retnab

Mei Feng: How I learned to stop worrying and love the Foundry

5 hours ago, Gesuma said:

I faced pandora, candy, Teddy, baby kade, wicked doll x3 and vasilisa. I used Mei Fang, Metal Golem, Arcane Emissary, Mechanical Rider, Kang, one Metal Gamin and one Rail Worker. 
Forgeling did not seem to fit the crew at all to me... That burning my own models made me keep him away from the rest of the team. Teddy was pretty much unkillerable with Metal Golem, Rail worker and Arcane all trying to kill it (Teddy just heals too much while Pandora and Candy hurts stuff near Teddy and that terrifying really drains cards on top of Teddy's armor protecting him).

My view point is that Mei Fang seem to miss some better killing power or more "auto" defense. I should had had gotten Diesel Engine - but it feels like those auro should already be on some of the crew.

This was only one game though and Pandora's crew might be too strong at killing.

Mech rider, Golem and one Gamin seemed to provided enough Scrap, but then I never got to use any of it for other than transport - I was basically tabled in turn 4 and I had only killed some of the wicked dolls and pandora's totem.

Maybe Mei Feng is just supposed to run around doing the schemes and strategy while ignoring combat? Seemed like that was my only real option versus Pandora.

Mei's Crew relies heavily on Triggers, and it looks like Pandora's crew is all about applied Stunned. Maybe that's why the match felt so one sided. Maybe a solution would be to allow Kang's Guiding Presence to also work on Stunned? That way the crew wouldn't be completely shut down; you would have a limited number of vetos. 

I've just a doubt about Mei. 

ATM I don't have a single playtest with m3e yet and something could have slipped from my sight.. But how you can hire Kang and railworkers in Arcanists? As far as I know they are only TT models, not dual faction... And the infiltration rule is disappeared. 

1 minute ago, Frollo the Wordbearer said:

I've just a doubt about Mei. 

ATM I don't have a single playtest with m3e yet and something could have slipped from my sight.. But how you can hire Kang and railworkers in Arcanists? As far as I know they are only TT models, not dual faction... And the infiltration rule is disappeared. 

Check the hiring rules. You can hire from your faction, and from models which share a keyword with the leader.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Adran said:

Check the hiring rules. You can hire from your faction, and from models which share a keyword with the leader.

Got it.

I misread that line, obviously then. I thought it was more a clarification like "you hire a model in your faction with the same keyword and you pay no extra cost". 

Thanks

Finally got Mei on the table today vs @Ferdat's Dashel. We both had a blast. I used Mei, Kang, Metal Golem, Envy, Mechanised Porkchop, Mecharachnid, Rail Worker, Forgeling with 6 stones in Turf War. The crew was designed to be entirely construct so I didn't need to worry about vent steam, whilst also denying dropping corpses for Dashel's Sergeants to turn into soulstones.

My initial concerns that Ride the Rails was OP was definitely subdued. It is very very good but, after seeing it on the table, I can see that after taking that first walk you are fairly limited with the second action. I still feel it should be a scrap marker in LoS, or perhaps reduced to 8-10" as 12" could make scheme running super easy. Maybe there should be a penalty for taking the action such as suffer 1 wound

What I was surprised by was the amount of damage output she can do with vent steam! Unless we were playing it wrong, every time a non-construct model within 3" of her takes an action or moves, it suffers one damage. Around turn 3 when Matt's crew was in the middle of the board, vent steam was popping 3 wounds on most of his models just because Mei stood there. We were wondering whether this was as good as we thought, or if we played it wrong? We also thought the hazardous might benefit from changing to hazardous (burning +1) as this would be a small cuddle to the very good dmg output and also provide some accessible burning to the crew. There is a lot of synergy around burning I found very few actions to apply it easily. Could make for some fun!

The only other thing we thought worth reporting was that Kang felt very underwhelming. The crew had a lot of discard to 'x' actions so it was hard to make the most of him whilst keeping resources available. Kang dropped very fast when targeted. Has anyone else found this? We both thought that armour 1 on Kang would go some way to making him a more regular feature. At the moment, I wouldn't hire him again. 

But yeah, Mei was a lot of fun. She will definitely see table time from me in M3E!

You played it correct RE: Hazardous, and that's why I've been pushing for Hazardous to have a cap on how often it triggers because right now it can get absurd.  Glad to hear you had fun with her!

13 minutes ago, retnab said:

You played it correct RE: Hazardous, and that's why I've been pushing for Hazardous to have a cap on how often it triggers because right now it can get absurd.  Glad to hear you had fun with her!

Just asked a question about this in the Kaeris thread. Summary Mie charging with deadly claw, jackhammer and pushing followed by 2 actions doing the same attack results, resulting in burning +10 on her. Do I have my maths right?

Lol just going to copy over my response for people who only read this thread in the future :P Yuuup.  Combo attackers like Mei Feng get totally wrecked by Hazardous.  Played a game where I was trying to score Assassinate against Kirai but my opponent had her hugging Jaakuna and I almost had Mei Feng blow herself up trying to get the Assassinate VP.

Metal Golem needs a buff. At 10ss he is not delivering enough.  Access to a third AP and/or better stats.  

This crew needs more control or at least one model to really put a hurt and get some models off the map. 

