Waldo's Weekly - Rapid Eye Movement

Kyle

13 minutes ago, Saduhem said:

Were we in the same Beta group? Consesnsus in the blue one was that Collodi was in a terrible shape by the end, especially after the changes to Vasilisa and the wicked dolls. I've seen it referred as the "Collodi Catastrophe". Before that, he was mostly alright I think, the "Acts" really added to the puppetteering theme!

I was in green. Really? I didn't think that at all although I only used a wicked doll once and it got killed pretty early on. Was the consensus that he was to powerful or underpowered?

And yes, I agree the act upgrades are awesome. I really enjoyed having all 4 marionettes on the table sticking close to Collodi as well

3 minutes ago, SoylentRobot said:

It's been four pages and nobody made the "Lord Chunky Bits" joke so I'm taking it.

Look, it's Lord Chunky Bits

I did beat you to it unfortunately :P

On 1/9/2019 at 1:18 PM, cbtb11235813 said:

I mean its not really an alt (it is but it isn't). Unless you consider the 2e model an alt for his 1e model. 

I propose Teenage Dream(er) and Lord Chunky Bits

Not a fan of the new chompy but at least it gives an alternative for those who want more of a spooky/digusting look rather than leashed menace of the previous ones.

Alps are definitely the standout model, even if they're more generic demon types now.

Don't particularly like new Coppelius, although again he's not actually a bad model. Similar to chompy he's much more static than the previous versions. Looks more like he's standing on the sidelines munching eyes from his bucket than sprinting about, tearing them out of people.

New dreamer seems to fit his new theme, although I do prefer the old one. What's the deal with the cricket bat though? The edges look bizarrely thick and it's wrapped in bandages or something?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Athiko said:

I was in green. Really? I didn't think that at all although I only used a wicked doll once and it got killed pretty early on. Was the consensus that he was to powerful or underpowered?

And yes, I agree the act upgrades are awesome. I really enjoyed having all 4 marionettes on the table sticking close to Collodi as well

Lord Chunky Bits is just too good of a name now :}

Anyway yes, having the marionettes spawn around him makes them feel feels useful and part of the master more than it ever felt in M2e. New Collodi has flavor dripping everywhere!

Consensus was that he was alright or very good before the last 2 or 3 weeks. Then a lot of changes hit him all at once. Summoning marionettes 2 at a time instead of 4, Vasilisa getting her best feature replaced by a really clunky mechanic based on wicked dolls and her big reduction in summoning pool, all just contributed to getting in the way of what Collodi likes to do. He got a really cool "Puppetteering" action though!

But I am VERY, VERY optimistic about the open beta solving the clunkiness that's in a few crews, Puppets included!

Once again, I'd love for DMH to be tournament approved and given the same attention during playtesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lusciousmccabe said:

New dreamer seems to fit his new theme, although I do prefer the old one. What's the deal with the cricket bat though? The edges look bizarrely thick and it's wrapped in bandages or something?

FF7 buster blade (or Kingdom Hearts). 

Like you, I prefer the old child dreaming theme, but I can't say the new isn't great. They both are, and dreamer was going to grow up eventually, it makes sense that he's angry and scarred.

I just kinda like the creepy/cute childish thing a lot :}

48 minutes ago, Saduhem said:

Were we in the same Beta group? Consesnsus in the blue one was that Collodi was in a terrible shape by the end, especially after the changes to Vasilisa and the wicked dolls. I've seen it referred as the "Collodi Catastrophe". Before that, he was mostly alright I think, the "Acts" really added to the puppetteering theme!

Collodi was a lot better before the last one or two updates.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Neverbear said:

Collodi was a lot better before the last one or two updates.

Yup, Yup.
But I also have a feeling that the reason for which the Open Beta in not starting till next Wednesday is because @matt and @Kyle are aware of some of these things and are working on something.
Perhaps the files are going to be a wee bit different than what the Beta ended on...

Anyway, the thread keeps going from "Ooh, shiny new Dreamer!" to "Theme is changing a lot, DMH is weird".  I'm going to stop fueling the latter part :}

And yes, as much as creepy cute sleeping child is what I miss, war-scarred, grieving, angry Dreamer is probably the natural progression of the character and it fits. 
Did I say new alps? New, heavy metal-gibbering Alps! 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2019 at 10:06 AM, Barbagianni said:

Collodi's creator is of course a nice old man named Pinocchio.☺️

On 1/10/2019 at 12:13 PM, TeddyBear said:

Or maybe could be Geppetto the creator of Collodi..as a second evil son.. 🤨?!!

The Lore to Pinocchio's Data? (a la ST:TNG)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2019 at 8:12 AM, yool1981 said:

It has been a while since I read my fluff but I remember a few things.

In the Book 4 vignettes, it is written that Collodi leaves Malifaux city to search for his maker if I remember correctly.

If the inventor is ancient, given that most of the Fae died a long time ago, his maker would be either a powerful immortal or even a Tyrant.

I wonder if they will relate this search for an inventor with the symbol that Ramos uses on his own creations and that (again if I remember correctly) comes from ancient Malifaux books.

Or they could relate the maker to an old novel  (M1E book so my memory may not be good) where the name Collodi is used for a somewhat different creature (still a doll maker though) that attacks a village, killing people in their sleep with his dolls to recharge soulstones. But I wonder if they have not just dropped this storyline altogether.

Collodi was made by humans during the time of the first breach.

• 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, Ultravanillasmurf said:

Late to the party (maybe I overslept, I have been having these terrible dreams...).

What is the Dreamer carrying over his shoulder?

Is it supposed to be a sword in a ribbon wrapped box?

The rest look suitably nightmareish.

It's a cricket bat, he got one as an upgrade in the last 2nd ed book. of all the dog awful games he got himself into liking.....

4 minutes ago, StefMcGlen said:

It's a cricket bat, he got one as an upgrade in the last 2nd ed book. of all the dog awful games he got himself into liking.....

In the same way a rounders bat is a length of wood of three inch by three inch section ^___^.

Cricket is a test of endurance, five possibly more days.... Tests the players (and the spectators). You may break for a word from your sponsors, we break for lunch and tea!

Plus it promotes snoozing, maybe that is why.

2 minutes ago, Ultravanillasmurf said:

In the same way a rounders bat is a length of wood of three inch by three inch section ^___^.

Cricket is a test of endurance, five possibly more days.... Tests the players (and the spectators). You may break for a word from your sponsors, we break for lunch and tea!

Plus it promotes snoozing, maybe that is why.

Could just be me but I see dreamer as a rather impulsive, spontaneous child with very little attention span or patience, test cricket is like the extreme opposite to him, I'd go as far as to say, it would be his worse nightmare, maybe that is why he is lashing out.

10 minutes ago, StefMcGlen said:

Could just be me but I see dreamer as a rather impulsive, spontaneous child with very little attention span or patience, test cricket is like the extreme opposite to him, I'd go as far as to say, it would be his worse nightmare, maybe that is why he is lashing out.

I am trapped in a timeloop, every time I start to reply, I go to look something up and have to start again.

I agree about the character, but the supposed cricket bat is rubbish. It is like making a rounders bat a length of square section wood.

However, do remember

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Places_in_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy#Krikkit