Waldo's Weekly - Rapid Eye Movement

Kyle

I can see a clear resemblance to the characters of It's always sunny in Philadelphia with these sculpts

The skinny hunched over Alp is Dee

The flexing one is Dennis

The fat one with cultivated mass is Mac

Charlie is the Dreamer (with a rat as the rat king)

And Lord Chompy bits is Frank

I love them all

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tors said:

Could someone explain to me, what are the correct propotions of a dream and shape shifting demonlike tyrant? There seems to be some norm i am not familiar with. 

That's exactly what I thought. Chompy's new cast is brilliant precisely because it's so... off. Tastes may vary, but that's my impression.

If I were a shapeshifting almost-god of terror and nightmares, Plan A would be to not fit with the cattle's expectations. That's just common sense. If that means skipping leg day and carb loading like a mofo... well, Tyranting ain't easy.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My only complaint is that if every grown up model is now Ht 2 compared to the previous Ht 1 the old ones won’t be good “proxy” models for the new edition Dreamer crew.

My friend and I just started Malifaux and, while I’m waiting for M3E with my Somer and Ophelia crews with optimism, he is quite pissed about his Neverborn consisting in Lilith (gone), Collodi (gone), Dreamer (grown) and Pandora (not dead!).

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, nomadicXnightmare said:

I'm a big fan of Dreamer's old theme and it's partially what got me into Malifaux in the first place. But lets wait and see how the rest of the crew aesthetics play out before we get too concerned over Neverborn's "overall theme"😉

I can see the worry.

Euripides is a vanilla savage frost giant.

Nekima is far less interesting and more gory than Lilith.

Titinia is an adult version of the faery queen and she does not have much childish or mischievous flavour associated with evil faeries.

We lost Collodi.

Marcus is not very neverborny.

Zoraida and Lucius still do the job.

I will wait until I see Pandora and her crew but there is definitely a swing in faction identity and theme.

Neverborn was at the origin about the childhood terrors haunting humanity.

Now they are just becoming the monster faction.

• Agree 3

29 minutes ago, yool1981 said:

Nekima is far less interesting and more gory than Lilith.

29 minutes ago, yool1981 said:

Neverborn was at the origin about the childhood terrors haunting humanity.

Hey man, I think a majority of high school boys have had this haunting childhood dream. 
Even then, hey man, Nekima's trying her best out here. Don't go saying things that might get her ousted Nicodem style. I've already lost one master, and I've been rooting for Nekima since I started playing this game.

• Haha 1

Although I don't play Dreamer and am unlikely to get this, I love the art!  This Dreamer looks so much better than the Dreamer in book 5 (IMO).

As others have said, the Alps & Coppelius also looks great.

Jury's still out about Chompy... He's kind of disturbing which I think is amazing and hard to achieve... but it's also why I don't like it! It's too disturbing!

Overall the art direction is a big improvement from book 5 IMO.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LordZombie said:

Everyone else looks evil and edgy but chompy is all soft and goofy

Yup ! exactly

But I don't know if it's intentional, if it is  fair enough... lore might explain it or who knows once i see it painted by Angel Giraldez the scuplt might start to grow on me lol

Having said that i think it is just a bad job on the render, because he doesn't look that goofy in the art. Always been amazed at how close Wyrd makes their actual minis look like their concept art. So i guess just one small mistake becomes so evident ^^

No a big deal though, people can still use their old LCB if they already have one and the rest of the new scuplts seems really top notch! i like them

2 hours ago, nomadicXnightmare said:

Teddies still have the Nightmare keyword, so they haven't been left behind at all. Cuteness is debatable.

While Collodi and his marionettes have moved to DMH, everything else is still there (most being versatile models to boot). Further, with the push for Henchmen led crews being a thing, both Widow Weaver and Hamamatsu can fill the "puppet master" role if you prefer that theme. At least till Collodi comes back to Neverborn proper in some future release (fingers crossed).

