atm. They have very little going for them compared to Oxfordian Mage except Embrace the Flame. After the OM got Elemental Transference on their Elemental Bolt (that triggers after resolving) they are just so much better than the FB (healing mantra for elementals, Arcane Conduit for condition removal, Elememental Transference for exchanging conditions on enemies and friends) that I'd be hard pressed not to pick the OM every time.

So Oxfordian Mage + Magicial Training and Carlos is a really solid core IMHO.

• Agree 1

Smoulder is in a bit of an awkward spot. It feels a bit underwhelming at +1 damage like a poor mans crit strike but I feel like it would be too much if it were at +2 damage, at least not with a built in trigger/built in burning. 

My feeling is that smoulder would be a lot better if it affected damage flips instead of adding damage. That way it would make stacking burning more relevant but the damage is still card dependant. The draw would be in its consistency. in some regards it's worst than the +1 damage but I feel like there are other benefits that make more sense.

Regarding the Firebranded, I remember a while back a change list mentioned them having conflagration. I think them having conflagration would be a much better ability over Elemental Bolt. Make it a Stat5 and give the Smoulder trigger (not built in).  

• Agree 3

Just now, Jordon said:

Smoulder is in a bit of an awkward spot. It feels a bit underwhelming at +1 damage like a poor mans crit strike but I feel like it would be too much if it were at +2 damage, at least not with a built in trigger/built in burning. 

My feeling is that smoulder would be a lot better if it affected damage flips instead of adding damage. That way it would make stacking burning more relevant but the damage is still card dependant. The draw would be in its consistency. in some regards it's worst than the +1 damage but I feel like there are other benefits that make more sense.

Regarding the Firebranded, I remember a while back a change list mentioned them have conflagration. I think them having conflagration would be a much better ability over Elemental Bolt. Make it a Stat5 and give the Smoulder trigger (not built in).  

2+1 dmg is better than 3 dmg IMHO so I'd take it over crit strike. I don't know how hard getting burning is but the damage portion looks better.

• Agree 3

5 minutes ago, Jordon said:

Regarding the Firebranded, I remember a while back a change list mentioned them having conflagration. I think them having conflagration would be a much better ability over Elemental Bolt. Make it a Stat5 and give the Smoulder trigger (not built in).  

That would set them apart in a good way, agreed.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, trikk said:

2+1 dmg is better than 3 dmg IMHO so I'd take it over crit strike. I don't know how hard getting burning is but the damage portion looks better.

Very much agree with this. Getting 1 burning on them is super easy if it became 2 for two, you'd actually have to manage it. 

The additional damage being separate was what allowed Kaeris to do any sort of decent damage to Hoffman's constructs. 

14 minutes ago, Jordon said:

I think this would put them in a good place. I agree that at the moment, all they've really got going for them is Embrace the Flame. 

• Agree 1

I don't know if this has been brought up, but does Conflagration get hit twice by Incorporeal? In the rulebook it says that effects that trigger condition damage count as damage from conditions but as far as I can see it would still count as damage from an attack. So Incorporeal models reduce her main attack's damage by 2 effectively. I'm guessing this affects a few other models that do damage + a damage from a condition, meaning they're disproportionately effective against heavily armoured targets and disproportionately ineffective against incorporeal targets.

33 minutes ago, Jinn said:

I don't know if this has been brought up, but does Conflagration get hit twice by Incorporeal? In the rulebook it says that effects that trigger condition damage count as damage from conditions but as far as I can see it would still count as damage from an attack. So Incorporeal models reduce her main attack's damage by 2 effectively. I'm guessing this affects a few other models that do damage + a damage from a condition, meaning they're disproportionately effective against heavily armoured targets and disproportionately ineffective against incorporeal targets.

I read it as separate from the attack. The damage is coming from the Condition, so wouldn't be affected by Incorporeal... But I could be wrong. 

The extra damage from Smoulder was what kept me in the game against Hoffman's stupidly armoured stompybots! :)

Currently it is actively bad vs incorporeal, yeah. If it was changed to when resolving do +1 then it'd be better there but worse against armor 2.