Starting TT in M3E

Da Big Baws

Like I mentioned in my previous post on the Gremlin board, I used to play in 1.5 before Gremlins & TT where a faction and I'm returning with 3rd edition. Thinking of starting with either Gremlins or TT. 

Which of the crew boxes is best to start Ten Thunders? I like how Misaka, Asami, and Shelong look the most but that's just aesthetics. I like how every TT master/henchman looks, just those look cooler in my eyes. Rules might be another matter though.

Are you looking for competitive, or for budget? Mei Feng is probably going to be really strong in 3E, with rail ride applying to her squad, kang passing out focus at the start, and a decent mix of positioning tricks, and henchman summoning, a full collection will allow her some very productive turn ones with immense control over where she and her crew fight/scheme.

For budget, the torakage/ototo buffs means misaki's entire box is self sufficient.

Shenlongs crew got some notable utility nerfs, but more reliable bulk/damage and focus staying between rounds could help a lot. Yan Lo box seems almost self sufficient although he struggles a bit on mobility.

Almost none of the Ten Thunders crew box are self sufficient (but Misaki I'd say). If you want some advice on what you need to get a proper start (in the stated order). Remember that this is my own opinion and it can change with the upcoming updates of the Beta : 

Lynch crew box + beckoners / depleted > gwyneth / Mr Tannen / Kitty** > Mr Graves

Misaki crew box + Wokou Raiders* / Minako Rei (encounter box) > archers / Katanaka Snipers/Crime boss/Yamasiko

Mei Feng crew box + Metal Golem* / Metal Gamin* > Willie* / Neil Henri* > Porkshop* / Sparks* / Survivor*

Asami crew box + Ama No Zako / Akaname* / Obsidian Oni > Katashiro (encounter box) > Tengu / Jorogumo > Kamaitachi

Yan Lo crew box + Izamu / Sun Quiang / Toshiro*Manos* (encounter box) > Yin* / Komainu. 

Mc Cabe crew box + uhh, a few proxy ? :)

Shenlong crew box + Low river Monks / Wandering River Monks > Archers > Charm Warder > ... > (not even worth buying if they remain the same: Lotus Eater / Fermented River Monks)

Qi and Gong (no crew box) + Oiran (Kunoichi) / Hinamatsu* / Bunraku > Charm Warder

Versatile models : Tanuki !! > Samurai / Lone Swordsman / TT brothers / Shadow Effigy > Dawn Serpent / Yasunori > Fuhatsu / Shadow Emissary / Lust (CrossRoad 7 crewbox) > Obsidian Statue / Wanyudo (encounter crew box) > (not even worth buying if they remain the same: Terracota Warrior.)

So : 

/ : same level of requirement and efficiency

> : Different level of efficiency

* : from another faction (not playable with another TT crew)

** : Require a proxy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bedjy said:

Mei Feng crew box + Metal Golem* / Metal Gamin* > Willie* / Neil Henri* > Porkshop* / Sparks* / Survivor*

Just want to add that even with the extra cost, Minako Rei goes very well with Mei Feng as a way to spend early scrap markers while still being a decent beater. The Katashiro then give you a construct with solid mobility (15") and support through removing status conditions from allies and buffs from enemies.

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2019 at 10:37 AM, bedjy said:

Almost none of the Ten Thunders crew box are self sufficient (but Misaki I'd say). If you want some advice on what you need to get a proper start (in the stated order). Remember that this is my own opinion and it can change with the upcoming updates of the Beta : 

Lynch crew box + beckoners / depleted > gwyneth / Mr Tannen / Kitty** > Mr Graves

Misaki crew box + Wokou Raiders* / Minako Rei (encounter box) > archers / Katanaka Snipers/Crime boss/Yamasiko

Asami crew box + Ama No Zako / Akaname* / Obsidian Oni > Katashiro (encounter box) > Tengu / Jorogumo > Kamaitachi

Yan Lo crew box + Izamu / Sun Quiang / Toshiro*Manos* (encounter box) > Yin* / Komainu. 

Mc Cabe crew box + uhh, a few proxy ? :)

Shenlong crew box + Low river Monks / Wandering River Monks > Archers > Charm Warder > ... > (not even worth buying if they remain the same: Lotus Eater / Fermented River Monks)

Qi and Gong (no crew box) + Oiran (Kunoichi) / Hinamatsu* / Bunraku > Charm Warder

Versatile models : Tanuki !! > Samurai / Lone Swordsman / TT brothers / Shadow Effigy > Dawn Serpent / Yasunori > Fuhatsu / Shadow Emissary / Lust (CrossRoad 7 crewbox) > Obsidian Statue / Wanyudo (encounter crew box) > (not even worth buying if they remain the same: Terracota Warrior.)

So : 

/ : same level of requirement and efficiency

> : Different level of efficiency

* : from another faction (not playable with another TT crew)

** : Require a proxy 

Would you say this didn't change a lot? Especially for Yan Lo and Youko.

