Starting Bayou/Gremlins in M3

Da Big Baws

I used to play before Gremlins & TT where a faction and I'm returning with 3rd edition. Thinking of starting one of them.  

With M3E just in open beta, I know it's probably too early to say but which of the crew boxes is best to start Bayou/Gremlins? Based on just looks, Ophelia looks best for my taste, followed by Mah Tucket and Zipp but I'm willing to start with something else.

Mah is plain but effective. She yells at her crew to move them and then runs in to melee upside the head with a greatspoon. Easy to learn. Zipp is plain too (zoom around, drop pianos, draw attention by pure awesomeosity and generally make your opponent’s life harder) but it depends on whether you enjoy thwarting plans without killing, or not. Ophelia mostly shoots but she has several options of what kind of gun to shoot and it hasn’t been settled yet which you want to use in each situation (third edition looks like it is going to emphasize counter-picking options against certain masters).

One cool Thing about M3E is, that each Crew-Box seems to be a viable purchase by itself right now, mainly because of Keyword hiring. 

In M2E as soon as you said "I want to Play this Box, they look cool!" somone immediatly said "yeah but you know... you need to buy the neutral Totem. And the Henchman is garbage, you need the other henchmen from the other crewbox!"

That being said, we don't know if M3E will shake up the Crew boxes. I Guess Zipp and Won gNeed new ones since Mancha Roja is now infamous and Wong got Alphonse LeBlanc.

Ophelia sounds  like a safe bet to me. And she also was my first Master :D

• 2 months later...

Not sure if it helps, but Wyrd has mentioned previously that there is a plan for obtaining new models included only in crew boxes in another way for those of us who have already bought in (many of us heavily). Don't recall them releasing any further details but it will be great if it does happen and doesn't require anything other than purchasing from their online store front.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

So the beta is over now, what would you guys advise a new player who is starting Bayou?

I have purchased the Kin box with Merris. I believe she is the most straight forward master within the faction while having enough power. My second buy would be Zipp, since he is my favorite Bayou master and I want another crew for non-killy scheme pool. He is as simple as Ophelia but may require some experience of Malifaux to play well as a control master.

Besides the crew box, I am looking at Big Brain Brin and Bokor. What other generic single models worth taking outside of keyword? I want some tanky pieces, so maybe Mech Porkchop or Gracie?

I think both Porkchop and Gracie are excellent versatile options.

Porkchop is great in zipps crew due to his ability to drop scraps after his activation and give :+flip to attack actions within :aura3". This means chop can engage an enemy and have Mancha or a Wraslter come in after and use that scrap for +1 injured and possible take a damage for that :+flip. Reckless is really useful in setting that up and getting the right angle, with Mv6 its actually pretty easy to get him where he needs to be.  7ss is a bargain for him, IMO.

Gracie is better with Ophelia due to "ride with me". Giving a ride to Ophelia or Francois can be enough Mv to really cause problems early game. she is a good body guard for each of those models as well. If they go in and Gracie lives, she has the potential to also go Reckless and do some serious damage. Armor +2 is helpful in a crew that doesnt have any too. Mv4 and engage of 0" are rough, but her :ToS-Fast: actions make up for that. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who uses Gracie a lot I can attest that she is an excellent versatile option, 

Armor +2, stacked with a well timed lie down and nap trigger (shielded +3) makes her absurdly tanky. She also has a bit of solid built in healing. 

Ride with me me is also really solid in any crew that wants more mobility on key models. Normally I run her around with Burt because it’s thematic. But I can see her getting use elsewhere especially Ophelia’s crew.

She is also a decent at punching. Stampede, reckless, and her tusks make her pretty formidable if you can live the dream and get 3 attacks with a charge. Granted at SPD4 range 0 that’s not common.

As far as Zipp, focus your crew on running schemes. I normally include 2-3 hard hitting and beefy pieces in my Zipp crew to occupy the opposing force while skeeters, first mate, and flying piglets run schemes/harass. He’s ridiculously mobile and hard to pin down. Pianos are really solid control pieces. I’m still learning how to use them for denial. The Zipp box is a great start (obviously) then I recommend Mancha and Gracie. I would buy the Wong box to get mancha. Wong is a really fun master and his crew is a *blast* (heh) to play

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, NAX3011 said:

Hi for Zipp is Mancha needed? He is so ugly...

Whats with Lucky Emissary and Merri Lacroix?

I wouldn't say Mancha is "needed" in a general game, but he and his Wrastlers are important in certain matchups.

