Sign in to follow this  
Sebi

Anna Lovelace

Hello!

I am completely new to the Beta of 3rd Edition Malifaux and so please forgive me if I haven't gotten it but there is something rather unnerving for me:

My first crew was and is the Freicorps. I got me every Freicorps model - I am a collector in these regards.

Now I go the strong feeling the in the upcoming 3rd Edition Anna will not be able to be played alongside Schill.

Or did I miss something.

I do not play Ressers. 

Do I have a "not going to be able to be played anymore" model here?

Thanks for the replies.

*worried a bit*

• Agree 2

At the moment, that’s correct. A good number of models lost their ability to hire models they could before. I have an entire crew of showgirls I converted and painted as undead when I saw the AKA Sebastian Baker upgrade I can’t use anymore either.

• Agree 1

Flavorwise it also makes sense. She is Hannah's enemy. It really didn't make any flavor sense to make her Freikorps in the first place.

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

ok ... so I spend money, time and efford on a model I will not be able to play anymore once 3rd Edition goes live.
hmmm... sorry to say it so bluntly but that *edited out... cause I lost my temper a little bit. Sorry.*

• Agree 3

Yup changes happen with new editions. We've all lost a model or two. I still cry a little every night over Killjoy. But The game overall is in a better place with more focused themed crews and a smaller overall hiring pool. 

It does suck a little bit, but if you've ever played a Games Workshop game where anywhere from 50-100% of your gigantic army becomes irrelevant with a new edition the pain of losing one model feels a little softer. 

Your anger will fade and you'll be playing a better game :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Join the club of  "screwed by hiring changes," sadly.

Or don't, vote with your wallet. That's sort of where I'm at, currently. I was waiting for the beta rules to make my final call, and well.. they didn't cut it.

<Modhat> I've just deleted a post, there's no need to be condescending to people who have different opinions, an edition change is hard enough without attacking each other. <Modhat>

• Like 5

Eh. Not a big deal losing Anna. Makes sense fluff-wise. Still got a beutiful model on my shelf. Though I do consider getting Transmortis, since I've already got Anna and Students.

Can always trade her or convert her/proxy to something else.  I also have her from my patriotic Parker Barrows crew where he wore the american flag and she was the statue of liberty. :D

Now she can really be the statue and hang on on some terrain maybe as a fountain centerpiece. 😝

• Haha 5

well, you're in the right faction thread, as here lives the Levi players, and no one got screwed worse over... I'm on all riders and the wrong side of 20 out-of-faction construct and undead models for levi... sigh...

1 hour ago, Caspergad said:

well, you're in the right faction thread, as here lives the Levi players, and no one got screwed worse over... I'm on all riders and the wrong side of 20 out-of-faction construct and undead models for levi... sigh...

20 out-of-faction construct and undead models...

How much of that is Guild/Arcanist for a Hoffman crew?

33 minutes ago, solkan said:

20 out-of-faction construct and undead models...

How much of that is Guild/Arcanist for a Hoffman crew?

I am afraid I don't understand your point...? You saying Hofman players got it worse? Well I don't agree, but then it's good it is not a competition... :)  think people just need some space to "mourn" a bit... personally I think 20 + models are quite a bit to lose, but thats how it is... some will be sold of and some might be gateway to ressers and/or arcanist...

11 minutes ago, Caspergad said:

I am afraid I don't understand your point...? You saying Hofman players got it worse? Well I don't agree, but then it's good it is not a competition... :)  think people just need some space to "mourn" a bit... personally I think 20 + models are quite a bit to lose, but thats how it is... some will be sold of and some might be gateway to ressers and/or arcanist...

I'm saying that if you had 20 a random grab bag of Constructs and Undead, random chance would give you good odds of having an Arcanist crew, a Guild crew, or Resser crew.  Or at least a good start on one.  And since Hoffman's cross faction Guild/Arcanists...

Disclaimer:  I don't speak performative mourning.

• Like 1

I think not. Hoffman hasn't los any model but Ryle, and gained new henchman. 

Leveticus is the master who has lost more profiles, and Outcast is the faction with more models lost

Thankfully I've only lost Anna Lovelace and three Seishins. 

3 hours ago, Zebo said:

I think not. Hoffman hasn't los any model but Ryle, and gained new henchman. 

Leveticus is the master who has lost more profiles, and Outcast is the faction with more models lost

Thankfully I've only lost Anna Lovelace and three Seishins. 

I have a feeling if you really want to check Marcus and Zoraida lost access to a larger number of models than Levi did (don't forget all those outcast Mercs that they can no longer hire). ( You can probably also put McCabe, McMorning, Tara, Misaki and Lynch above him as well. They lost a whole faction of possible models ).

But as said, its not a competition. Not being able to use a model you own is always a sad day.