The Fairy Court theme isn't "gone", it's just not reflected in individual abilities/action names as much and, as you pointed out, three individual models got consolidated into a single unit type. Simplification is part of the goal of ME3 and, although admittedly some flavor is lost on individual cards as a result, the models themselves and the fluff I'm sure will reflect that the Fairy Court theme is alive and well.

I'm a big fan of Dreamer's old theme and it's partially what got me into Malifaux in the first place. But lets wait and see how the rest of the crew aesthetics play out before we get too concerned over Neverborn's "overall theme". 😉

Never meant he can't play Teddy, I can ne really bad at choosing words. It was more of a theme statement. Something like "The young child playing with teddy bears isn't a thing".

I don't agree on the fairy court too much. Outside of Titania having Queen's command, I just don't see any of the fairy court theme left at all. Maybe I've been missing something througout the Beta?

I also don't agree on Hinamatsu or widow weaver being a puppet Master. The former has nothing but the puppet keyword, the latter can use scrap to make puppet minions if you're willing to put in the stones. 

In the end these changes mean that Neverborn's theme changed a lot. Not good or bad, different. 

You don't think so? Well that's just alright! The point of the Beta is to share opinions after all! 

3 hours ago, nomadicXnightmare said:

Teddies still have the Nightmare keyword, so they haven't been left behind at all. Cuteness is debatable.

While Collodi and his marionettes have moved to DMH, everything else is still there (most being versatile models to boot). Further, with the push for Henchmen led crews being a thing, both Widow Weaver and Hamamatsu can fill the "puppet master" role if you prefer that theme. At least till Collodi comes back to Neverborn proper in some future release (fingers crossed).

The Fairy Court theme isn't "gone", it's just not reflected in individual abilities/action names as much and, as you pointed out, three individual models got consolidated into a single unit type. Simplification is part of the goal of ME3 and, although admittedly some flavor is lost on individual cards as a result, the models themselves and the fluff I'm sure will reflect that the Fairy Court theme is alive and well.

I'm a big fan of Dreamer's old theme and it's partially what got me into Malifaux in the first place. But lets wait and see how the rest of the crew aesthetics play out before we get too concerned over Neverborn's "overall theme". 😉

If the Fae Court is still there I also missed it for 4 months of playing. Titania is a replacement for Lilith in Neverborn and uses terrain. The three knights are only 1 knight, the autumn knight, and the only thing he does for Titania is bring terrain. The crew does not look like a court. You will probably have Killjoy, yes he's a fairy, a Rogarou and a Bultungin in most of your games.  A big dead monster, a dead wolf, a werehyena, and a giant snake. The crew does not play like a court. The knight, the only one, and Aeslin do not interact with the Queen, and the Queen doesn't care about the only two other people in the "court" (Maybe that's why TOS has the court of two. Can't have more than 2 different models in a court). The Queen can no longer ask for an audience because she is too busy talking to underbrush markers.
Does the crew have theme? Yes, underbrush markers. Is it a court? No. Just no.

If you want to play widow weaver as your leader and puppets you can have fun with friends but you will be at a disadvantage against a Master, especially in tournaments. It's something you do for fun but then you can have Aeslin be and Undead Master by the same logic just because of the keyword even if she does nothing for undead. And Widow Weaver has nothing to make her feel like a person using strings to move puppets. No. Using Henchmen does not let us have a Puppet Master back in the faction.
Maybe you like these things and maybe you do not. That is going to be different for every person that plays. But yes, the theme is changed a lot, Neverborn more than anything.

I started playing because I liked creepy dolls, childish nightmares, and fairies. No, I cannot play those themes anymore in Neverborn, but dreamer still has some of that.
Of the three things you mentioned Dreamer is the one that still keeps most of his theme when you play his crew. 

• Agree 3
  • Respectfully Disagree 2

1 hour ago, ashtroboy said:

My only concern is can I still use 2e Dreamer or not

The list of abnormally tall or short models for their Ht attribute would derail the discussion.  But that's all a 1st or 2nd edition Dreamer model would be at worst--an abnormally short H2 model.

