Chilbi

Voodoo Curse functionality

Voodoo Curse feels a little too weak currently. Since damage on Conditions has already been reigned in considerably, condition stacking has been made more difficult, and the Voodoo Doll's health has been lowered to 3 it seems like all of the "problems" with 2nd Hemmed In have been removed. Add to that the Voodoo Doll removing conditions from itself at the beginning of its Activation, it's extremely difficult to double down on Poison/Burning damage.

So if Voodoo Curse now only does 1 damage and a 1 condition rating then it doesn't seem worth spending any AP - even from a 4 stone model - to gain any benefit from it. In it's current state Distracted or Injured are probably the only things worth shooting for, as it seems very difficult to give your own models Slow or Stunned. 

Even if damage transferred at a 1-to-1 basis the enemy model would still only be taking 3 damage in one "hit" before the Doll died. Which is more worth the cost of a card and AP because that's a solid Weak damage swing. It's "guaranteed" damage at the cost of more setup time. And if the conditions transferred at a 1-to-1 basis it would be a similar situation. It takes +4 for Burning or Poison to do 2 damage, that's going to be a lot of work for a non-specialized crew. And there are few other places that Neverborn capitalize on a target having either condition (Adze being the only one I can think of off hand). 

I can, however, see how crippling it would be to stack up a high number of Distracted or Injured on a target making them all but unable to do anything for the remainder of the turn/game.

I can also see some potential in AP efficiency of killing a Voodoo Doll in one swing, doing 3 damage to it's Cursed target, and getting a scrap marker for McTavish to eat, Vasilisa or Widow Weaver to summon off of, or what-have-you.

Well, anyway, here's Wonderwall

• Agree 2

@HegemonyKrcketwhat do you mean it's difficult to give stunned or slow?

With a crow and a single ap a will'o wisp can give stunned, distracted +1 and slow... That is insane. 

A wicked doll can give adversary, slow and/or staggered.

Furthermore there's no way to resist getting the curse and removing it is extremely expensive. It doesn't even cost a card to summon the doll. 

I truly cannot see how this is bad. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

Sadly Adze's Firefly Trigger "Rising Flames" doesn't effect friendly models otherwise it would add Burning +4 and 1 damage to all Voodoo Curse target when hitting the Doll.

Linked Fate: ... If an enemy Voodoo Doll gains a Condition, this model gains the same Condition with a total value of +1 (if applicable).

13 hours ago, HegemonyKrcket said:

I can also see some potential in AP efficiency of killing a Voodoo Doll in one swing, doing 3 damage to it's Cursed target

You can't transfer 3 dmg in one swing. Transferred damage is always 1.
EDIT: Sorry, misread. that's what you get for reading with one eye while working :P

7 hours ago, Angelshard said:

@HegemonyKrcketwhat do you mean it's difficult to give stunned or slow?

With a crow and a single ap a will'o wisp can give stunned, distracted +1 and slow... That is insane. 

A wicked doll can give adversary, slow and/or staggered.

Furthermore there's no way to resist getting the curse and removing it is extremely expensive. It doesn't even cost a card to summon the doll. 

I truly cannot see how this is bad. 

I forgot about the Will-o-wisp. So, yes, that would be very good... thank you for that as I'm doing another test game tonight (LOL).

Summoning the doll does take a card, but it's a discard so it can be a Black Jocker... so it's not that much of a cost. Especially compared to the two actions from before.

7 hours ago, Domin said:

And don't forget that the curse is irresistable even for Masters, making "the puppet show" a powerfull tool to fight with them. 

I also forgot about it being able to work on Masters, based on assumption left over from M2E.

So I guess my biggest feeling of loss is the ability to use Burning/Poison effectively. Obviously I don't want it to be as effective as McMourning or Kaeris, but still worth the AP. And that the damage transfer is a little too weak, even considering wanting to reign in damage.

Summoning the doll does take a card, but it's a discard so it can be a Black Jocker... so it's not that much of a cost. Especially compared to the two actions from before.

But it can commit suicide to draw a card) so it's totally worth discarding a card.

Tangential Question: Can models still relent to friendly Attacks? If so, is the friendly Attacker allowed to declare triggers? I haven't found a place in the rules where it says yes/no specifically... but I've also not combed over them more than once.