Waldo's Weekly - Rapid Eye Movement

Kyle

Just want to give some positive comments here. Some people have been complaining in the past months about the new comic style art of Malifaux. I'd like to say that I like both the art and the renders of the new Dreamer. I liked a lot the previous version of the dreamer and the idea of a boy making his nightmares reality, but, given that the boy has to grow up, I am very satisfied with this style. This is a box I'd like to buy.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, cbtb11235813 said:

I mean its not really an alt (it is but it isn't). Unless you consider the 2e model an alt for his 1e model. 

I propose Teenage Dream(er) and Lord Chunky Bits

Oh yeah, nicknames for days! But if many crew boxes are getting new sculpts then standardized terms will have to happen eventually.

1 hour ago, nomadicXnightmare said:

You noticed that too huh? Dunno if it was intentional (betting it was - Wyrd is cheeky like that), but it fits with the new Dreamer 'tude. 😉

Made me laugh a little when I saw it. Of course I am waiting for some one to be offended by it since we live in an ultra-pc world now. Takes me back to the kerfuffle over M2E Viks when Blood wasn't wearing a shirt but just had two belts across her chest. Luckily the White Knights came to her "rescue" getting her that vest that she ended up with. 👍

• Haha 3
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

I hope those are alps, and I want them yesterday!

I can totally see a troubled growing dreamer going full anarchist!

I am concerned about overall theme in Neverborn though.

Twisted innocence? Gone. Dreamer has grown up and left teddies and cuteness behind.
Puppet Master and Creepy dolls? No longer Neverborn and, as far as we've seen in the Beta, part of a pseudo-faction with wonky hiring pools, no upgrades, and only conditionally allowed in tournaments. Hoping to see the guy in The Other Side or Book 2 is the best we can hope for. 
Fairy court? Gone too. There is only 1 knight now and the crew doesn't have any Fae Court theme left. There's only one attack action that refers to it in name, but it's a terrain marker push. 

Maybe we're just going towards a more Heavy Metal looking faction looking at Euripides and some of the Dreamer art (No complaints there, the last concert I went to was Black Sabbath's), or we're just targeting a different demographic, but Neverborn feels very different now. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, Saduhem said:

Fairy court? Gone too. There is only 1 knight now and the crew doesn't have any Fae Court theme left. There's only one attack action that refers to it in name, but it's a terrain marker push. 

There is 1 knight profile but you can still field 3 knights.

1 minute ago, trikk said:

There is 1 knight profile but you can still field 3 knights.

Sure, I didn't think I implied anything different. They're the same model now. No season-related name and attacks/abilities. Nothing on the card that makes them Fae or Courtly.  I'm trying to not put too much balance-related talk in here just yet, but you're really never going to want more than one of those guys especially considering their price and that the timing on their trigger only happens if you fail to hit a def 4 model against a ram.

Just now, Saduhem said:

Sure, I didn't think I implied anything different. They're the same model now. No season-related name and attacks/abilities. Nothing on the card that makes them Fae or Courtly.  I'm trying to not put too much balance-related talk in here just yet, but you're really never going to want more than one of those guys especially considering their price and that the timing on their trigger only happens if you fail to hit a def 4 model against a ram.

Oh, ok. I just wanted to say that the fact you had 3 similar-but-different models was cool thematically but was a real PITA for me as an opponent. I never knew exactly which one did what...

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, trikk said:

Oh, ok. I just wanted to say that the fact you had 3 similar-but-different models was cool thematically but was a real PITA for me as an opponent. I never knew exactly which one did what...

I can see that. I had some people scratch their head when playing transmortis!

10 minutes ago, Saduhem said:

Twisted innocence? Gone. Dreamer has grown up and left teddies and cuteness behind.
Puppet Master and Creepy dolls? No longer Neverborn and, as far as we've seen in the Beta, part of a pseudo-faction with wonky hiring pools, no upgrades, and only conditionally allowed in tournaments. Hoping to see the guy in The Other Side or Book 2 is the best we can hope for. 

Teddies still have the Nightmare keyword, so they haven't been left behind at all. Cuteness is debatable.

While Collodi and his marionettes have moved to DMH, everything else is still there (most being versatile models to boot). Further, with the push for Henchmen led crews being a thing, both Widow Weaver and Hamamatsu can fill the "puppet master" role if you prefer that theme. At least till Collodi comes back to Neverborn proper in some future release (fingers crossed).

The Fairy Court theme isn't "gone", it's just not reflected in individual abilities/action names as much and, as you pointed out, three individual models got consolidated into a single unit type. Simplification is part of the goal of ME3 and, although admittedly some flavor is lost on individual cards as a result, the models themselves and the fluff I'm sure will reflect that the Fairy Court theme is alive and well.

I'm a big fan of Dreamer's old theme and it's partially what got me into Malifaux in the first place. But lets wait and see how the rest of the crew aesthetics play out before we get too concerned over Neverborn's "overall theme". 😉