Idle TOS Curiosity

Gullinbursti

Hi folks, I just wanted to ask a couple questions. I'm not sure if these have answers already thanks to things like gencon interviews, but if they do, I'd love to hear the answers.

Firstly, I wondered if Wyrdscapes has plans to make terrain for TOS. I'd personally love to see things like some Abyssinian homes/shops, King's Empire trench works, Burning Man churches etc. 

Secondly, I was wondering if there are any plans to have non-Titan vehicles added in the future, I'd love to see some steam punk-esque early tanks, crab carriers, maybe even early planes etc.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Gullinbursti said:

Secondly, I was wondering if there are any plans to have non-Titan vehicles added in the future, I'd love to see some steam punk-esque early tanks, crab carriers, maybe even early planes etc.

You're making the Abyssinian Marauder and the Kings Empire Motor Scout sad by ignoring their non-titan vehicularity.  :( 

• Like 1

On the subject of vehicles, I think there's a category of vehicles that generally aren't function in sort of wargame:  transport vehicles.  The game has a fixed number of turns, the need to get models across the table, and no rules in the main book for one unit to carry another unit.  So I wouldn't hold my breath concerning APCs.  

As far as "support zeppelins" and the like, there's already some mention of those things as off the table support elements.  If they put flying unit into the game, you're going to have to deal with the Gibbering Hordes "Obviously can't fly" units attacking them, and that's just going to make everyone sad.  If it looks like Steampunk 40K on the table, no one's going to be happy.

The other problem is going to be model scale.  The Abyssinia Dreadnought is probably at 80% or so scale compared to the rest of the faction.  That's a three legged walker with three people riding it.  In comparison, the two Abyssinian Combined Arms titans are 80mm bases and in the same scale as the rest of the faction.  Crab style walkers are going to end up with Dreadnought Scale Disease.

On the other hand, if I had to bet I'd say that the Guild is probably the faction most likely to end with "Early 1900's Super Tank" as a vehicle option.  Although I think there's already artwork of giant Peacekeeper style robots, and I don't think "Early 1900's Super Tank" beats that.  But the late Governor did have that siege train thing, so it's possible.

The game having a basically 2D height system (High/Low) means that "flying" models a la 40K are basically impossible to do without redoing the entire LoS/terrain system.  That said, there's nothing stopping them from making an Envoy in the future with tanks or whatnot.

Hm, I'd personally hope that over time the additional books will add supplementary rules. For example, I could see fliers being added in by adding an additional height to the LOS rules. Something along the lines of the current Titan LOS rules but with an addition of something like "LOS can't be blocked, however fireteams may gain cover against fliers" or something similar. Then there would be hieghts "Low/High/Flier". Without things like this being added over time I'd be very sad to see TOS die out over the next year or two. Rules injections, new units, campaigns etc are the lifeblood of tabletop wargames.

1 hour ago, Gullinbursti said:

Hm, I'd personally hope that over time the additional books will add supplementary rules. For example, I could see fliers being added in by adding an additional height to the LOS rules. Something along the lines of the current Titan LOS rules but with an addition of something like "LOS can't be blocked, however fireteams may gain cover against fliers" or something similar. Then there would be hieghts "Low/High/Flier". Without things like this being added over time I'd be very sad to see TOS die out over the next year or two. Rules injections, new units, campaigns etc are the lifeblood of tabletop wargames.

RE: flyers, strongly disagree but YMMV.  We already know there's more units coming out, the back of the core rulebook teases the next couple allegiances and envoys.

• Agree 1

Oh I know, really looking forward to Three Kingdoms and Kimon. When I said new units, I meant new unit types sorry. At the moment we have Fireteams, Combined Arms Fireteams, Titans, Commanders and Champion. My bad examples aside, I'd personally like to see some additions just to give more diversity to the rules and list building. It would also open up commanders to supporting more specialized builds, say a tank commander who gives tanks a bonus token or a Arm buff.

4 minutes ago, Gullinbursti said:

Oh I know, really looking forward to Three Kingdoms and Kimon. When I said new units, I meant new unit types sorry. At the moment we have Fireteams, Combined Arms Fireteams, Titans, Commanders and Champion. My bad examples aside, I'd personally like to see some additions just to give more diversity to the rules and list building. It would also open up commanders to supporting more specialized builds, say a tank commander who gives tanks a bonus token or a Arm buff.

We kind of have that in Kassa, supporting titans in particular. More variety will come with time.