Jump to content
CustosUmbra

New Hoffman.

Recommended Posts

So, how do you like this edition's Hoffman?

I feel like he became less cluncky to use and got more freedom in his actions, without caring about looping all possible models and having to cluster the robots around him for max. efficiency.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy the fact that he doesn't have to play around the bubble and looping as much. I mean, many models will still want to be close for free power tokens, but at least his whole turn isn't just hand out loop and then obeying a construct. Overcharge is a cool ability that adds a little bit of offensive pulsing to the crew. The healing and analyze weakness mean that he can support in multiple ways. I'm glad my opponents (probably) won't get lost during his activation anymore. 

I'm excited to use my hunters again. I like the cool mech cats, but they felt like they had fallen behind near the end of 2E when compared to the minions that came out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alerteddonkey42 said:

I enjoy the fact that he doesn't have to play around the bubble and looping as much. I mean, many models will still want to be close for free power tokens, but at least his whole turn isn't just hand out loop and then obeying a construct. Overcharge is a cool ability that adds a little bit of offensive pulsing to the crew. The healing and analyze weakness mean that he can support in multiple ways. I'm glad my opponents (probably) won't get lost during his activation anymore. 

I'm excited to use my hunters again. I like the cool mech cats, but they felt like they had fallen behind near the end of 2E when compared to the minions that came out. 

Cats are cool and Guardian seems very cool. Everything with Armor +2 means in some matchups you just have to scratch them to death...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alerteddonkey42 said:

 I'm glad my opponents (probably) won't get lost during his activation anymore.

I'm excited to use my hunters again. I like the cool mech cats, but they felt like they had fallen behind near the end of 2E when compared to the minions that came out. 

Well, yes. My frequent opponents used to say things like: "Oh, it's Hoff's activation? Mind if I go get coffee for us while you play with yourself for the next 10 minutes?"

He definitely plays much faster and isn't so much restricted in his actions. And at times ge can do out right hilatious things, like sniping with his Torch XD

A bit sad I can't force Exorcists to synergise with Hoffman anymore. I was enjoying my Cyber-Undead hunting team, with Hoffman accusing machines of actually being Undead and Exorcists smiting them with disapproval.

And yes, Hunters are in a much better place now)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, trikk said:

Cats are cool and Guardian seems very cool. Everything with Armor +2 means in some matchups you just have to scratch them to death...

Most crews have access to some kind of "Ignore Armor" ability, even if it's out of Keyword.

As you know your opponent's Leader before selecting crews, it's pretty important to take into account some countering options. Like Shockwaves to get around Vengeance in Kirai's crew, or Condition Removal against McMourning. Don't need to go nuts, but splashing in some models that can ignore it, or more importantly, that can make all other models ignore it.

Except for Neverborn, all crews have access to at least one model with Analyze Weakness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Morgan Vening said:

Most crews have access to some kind of "Ignore Armor" ability, even if it's out of Keyword.

As you know your opponent's Leader before selecting crews, it's pretty important to take into account some countering options. Like Shockwaves to get around Vengeance in Kirai's crew, or Condition Removal against McMourning. Don't need to go nuts, but splashing in some models that can ignore it, or more importantly, that can make all other models ignore it.

Except for Neverborn, all crews have access to at least one model with Analyze Weakness. 

Of course, but:
a) that model might have 0 synergy with your crew
b) he becomes a high priority target
c) Analyze Weakness can, like, not go off and has limited range.

 

That being said, my comment wasn't a balancing one, more likely an observation. I'm far from saying that its an issue.

 

What I miss most about off (and what you will too) is the lack of Magnetic 😜

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, how do people move him around? Walk, toss? Spending too many AP on move 4 masters to move always makes me sad =D 

IF Guardian tosses, then it lags behind. Hmm

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ludvig said:

Wait, Hoffman needs to walk like some dirty peasant?! That is outrageous I'll stick to m2e! :D

zfz72.jpg

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So in my experince with play testing him he felt a little underwhelming if I am honest. I feel he lost alot of his flavour and in the games I played spent the entire time going "we need more power" and "oh crap another bit fell off the peacekeeper get my welding touch out again"

The models around him are cool and I can see what they are ment for, but they cost so much. I thought hunters were to expensive last edition for 7 and I don't think they do much more for 8 now so the price points off I would say.

All in all I will try him again but he lacks alot of fun for me as he just heals constructs really in games I have played.

So please people play test Hoffman and see what you think! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ferdat said:

So in my experince with play testing him he felt a little underwhelming if I am honest. I feel he lost alot of his flavour and in the games I played spent the entire time going "we need more power" and "oh crap another bit fell off the peacekeeper get my welding touch out again"

The models around him are cool and I can see what they are ment for, but they cost so much. I thought hunters were to expensive last edition for 7 and I don't think they do much more for 8 now so the price points off I would say.

All in all I will try him again but he lacks alot of fun for me as he just heals constructs really in games I have played.

So please people play test Hoffman and see what you think! 