26 minutes ago, azgadil said:

Metal Golem needs a buff. At 10ss he is not delivering enough.  Access to a third AP and/or better stats.  

This crew needs more control or at least one model to really put a hurt and get some models off the map. 

Have you played it on the board?  Pain Train's one of the models that has gotten the most work done in my games and I consider it a 100% take personally, especially now that it can also mess with enemy positioning with Off the Rails.

1 hour ago, azgadil said:

I thought it was fine. Tanky, beaty and mobile. I would hire it in most games as it is now. If anything felt underwhelming in the crew, it was Kang.

2 minutes ago, Hollingydale said:

I thought it was fine. Tanky, beaty and mobile. I would hire it in most games as it is now. If anything felt underwhelming in the crew, it was Kang.

Kang got sup super nerfs this edition.

1. His buffing auras are MUCH worse vs constructs now, but are relevant vs other types now, so I think its actually a fine trade off.

2. He no longer gives immunity to terrifying, which is a big deal.

3. He heal also got nerfed, but now no longer requires a soulstone, so eh. 

4. He's no longer hard to kill, which is s tremendous defensive downgrade

All in all, hes a moderate buffer with moderate offensive capabilities, but is actually very squishy on his own. I think the trade off might be that his crew is now better at protecting him than vice versa, the Foundling heals him and metal gamin can give him shielded for example. 

14 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

Kang got sup super nerfs this edition. 

It's not helpful comparing to M2e version, compare to M3e options.

I agree Kang's not someone I'd hire all the time, he's more of a niche hire (mostly anti-Slow and for Focused spam)

26 minutes ago, retnab said:

It's not helpful comparing to M2e version, compare to M3e options.

I agree Kang's not someone I'd hire all the time, he's more of a niche hire (mostly anti-Slow and for Focused spam)

42 minutes ago, Mycellanious said:

All in all, hes a moderate buffer with moderate offensive capabilities, but is actually very squishy on his own. I think the trade off might be that his crew is now better at protecting him than vice versa, the Foundling heals him and metal gamin can give him shielded for example. 

His buff abilities are VERY resource intensive though, as well as his heal. When you're playing in a crew with a 6 card hand and no card draw, I just don't see myself ever benefiting from the discard (except maybe, situationally, the focus). 

I just don't see myself hiring him at the moment with how squishy and resource intensive he is. Armour or HTK might change my mind, or a reduction in his resource requirement. 

I agree he should get hard to kill back.

Would also say no card discard for the ignoring distracted or slow (whilst keeping it for focus).

These 2 things would make kang more useful

• Agree 1

How do we feel about the Foundry hiring pool from a distribution of costs perspective?

I've got my first game with Mei on Thursday and I'm a little meh on having three five cost minion hires and no fours or sixes in theme.  Should something move up or down a point (with corresponding power adjustments) to balance out the pool a bit?

Rail Workers and Survivors both look really uninspiring to me on paper. 

They are pretty rigid in costs, yeah. RW's could go up to 6 cost/health and do pretty well, their 2/4/5 track is already pretty decent for their cost

I'd rather have metal gamin with armor +1 only and cost 4 I think. They are already kind of a tax in ten thunder to play the crew. In Arcanists you can usualy just put an arcane reservoir on it.

What do people think of Willie? He looks okay, but I never find myself grabbing him in my games. That said, can Set Charges be made into a "may"? I can imagine being in a scenario where I accidentally blow up markers I need because a clever opponent walks over to it when Set's up.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, retnab said:

What do people think of Willie? He looks okay, but I never find myself grabbing him in my games. That said, can Set Charges be made into a "may"? I can imagine being in a scenario where I accidentally blow up markers I need because a clever opponent walks over to it when Set's up.

I think he looks ok. Didnt get a chance to use him, but the shockwave makes me think he will be hired in certain matchups.

9 hours ago, retnab said:

He is really fragile and I'm not a great fan of both his :ToS-Fast:.

But : his Throw dynamite Action is quite devastating and your opponent can't just let him live. He still have that little annoying thing that he is affected by Vent steam, like Neill & Sparks, which is very antisynergic in the keyword.. That could be some helpfull kind of protection, but... no.

It's far from being an autotake, I think he is lacking a very little something. But not much since he could easily be OP. Or maybe we just have to take it as a counterpick to destructible terrains.

Had loads of fun with Willie today, though my opponent took Take Prisoner on him so he had free reign. The Shockwave is amazing if you can get it within 3 or more enemy models. Would however like to see a way to apply more direct damage. The actions did feel a bit meh but I think this was because he wasn't getting in the thick of it, so couldn't make the most of Set Charge. Will probably see some playtime vs low mv crews and masters with resist triggers.

Looks extremely fragile though with 7 wounds, df 5, no armour and no HTW/HTK. I'm concerned Willie needs more protection.

58 minutes ago, Hollingydale said:

Looks extremely fragile though with 7 wounds, df 5, no armour and no HTW/HTK. I'm concerned Willie needs more protection.

He is this gangly looking guy running around shirtless, he's not exactly the image of durability :P Giving him back Terrifying would be nice though

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, retnab said:

He is this gangly looking guy running around shirtless, he's not exactly the image of durability :P Giving him back Terrifying would be nice though

Low TN Terrifying could be a thing. He only takes a couple of hits to drop once you're through it.