CustosUmbra

New Hoffman.

Had a closer look and guardians look pretty hardcore. They feel a bit too expensive to just use for pushing but I guess they can counterpunch the next turn if the rest of the crew is mostly ranged. Almost everything went up in price so looks like he'll be running very elite crews. Watchers are pretty decent scheme runner for 4ss though, almost regret trading my third one away. :) 

35 minutes ago, IronmanKC81 said:

Hunters are bad, like really bad. Probably the worst 8 SS model in the game. 

Care to explain why? I think they were the MVPs of my crew. Fast, decent defense, decent offense, harpoons.

8 hours ago, Morgan Vening said:

Most crews have access to some kind of "Ignore Armor" ability, even if it's out of Keyword.

As you know your opponent's Leader before selecting crews, it's pretty important to take into account some countering options. Like Shockwaves to get around Vengeance in Kirai's crew, or Condition Removal against McMourning. Don't need to go nuts, but splashing in some models that can ignore it, or more importantly, that can make all other models ignore it.

Except for Neverborn, all crews have access to at least one model with Analyze Weakness. 

Armor is a trap (which makes me irked we had to pay for it twice in reduced stats AND the loss of wounds compared to hiring cost (( @IronmanKC81 that fewer-wounds-than-cost breakpoint had to go somewhere and now it’s been laden onto the super situational counter-hire ‘bot, best that could be done)) ) and ignoring armor is a trap. This is the edition of mass sources of passive damage and death by a thousand cuts, which tears through all passive defensive tech, thank you minimum 1 damage and/or targeting required for retaliation. New motto is ‘Kill them before they ping you down’. Fortunately Hoffman can also bring death by a thousand cuts (as well as the traditional ‘beat them to death with efficient industrial design’) if the opponent calls for it, and Guild is a faction for ping healing. Bring our own mobile hazardous terrain and fast, sturdy minion, mobile grenade platforms. Beat down the opposing healing blocker(s). Weld some plate onto the effigy even it’s strictly decorative this edition. Do NOT let Hoffman take the hit, he can’t heal HIMSELF.

• Like 1

I want to get more trials of ArcHoff using the metal golem for extra movement, but it is so expensive (11ss!) that it probably self-relegates to ‘amusing jank that has no place in competitive play’ status, unless you were planning a hazardous terrain build to begin with.

9 hours ago, Sybarite said:

Yeah, how do people move him around? Walk, toss? Spending too many AP on move 4 masters to move always makes me sad =D 

IF Guardian tosses, then it lags behind. Hmm

How I played it in closed beta is Hoffman gives guardian fast amongst other things. Then guardian tossed Hoffman and runs after him =P then turn 2 you are close enough to do stuff without hoffman being miles behind

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Higgybeans said:

How I played it in closed beta is Hoffman gives guardian fast amongst other things. Then guardian tossed Hoffman and runs after him =P then turn 2 you are close enough to do stuff without hoffman being miles behind

I was using Hoffman to give fast to Melissa and Joss, used toss on Joss to throw him in front for his suicide run and walked Hoffman once or twice a game. 

Just had to keep him in the center to hand out buffs, which can be difficult, but not out of the realm of possibility. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Higgybeans said:

I didn't have a joss, in my game it was fast to peacekeeper, melissa, guardian. Being able to shoot t1 with melissa is super nice! Run and gun baby!

Melissa Kore under Hoffman is great. Can’t wait to see what this model looks like 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2019 at 9:33 AM, Higgybeans said:

I did the exact same thing.  Also do keep in mind re: Guardians feeling pricy that as minions they can reap the full benefit of upgrades.  A Guardian with Diesel Engine can be a surprising deterrent.

47 minutes ago, TwoDee said:

I did the exact same thing.  Also do keep in mind re: Guardians feeling pricy that as minions they can reap the full benefit of upgrades.  A Guardian with Diesel Engine can be a surprising deterrent.

I don't see  Diesel Engine in the Guild Upgrade list. Its time to Call 0-800-WITCH-HUNTERS (yes, Malifaux phone numbers are that long)

• Haha 4

power token system too much spend time :(

for using armor+2 we spend wound and df stat. so easy to hit by triggers and weak at a lot of small damage hitting (like black blood)

hunter cost too much. 

for hoffman crew arcanist upgrade is much useful than guild upgrade

arcanist crew much fit at hoffman. they have many construct (emissary, rider, steam arac..)

guild hoffman need something new  

• Agree 2

On 1/18/2019 at 8:12 AM, Seamus’s BFF said:

What are your Hoffman crews looking like? I’ve got some models and I’m looking for a place to start.

I start with the attack style I want to bring. If I think I can accomplish melee against an elite crew, peacekeeper and guardians and plan on Hoffman actually meleeing also. If I won’t reach melee but guns will do, Miss Kore (only if Ryle isn’t available, I prefer him to her for gunnery) and hunters. Shockwaves against models that punish me for targeting them? Miss Kore and two sturdy mid-cost stompybot minions to hold Run and Gun (effigy also a candidate). Hazardous chokepoint against models that like to generate extra actions*? Howard Langston and a steamfitter to hold it, and rejoice that we are a crew which doesn’t suffer from its own hazardous terrain. If I expect extra actions but there’s no chokepoint, riotbreaker.

