Models you'd like new sculpts for

Da Git

So with at least part of the range getting redone, what models are you really looking forwards to or are in desperate need of resculpts?

The big ones I'd like to see are Fuhatsu and Toshiro for in dire need.  Toshiro's sculps is kind of boring and looks like he's about to sit down. I'd like something more dynamic with him directing his troops forward. Fuhatsu I'd like to see something that's less comical in both fluff and sculpt. It's great that they've included a disabled person, but that last line in his fluff piece just annoys me (I had had a friend who sometimes took his pants off at rather inappropriate times... management didn't appreciate it)

The sculpts I'm looking forward to are pretty much all the 10T masters! The artwork for Lynch & Yan in book 5 were awesome!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think having new alternate sculpts is an excellent way of accommodating varying tastes ,keeps modellers happy and tables varied....but regardless of faction in future releases I would like ALL of them to be DARKER ....goofy or wacky are excellent for Nightmare editions.... keep it DARK  ......and somewhere on the edge of creepy....and if at all possible right at the very edge of "is this PC ?" because IMHO children should be playing Hungry Hippo not Malifaux... 

....it would be beyond fantastic if human sculpts could start returning to proper proportions like the Beckoners or any of McCabe's box or Mounted Guards (all superb figures in every way) and NOT cartoon characters like the "should I be auditioning for Monsters Inc ?" Cyclops or the recently previewed M3E Captain Vanilla Dashael ....

Having said all that until quite recently I still think most of Malifaux's  range is pretty cutting edge....

...so....top of my very short list....THE ILLUMINATED...I look at Goryo or some of the Cult of Burning Man sculpts from TOS and the Illuminated might could do with a rework....would also really like to see some much more worrying WALDGEIST...bigger pieces...wouldn't even mind just one in a box if it contained enough parts to make alternate versions of itself...just bigger and more worrying like the superb He-kome sculpt that suddenly appeared last year....and not sure if possible but made from the same plastic as TOS - no more broken parts ! Yay !

My $0.002 just expired

• Agree 1
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

21 hours ago, Burnin' Coal said:

I think having new alternate sculpts is an excellent way of accommodating varying tastes ,keeps modellers happy and tables varied....but regardless of faction in future releases I would like ALL of them to be DARKER ....goofy or wacky are excellent for Nightmare editions.... keep it DARK  ......and somewhere on the edge of creepy....and if at all possible right at the very edge of "is this PC ?" because IMHO children should be playing Hungry Hippo not Malifaux... 

....it would be beyond fantastic if human sculpts could start returning to proper proportions like the Beckoners or any of McCabe's box or Mounted Guards (all superb figures in every way) and NOT cartoon characters like the "should I be auditioning for Monsters Inc ?" Cyclops or the recently previewed M3E Captain Vanilla Dashael ....

All of this! Although I do like the Cyclops. Painting Burning Man brought back the aesthetics that got me into Malifaux in the first place. More of that!

• Like 1

Copycat Killer.  Both sculpts are just weird.  Chilling in a hat or balancing on scissors with some multi-hat thing?  Both just meh.  

The Alt Huggy wasn't really what I thought it would be, but better than the original.

I'd love a plastic re-release of the original Nekima.  Not holding my breath considering we just got an alt.

Any model that uses another model as part of it, like Bandersnatch or Wendigo.

• Agree 2

Greetings, All!

I have a list of things that could be improved, in my opinion.

Genre & Aesthetics

However, the thing which got me into Malifaux was the breadth of genres. The characters were delightful amalgams, or twisted variations of figures historical or fictional. Seamus, an amalgam of the Mad Hatter and Jack the Ripper. McCabe, a twisted Indiana Jones. There were, and are, homages to imagery in our history and popular culture, but twisted. That's what I'd like to see. Twisted.

Not too silly, unless silly is the theme (90% of Bayou, and not much else). Dark is ok, but I prefer to avoid the desolation and hopelessness of some games. You know the ones I mean. I even think Nightmare editions shouldn't go too dark. I think Nightmare Editions should be genre-variants (Steampunk McCabe) or at-the-threshold-of-weird (Dark Carnival) or thematic homages (both).

I love the aesthetics of early M2E. I love the little nods to our culture, contorted in a funhouse mirror. 

Models that need a resculpt.

• Hungering Darkness (both the Manic Tadpole and the Hippo Squid - awful)
  • Copycat Killer (why the multiple hats?)
  • Nino Ortega (a gatling sniper?)
  • Metal Gamin (no cohesion, bad sculpts)
  • Scion of Black Blood (so adynamic)
  • Tara (why the arm? Why the idiotic sword?)
  • Abominations (they look like they were scratchbuilt, but not in a good way)
  • Nekima (that sword looks like a 12 year old designed it)

However...

I'm ok with slightly disturbing. I'm ok with respectful cultural stereotypes (Sidir, Kudra, Jake). I'm ok with revealing outfits (but I think Emeline is Wyrd's prettiest miniature in ages). I'm ok with a little silly (Bob Ross Gremlin).

Don't get too silly, too correct, or too dark. I think early M2E sculpts, in general, were just right. Except their scale. Those were nothing remotely like they should have been. 

My 2 cents.

Caedrus.

• Like 3

The Malifaux models are lovely....once you've got them together but even myself who's been putting miniatures together for over fifteen years found some of the miniatures to be poor from a modelling perspective. The contact points between parts can be extremely small and many of the miniatures just seem to require a level of care several notches higher than miniatures produced by other companies. 

But I won't be replacing my existing models because I just don't think aesthetically there will be a big enough leap with the new kits. It's like comparing the old metals to the existing plastics where in most cases you can see a clear visual enhancement, I can't see that happening here. Take the new Dreamer crew as an example I actually prefer the old kit. 