Any crews that make a lot of use of dropping different Markers (Misaki's Shadow, Titania's Rampant Growth, etc) can get peeved when you run over and hit your opponent with those markers.

Scheme marker dependent pools can also be made difficult for your opponent if you have a lot of luchadores.

Finally, against any opposing crews that rely on Conditions, either offensively (McMourning, Kaeris, etc), or defensively (stacking large amounts of shielding/focus/etc) can be ruined by Toss in the Mud being prevalent in the crew.

I also take exception to him being ugly. I think he's awesomes! 'Secret' tip, if you give an Iron Skeeter a Tactical Trench Coat Upgrade, he can ferry Mancha around.

I can't really weigh in on the Emissary. He seems reasonable enough, and does the same thing with killing Markers, but I think he'd be more suited to a Wizz-Bang crew, as Aura of Luck seems like a good thing for hitting Glowy (allowing a cheat from the deck to try and fail Shockwave tests), and the one thing Shockwaves and other batch tests (like Make Way) is that they work best in larger numbers. Your opponent can often easily avoid real consequence of 2-3 unopposed duels a turn. Make it 6+, and it starts to become a problem. 10+, and it's a nightmare.

Merris is good. She can hold her own in most situations, and is important if you're facing a range heavy crew.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

So a cute tip for wong, crackling energies affects anyone who passes a dual from his actions. Which means you don’t have to fail to gain glowy!

Im too think mancha is a great mini! And as far as him in Zipps crew? I guess you can play without him. But he’s a really strong brawler and his ability to just take markers and use them as weapons is really potent.

• Agree 1

I think Francois is better than Mancha, unless you face a crew with lots of conditions/markers.

1. You don't have to buy a Trenchcoat for your Iron Skeeter to give Francois a ride.

2. Francois has a shooting attack with high stat and rg, good damage and cool triggers. Mancha can't shoot at all.

3. Francois has higher close combat stat.

4. Francois has higher df/wp and a [+] to resistance duels (most of time).

5. HTK is better than HTW.

6. I love to see my opponent's face when I say "Sketter declares ride with me with Francois" (:

3 hours ago, NAX3011 said:

Just a big question. Somer seems to be a summonint master. What do I need if I want to have a few good picks for his crew.

Wait until the release of the boxes for Som'er. But most likely the basic one and some that has the Bayou Gremlins. With that, it's a good start. After, you can try to get some extra support models like the Banjonistas, Spit Hogs and Gremlin Criers.

My favourite list so far is this one:

Soul Stone Cache: 7
 - Som'er Teeth Jones, Leader
 - Lenny Jones
 - Big Brain Brin
 - Georgy and Olaf
 - Old Cranky
 - Skeeter
 - Skeeter
 - Good Ol' Boy
 - Banjonista

Big Brain Brin is there for the Arcane Reservoir mainly. This crew is very card hungry, so that extra card is a nice addition. The Banjonista is there just to give the free push to everyone. You will want to summon as many Bayou Gremlins as possible and the other support models when you think you need them:

• Good Ol' Boys: Whenever you need more damage.
  • Spit Hog: When you need some healing and movement tricks. You'll be summoning at least 1 each game.
  • Gremlin Crier: For scheming and annoying the enemy big hitter with the slow.

@Scoffer I think that franciox is a option for sure. After playing him with Ophelia I saw just how ludicrous his damage can get. Adversary(Kin) is wasted though. 

One of my big big reasons for taking mancha is tossing out injured and the built in defensive trigger. It makes him really obnoxious to punch back. He also gives you some card draw to keep that hand in good shape thanks to Showboating. He’s just generally been a good anchor for me (especially paired with Gracie) 

I can see pros and cons for both though.

• 2 weeks later...

This is great topic. Thank to it I got general idea about Sommer / Ophelia / Zipp. Can you provide informations regarding other masters?

I played Malifaux for 4 years, but sold my collection because got a little tooo annoyed with state of M2E. Now I want to return and I am looking for "generalist" master for start.

Thank you in advance for help

Most of Bayous masters are quite good at killing (and almost universally bad at staying alive) but for generalists Big Hat (Somer) and Kin (Ophelia) are probably the most universally applicable. Most crews can do most things as usual, and Bayou is no shortage. Zipp and Zoraida are considered the most powerful right now (last I heard) and are great in almost every matchup, but arguably they aren't generalists, just too good. Zipp wants to be the disruptive mobility piece, Zoraida wants card control and obeys, but both dominate the current schemes and strats aside from maybe Reckoning.