*making coordinated attack melee models cry is fun

On 1/19/2019 at 1:06 AM, trikk said:

I don't see  Diesel Engine in the Guild Upgrade list. Its time to Call 0-800-WITCH-HUNTERS (yes, Malifaux phone numbers are that long)

Guh, guess that didn't make it through Closed Beta.  Let me refamiliarize myself...

On 1/19/2019 at 9:39 AM, Gnomezilla said:

I start with the attack style I want to bring. If I think I can accomplish melee against an elite crew, peacekeeper and guardians and plan on Hoffman actually meleeing also. If I won’t reach melee but guns will do, Miss Kore (only if Ryle isn’t available, I prefer him to her for gunnery) and hunters.

I've been theorycrafting a DMH list taking both Ryle and Kore to turn Hoffman into more of a shooting and engagement control master.  It seems very expensive to do what I want, however.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:01 AM, IronmanKC81 said:

Hunters are bad, like really bad. Probably the worst 8 SS model in the game. 

What.
They're so good, though. Mv 6, and with soulstone cache in Arcanists, they're absolute murder machines, able to stone+power token for minimum damage 4 with no carded suit. They're not significantly weaker than guardians for defense, and instead gain so much mobility, between base stat and deadly pursuit. In guild, the shoot-good upgrade is also good on them. I've been nothing but really impressed with them in the 3 games I've done with them so far (twice in CB, once in OB)

On 1/18/2019 at 6:12 AM, Seamus’s BFF said:

What are your Hoffman crews looking like? I’ve got some models and I’m looking for a place to start.

This is my standard Hoffman starting place.

Then I switch things in or out based on the opponent and context (and if there's anything in particular I want to try out).

I just like having a little bit of everything, but in some cases I'd lose one minion to take an extra of another (e.g. Warden <-> Hunter).

I don't have the models for Mobile Toolkit or Medical Automaton yet though, so when I get those I will have to figure out how they fit in.

Screenshot_20190207-084735.png

8 hours ago, Kharnage said:

What.
They're so good, though. Mv 6, and with soulstone cache in Arcanists, they're absolute murder machines, able to stone+power token for minimum damage 4 with no carded suit. They're not significantly weaker than guardians for defense, and instead gain so much mobility, between base stat and deadly pursuit. In guild, the shoot-good upgrade is also good on them. I've been nothing but really impressed with them in the 3 games I've done with them so far (twice in CB, once in OB)

I’ve had zero success. Maybe I’ll try them out in arcanist? How are you taking them?

32 minutes ago, IronmanKC81 said:

I’ve had zero success. Maybe I’ll try them out in arcanist? How are you taking them?

He sticks one of the aforementioned upgrades on ‘em and then beats up my undercover agent (I forget what I was playing the third game). Or no, it was Grimwell last game, stoning&tokening for high minimums so Hoffman could use the good cards for his damage track instead. But it would’ve been the agent next.

24 minutes ago, IronmanKC81 said:

You can't stone with a hunter though. 

You can, if you give him Soulstone Cache.

I do not recommend it though, as the Witch Hunters are watching

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

On 1/22/2019 at 7:34 PM, TwoDee said:

Guh, guess that didn't make it through Closed Beta.  Let me refamiliarize myself...

Diesel Engine is an arcanist upgrade, not a guild one.

But saying that, the clockwork grenade works on so many good things *cough* hunters *cough*

It is really nice being able to charge shoot harpoon gun, pull into melee and claw them. Super good value!

• Like 1

Played against Tara, and boy did I miss Command Construct when giving Fast to my models was a bad idea.

It was also my first time trying Joss with Hoffman. I loaded him up with 5-6 power tokens and fast on turn one (figured Tara wouldn't send someone across the map to be stomped by my whole team), then Tossed him with Guardian. Joss Electrical Discharged Pride, then charged him and murdered him, sparing me a whole level of torment on top of Tara hard countering me for the rest of the game. 

And surprisingly, Joss survived until turn 5, smacking his way across the field, which was a nice bonus.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dzlier said:

Played against Tara, and boy did I miss Command Construct when giving Fast to my models was a bad idea.

It was also my first time trying Joss with Hoffman. I loaded him up with 5-6 power tokens and fast on turn one (figured Tara wouldn't send someone across the map to be stomped by my whole team), then Tossed him with Guardian. Joss Electrical Discharged Pride, then charged him and murdered him, sparing me a whole level of torment on top of Tara hard countering me for the rest of the game. 

And surprisingly, Joss survived until turn 5, smacking his way across the field, which was a nice bonus.

I think you should give him 3 Focuses T1 and Charge with him T2 :P. Those irreducable Min 4 smacks will be pretty silly.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 8:19 AM, trikk said:

What I miss most about off (and what you will too) is the lack of Magnetic 😜

Yes, he is very slow. Maybe a Magnetic like in M2E would be a little bit to much,

but what about Rush for him? He could move 6" once per turn and therefore keep up with his crew.

And concerning his lore, that could be a pneumatic support by his exo-skeleton....