I think for me the main issues with M2E was a convoluted ruleset, some of the components needed addressing, the cards for example I do think needed a visual facelift - I do like the new design from what I've seen . The two player set was quite weak and it didn't really sell the game to new players. 

One of my best friends summed up M2E quite perfectly, he had about five crews and every time I asked him if he wanted a game he'd say no. He loved the models but he absolutely hated having to digest so much information before he knew not only how to use his own models but how his opponents models were going to function during a game. In the end he sold majority of Malifaux stuff off. 

So yes whilst I quite enjoy a game with a ruleset that has incredible depth and intricacy I would gladly sacrifice some of that to actually get more people to the table 😊

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 12:49 PM, Caedrus said:

Greetings, All!

I have a list of things that could be improved, in my opinion.

Genre & Aesthetics

However, the thing which got me into Malifaux was the breadth of genres. The characters were delightful amalgams, or twisted variations of figures historical or fictional. Seamus, an amalgam of the Mad Hatter and Jack the Ripper. McCabe, a twisted Indiana Jones. There were, and are, homages to imagery in our history and popular culture, but twisted. That's what I'd like to see. Twisted.

Not too silly, unless silly is the theme (90% of Bayou, and not much else). Dark is ok, but I prefer to avoid the desolation and hopelessness of some games. You know the ones I mean. I even think Nightmare editions shouldn't go too dark. I think Nightmare Editions should be genre-variants (Steampunk McCabe) or at-the-threshold-of-weird (Dark Carnival) or thematic homages (both).

I love the aesthetics of early M2E. I love the little nods to our culture, contorted in a funhouse mirror. 

Models that need a resculpt.

• Hungering Darkness (both the Manic Tadpole and the Hippo Squid - awful)
  • Copycat Killer (why the multiple hats?)
  • Nino Ortega (a gatling sniper?)
  • Metal Gamin (no cohesion, bad sculpts)
  • Scion of Black Blood (so adynamic)
  • Tara (why the arm? Why the idiotic sword?)
  • Abominations (they look like they were scratchbuilt, but not in a good way)
  • Nekima (that sword looks like a 12 year old designed it)

However...

I'm ok with slightly disturbing. I'm ok with respectful cultural stereotypes (Sidir, Kudra, Jake). I'm ok with revealing outfits (but I think Emeline is Wyrd's prettiest miniature in ages). I'm ok with a little silly (Bob Ross Gremlin).

Don't get too silly, too correct, or too dark. I think early M2E sculpts, in general, were just right. Except their scale. Those were nothing remotely like they should have been. 

My 2 cents.

Caedrus.

Largely agree, but have some comments:

"Hungering Darkness (both the Manic Tadpole and the Hippo Squid - awful)"

Definitely. The alt is an improvement, but not a practical gaming figure, so still waiting for a sensible not-ridiculous alternative.

"Copycat Killer (why the multiple hats?)"

Hardly my favourite sculpt, but the hats make sense as it's a throw-back to Seamus' hat which can be dropped and picket up. Not necessarily aesthetically pleasing though...

"Nino Ortega (a gatling sniper?)"

Should be a no brainer. Was the same in M1e, for some absurd reason it carried over to plastic. Still makes no sense.

"Metal Gamin (no cohesion, bad sculpts)"

I kinda like them, but still a valid point.

"Scion of Black Blood (so adynamic)"

Yes, this one is probably the single worst pose Wyrd ever did"

"Tara (why the arm? Why the idiotic sword?)"

Because her arm is a soulstone put there by Obliteration, and ditto her sword. Doesn't look particularly good, but the why is easily answered in the stories.

"Abominations (they look like they were scratchbuilt, but not in a good way)"

Again, I kinda like them. My wife hates them. What bothers me is that four piles of flesh and machine parts can combine into the organis, smooth muscled beast that is the Desolation Engine. So, the small ones are a patchwork of bits, but if you stitch four of them together they suddenly become organic? This might be what bothers med the most in all of Malifaux...

"Nekima (that sword looks like a 12 year old designed it)"

This, so much this!! The Nekima Alt is great, but the sword is an absolute travesty. I agree with the earlier post about getting a remake of the metal Nekima done in plastic. Nekima is a bit sad in that all three sculpts have great promise, but are horribly flawed. The metal one is a bit too large, much too heavy, and when done in metal the ancle is too thin/soft. The regular plastic one is pretty nice, underwear notwithstanding, but too smal for "the largest Nephilim ever". The alt is great, but with one of the worst swords ever designed...

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not a resculpt, but I have been thinking that it would be cool to get an alt ascended Yan Lo. Obviously that's low on the priority list, especially since he's one of the first to get new art, but at some point it would be a cool alternative to the old man version of his model.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jude said:

Not a resculpt, but I have been thinking that it would be cool to get an alt ascended Yan Lo. Obviously that's low on the priority list, especially since he's one of the first to get new art, but at some point it would be a cool alternative to the old man version of his model.

And if we're really lucky, the beard won't be as much of an issue either!

Watcher. It's sculpted in perspective, it boggles the mind how this got accepted.

Blessed of December. The body structure and pose looks really silly IMO.

Johan. Extreme caricature (each foot is about twice the size of his head), which would have been acceptable if every human was sculpted to that aesthetic (while it wouldn't have been a game I would have gotten into, I could have appreciated the effort).

Hannah. The retail model is just plain ugly, and doesn't look nearly as functional as the original. The fact that the original limited model is quite nice also rubs it in our faces.

Steam Arachnid. When someone laid out the sprue for these, one of the legs was copy pasted twice and another was left out. So not really a re-sculpt so much as a re-cut, but I'm guessing one wont happen without the other.

• Like 1