The point he was trying to make (and kind of failed) was that Hoffman now picked up the ‘hire the right crew from a broader selection of models’ playstyle that Leveticus used to have, so pariah players can change over to Hoffman, install some long tiny-teddy-like claws on Anna as a proxy for Miss Kore and possible anchor point for a roaming spirit, and still use a selection of exactly the construct tools for the job plus surprising violence in master melee.

On 1/17/2019 at 3:06 PM, Kolath said:

Flavorwise it also makes sense. She is Hannah's enemy. It really didn't make any flavor sense to make her Freikorps in the first place.

Wasn’t the ‘maximum seething restrained hostilities’ list both of them gone mercenary into Guild, anyway?

On 1/17/2019 at 10:06 PM, Kolath said:

Well, flavorwise friendship, hate or loyalty never has been an issue to be a part of the same crew in Malifaux. At least Doc Mitchell and Earl Burns are prisoners in their crews (and almost would say the same about Jakob Lynch), and Nekima has been a Henchman of Lilith despite hating her for a long time. 

6 hours ago, Zebo said:

Well, flavorwise friendship, hate or loyalty never has been an issue to be a part of the same crew in Malifaux. At least Doc Mitchell and Earl Burns are prisoners in their crews (and almost would say the same about Jakob Lynch), and Nekima has been a Henchman of Lilith despite hating her for a long time. 

Dont forget about the enslaved nephilim, Scales of justice and Sonnia's witchlings! 😊

Maybe Banasuva too.

Marlena doesn’t want to be here either! (Don’t ask about the waifs.)

1 hour ago, Franchute said:

Dont forget about the enslaved nephilim, Scales of justice and Sonnia's witchlings! 😊

Maybe Banasuva too.

Nonsense. All the Witchlings are happy to serve us loyally, or they would be happy if they still had emotion with which to feel happiness.

• Haha 4

Yes you "lost" a model. Most people lost at least one or two. Its a new edition, these things happen. But the game is better, and maybe you'll find another use for her. Cross faction hiring and bloat was killing the game, something needed to happen. 

On 1/17/2019 at 8:06 PM, Liched said:

The new hiring changes solved the problem of every crew basically being the same, by making every crew basically the same?

No, you're missing it entirely. Sure, one Von Schill crew may look more or less like the other, but a Vonshill crew will not look like a Jack Daw crew. 

At Gencon, between the four arcanist players I saw, there were:
3 different masters
9 Oxfordian Mages
4 Captains
3 Amina Naidus
2 or 3 Medical Automatons
Sprinkle in Slate Ridge Maulers to taste

Now that was with 3 different masters, and every crew looked more or less the same, and every one of them had multiple models in common. That is a problem, and as far as I can tell, it has been fixed with 3e hiring 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, cbtb11235813 said:

Cross faction hiring and bloat was killing the game, something needed to happen. 

Cross faction hasn't gone anywhere. Keywords keep being spread (less than before, indeed). 

Not saying Anna should return, I mean, she should but it's not gonna happen, and her current profile probably doesn't fit at all with Freikorps. 

32 minutes ago, Zebo said:

Cross faction hasn't gone anywhere. Keywords keep being spread (less than before, indeed). 

Not saying Anna should return, I mean, she should but it's not gonna happen, and her current profile probably doesn't fit at all with Freikorps. 

Cross faction hiring is down significantly from before though. Yes some masters can grab a couple of models across factions, but nothing that comes even close to 2e Marcus/Leveticus

6 hours ago, cbtb11235813 said:

Yes you "lost" a model. Most people lost at least one or two. Its a new edition, these things happen. But the game is better, and maybe you'll find another use for her. Cross faction hiring and bloat was killing the game, something needed to happen. 

No, you're missing it entirely. Sure, one Von Schill crew may look more or less like the other, but a Vonshill crew will not look like a Jack Daw crew. 

At Gencon, between the four arcanist players I saw, there were:
3 different masters
9 Oxfordian Mages
4 Captains
3 Amina Naidus
2 or 3 Medical Automatons
Sprinkle in Slate Ridge Maulers to taste

Now that was with 3 different masters, and every crew looked more or less the same, and every one of them had multiple models in common. That is a problem, and as far as I can tell, it has been fixed with 3e hiring 

The thing I was referring to was that every crew is now gonna look the same. Every Schill crew is gonna look basically the same. You're punished for hiring out of keyword and are not in any way incentivised to do so. This means that if the crew you play has less tools than your opponents crew, you are at a severe disadvantage even from the beginning where you either have to pay more to counterpick them or just accept the fact that they have access to more effective things than you. 

I completely understand why they did it and I'm not gonna claim that M2e was better. I just don't like the fact that Wyrd is pushing you to play a crew in one very specific way and the crews that are more powerful or have better inhouse tools are simply gonna come out on top, since the option is to pay more for a model that doesn't synergise with your crew (less bad for some). 

(Since counter-picking is easier in M3e having a larger hiring pool gives you an advantage that was present in M2e, but one not as signiificant as in M3e)