I played a game with him and my biggest issue is that he is super slow and really needs a Guardian. His card looks like he's interesting but its mostly: activate for bubble, transfer power from crap models to good models, give 2-3 fasts and thats it. I didn't play vs anything with Armor so Analyze weakness might be an useful but the 1" torch doesn't seem very useful as a heal (because you either need a bunch of tokens or you need to make 1-2 walks to use it).

 

Both hunters seemed like MVPs however. The 0 started being useful and with enough tokens they can actually put some hurt while being durable enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Wait, Hoffman needs to walk like some dirty peasant?! That is outrageous I'll stick to m2e! :D

Laugh if you want, but I've had this issue with a couple of relatively slow, but still low range masters.  Needing to use all your AP for moving your matter was something we saw in m2e as a real problem, and even with magnetic Hoffman never really came together in m2e until he was given a leap. I think you are really going to have to use harpoons to drag things in in a Hoffman crew, which is a mixed bag depending on terrain.

It may be that his crew is better than i think and he's gonna be really good, but right now I am just not seeing it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Idk. If you really want to move Hoffman around, you can use his crew's Transfer Power with those who don't really need those Power Tokens to push him around. In turn, he can relocate those Tokens later in the game or, well... use them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CustosUmbra said:

Idk. If you really want to move Hoffman around, you can use his crew's Transfer Power with those who don't really need those Power Tokens to push him around. In turn, he can relocate those Tokens later in the game or, well... use them.

Its actually a pretty decent move Turn 1 but T2 it starts to dictate your activation order "Unless I activate my master 4th, all he can do is 2 walks and a fast".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, trikk said:

Its actually a pretty decent move Turn 1 but T2 it starts to dictate your activation order "Unless I activate my master 4th, all he can do is 2 walks and a fast".

And that's exactly where Guardian's Toss comes into play =P
The crew is pretty mobile when you think about it, just in a very odd way.
And I like how easy it is to disengage your friendlies outside of their activation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CustosUmbra said:

And that's exactly where Guardian's Toss comes into play =P
The crew is pretty mobile when you think about it, just in a very odd way.
And I like how easy it is to disengage your friendlies outside of their activation.

Oh, I agree. I just think Hoffman's activation will be pretty boring. 3x Fast and Emergency Power Transfer 90% of the time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, trikk said:

Oh, I agree. I just think Hoffman's activation will be pretty boring. 3x Fast and Emergency Power Transfer 90% of the time.

Eh. Still better than his most regular M2E loadout)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CustosUmbra said:

Eh. Still better than his most regular M2E loadout)

I dunno, with the upgrades he was actually pretty versatile. Jump/Upgrades/Obeys/O.S.A ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, trikk said:

I dunno, with the upgrades he was actually pretty versatile. Jump/Upgrades/Obeys/O.S.A ;)

 To be fair, jump was extremely situational, OSA was mostly used to Obey or Loop more models and Upgrades had a "fixed" owners for best performance. It was still enjoyable, though ^_^

What I really liked were Cyborg upgrades..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CustosUmbra said:

 To be fair, jump was extremely situational, OSA was mostly used to Obey or Loop more models and Upgrades had a "fixed" owners for best performance. It was still enjoyable, though ^_^

What I really liked were Cyborg upgrades..

That is wild, because while I thought I would really dig the cyborg upgrades, I found the jump to be the missing piece with him I didn't know I needed.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 4thstringer said:

That is wild, because while I thought I would really dig the cyborg upgrades, I found the jump to be the missing piece with him I didn't know I needed.

I jumped with that mofo like he was the Tiger from Winnie The Pooh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, trikk said:

I jumped with that mofo like he was the Tiger from Winnie The Pooh!

Its really cool to see because the best possible place for a game to be is multiple people looking at the options in front of them and having very different experiences with those options.  Variety of play and all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess that depends on playgroup members' playstyles and how players adapt to each others' actions.

I prefered to keep my crew fixed at all times and created those scrap markers every time just for that purpose. My needs for mobility were covered by Hoff's Magnetic)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve played a lot of Hoffman games as well and things I’ve found are overcharge is great, his zero is almost useless and too situational, and guardians aren’t really “guardians” anymore. 

Guardians have a great attack now, but are not good on defense anymore. Yes, armor 2, I know, but DF 5 WP 4? The guardian lost the heal, lose defense and WP, and increases 2 SS. 

 

Hunters are bad, like really bad. Probably the worst 8 SS model in the game. 

I’ve been taking Joss and I’m not a huge fan. I use the guardian as a Joss delivery system after I load  him up with power tokens and dare someone to kill him. He doesn’t do much damage, he just kinda hangs out slapping a model around until he kills that one model and everyone runs from him or he goes off scheme running because it took him 3 turns to kill that one model. 

I haven’t figured out what to use riotbreaker for...  seriously, what is the deal with that model? 

Melissa Kore is great. 

I typically use Hoffman to hand out two overcharges then walk first turn and he gets parked in the center of the table next to the slow guardian who just tossed Joss then hands out overcharge to Kore and another model while trying to put weakness on something. 

He’s ok, just needs a little bit of work 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...