Lynch crew box + beckoners / depleted > gwyneth / Mr Tannen / Kitty** > Mr Graves *** No Change ***

Misaki crew box + Wokou Raiders* / Minako Rei (encounter box) / archers / Katanaka Snipers/Crime boss/Yamasiko *** Well everyone is good in there now :) ***

Mei Feng crew box + Metal Golem* / Metal Gamin* / Porkshop* > Willie* / Neil Henri* / Porkshop* / Sparks* / Survivor* ***Mei needs some Scrap first, then whatever you want***

Asami crew box + Ama No Zako / Akaname* / Obsidian Oni / Jorogumo / Tengu / Katashiro (encounter box) > Kamaitachi  ***Akaname and Obsidian oni are mandatory, but everything is good now. Be carefull Asami is a summoner, so you can't just take her box and play. The entry fee is much more expensive, but rather satisfying ;) ***

Yan Lo crew box + Izamu / Sun Quiang / Toshiro* / Manos* (encounter box) / Gokudo** > Yin* / Komainu.   ***Ashigarus are now good with Toshiro, but a bit meh on their own. In fact, Yan lo has so many excellent choices between ancestors that it's very hard for models to make the cut. Also each Ancestor are very specialized, so minions are a bit left over. ***

Mc Cabe crew box + uhh, a few proxy ?**  *** the crew is currently interesting, but you'll need some proxies***

Shenlong crew box + Low river Monks / Wandering River MonksArchers / Charm Warder / Lotus Eater / Fermented river monks ***everyone is good ! (people seem to like those fermented river monks), the color is for the buying priorities***

Qi and Gong ([EDIT] crew box to be released)** + Oiran (Kunoichi) / Hinamatsu* / Bunraku / Charm Warder / Kabuki Warriors** ***My models are ready, need youko now !***

Versatile models : Tanuki !! > Samurai / Lone Swordsman / TT brothers / Shadow Effigy + Emissary (better to get them as a pair) / Yasunori / Fuhatsu / Lust (CrossRoad 7 crewbox) > Obsidian Statue / Wanyudo (encounter crew box) / Terracota Warriors / Dawn Serpent  ***you can take whoever you want anyway***

So : 

• / : same level of requirement and efficiency
  • > : Different level of efficiency or difference between mandatory and just good models (ex : mei's scrap generators)
  • * : from another faction (not playable with another TT crew)
  • Not yet available models**

On 4/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, gandrasch said:

Would you say this didn't change a lot? Especially for Yan Lo and Youko.

Youko's available model didn't change much during Open beta. Only her crewbox has seen some modifications, so the list remains the same
For Yan lo, there has been quite some change ! Yin and Komainu are not bad models at all but it is hard to find a place for them ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 9:53 AM, bedjy said:

Mei Feng crew box + Metal Golem* / Metal Gamin* / Porkshop* > Willie* / Neil Henri* / Porkshop* / Sparks* / Survivor* ***Mei needs some Scrap first, then whatever you want***

So : 

• / : same level of requirement and efficiency
  • > : Different level of efficiency or difference between mandatory and just good models (ex : mei's scrap generators)
  • * : from another faction (not playable with another TT crew)
  • Not yet available models**

As someone who has played a LOT of Foundry in the beta (admitted only as Arcanist but hey), I mostly agree with this but had some personal changes to it:

Crew Box + Metal Golem / Metal Gamin / Survivor > Neil Henry / Sparks > Willie / Porkchop

I'm going to be putting out a big write-up on Mei when we hit the launch and we see the 1.0 cards, but to just cover a few: Survivors are incredible specifically because of their Reverse Pull-arity trigger on Magnetism to pull a Construct out of trouble and their Throw Yer Arm At 'Em trigger which lets you drop scrap you can ride a beater over to (it's the longest range scrap drop available to Foundry).  Willie is in the bottom tier not because he's bad, he's pretty good, but because in my experience he's a bit more niche in use than the rest.  He really wants to see an enemy summoner to really get the most out of his Shockwaves and if you're going up against a moderately elite crew then he can struggle to have much impact.  Porkchop I just strongly dislike in a crew that relies on Shielded and Armor rather than defensive stats, since it just doesn't have the health to really benefit from Rage Machine and Reckless too often (not to mention being a melee beater with a 0" melee) and if you're keeping it near your crew to benefit from Rage Machine then it's not using it's only other unique trait which is its Mv 6 to drop scrap a little further than usual.  Sparks I'm incredibly torn on... his abilities are incredibly useful, but he needs to be on the front lines to have an impact and defensively he has nothing so he folds VERY fast if he's trying to really do anything.  He has so much potential, but keeping him alive is such a struggle.  Also Rail Workers are in the Crew box but I just wanted to call them out because they're super solid and I strongly suggest taking at least one.  Pneumatic Toss is very useful both against friendlies or enemies, and they're some of the cheapest models with a 2/4/5 track which is always good on its own.  Honestly the fact that all 3 of the Foundry Minions are ones I'd put in the top tier is something I'm really happy about!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...