32 minutes ago, Neverbear said:

If you want to play widow weaver as your leader and puppets you can have fun with friends but you will be at a disadvantage against a Master, especially in tournaments. It's something you do for fun but then you can have Aeslin be and Undead Master by the same logic just because of the keyword even if she does nothing for undead. And Widow Weaver has nothing to make her feel like a person using strings to move puppets. No. Using Henchmen does not let us have a Puppet Master back in the faction.
Maybe you like these things and maybe you do not. That is going to be different for every person that plays. But yes, the theme is changed a lot, Neverborn more than anything.

Please conduct the following brief experiment if Dead Man's Hand Collodi has the rules that would feel like a "person using strings to move puppets".

Version 1.  Look at the DMH version of Collodi, put the Neverborn faction logo back onto the card, and ask if M3E Neverborn Collodi is what you wanted.

Version 2.  Then go back to DHM Collodi, where it can only hire puppets and versatile Neverborn models.  

Compare between Version 1 and Version 2 whether you can make the crews that you want to make.  

It seems to me that the conclusion has to be that a dedicated Collodi player is losing access to are the non-generic Neverborn things.  And it seems to me that since Dead Man's Hand isn't a faction, you're not violating your pledge of allegiance to the Neverborn faction to play a Dead Man's Hand master.

• Agree 1

The crew overall looks pretty good, will use it interchangeably with the boy crew from 2e.

LCB though... The art is actually cool, a Malifaux non-tech version of the Mancubus from Doom. But the 3d model is, honestly, abysmal. It is hard to believe this model was made by the same person as the rest of the crew (maybe it was not). Everything that makes the art disgusting (in a good Malifaux way) is lost in translation. Like, overweight yet muscular body and weird positioning of the top pair of hands both just feel off. The spikes on the model could have been tacked on by my three-year old. I hope there is still time to fix the model, or else it's either the attic or lots of green stuff modeling for me.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, solkan said:

The list of abnormally tall or short models for their Ht attribute would derail the discussion.  But that's all a 1st or 2nd edition Dreamer model would be at worst--an abnormally short H2 model.

Please conduct the following brief experiment if Dead Man's Hand Collodi has the rules that would feel like a "person using strings to move puppets".

Version 1.  Look at the DMH version of Collodi, put the Neverborn faction logo back onto the card, and ask if M3E Neverborn Collodi is what you wanted.

Version 2.  Then go back to DHM Collodi, where it can only hire puppets and versatile Neverborn models.  

Compare between Version 1 and Version 2 whether you can make the crews that you want to make.  

It seems to me that the conclusion has to be that a dedicated Collodi player is losing access to are the non-generic Neverborn things.  And it seems to me that since Dead Man's Hand isn't a faction, you're not violating your pledge of allegiance to the Neverborn faction to play a Dead Man's Hand master.

Did I deserve the sarcasm? Ok. Then:

Do this experiment: Put an upgrade on anything in Collodi crew. 

Do this experiment: Stick your sarcastic logo on Collodi at a tournament where DMH is not allowed and claim it is ok because it is neverborn.

I said the Puppet Master is no longer part of the neverborn theme. Your sarcastic "Experiments" are not just rude, but they have nothing to do with that. The discussion was about the faction losing its own themes.

Put a bayou logo on Ramos if you like, but don't start demeaning the frustration of a player.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Respectfully Disagree 5

Alright guys, once the files are out, there are going to be a lot of Neverborn hearts crushed to pieces. They lost 2 masters. Some will be panicked knee jerk reactions, some will be excited praises, and some will be part of a legitimate feeling of having lost something we really loved.

Let's please understand that everyone put time, money, and emotional investment in these models. People are going to be hurt or excited in different ways, let's stay away from patronizing statements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 7

3 hours ago, Saduhem said:

Alright guys, once the files are out, there are going to be a lot of Neverborn hearts crushed to pieces. They lost 2 masters. Some will be panicked knee jerk reactions, some will be excited praises, and some will be part of a legitimate feeling of having lost something we really loved

Well, 3 if you count Lynch. But apart from Lilith, which was removed due to fluff reasons, both Lynch and Collodi didn't really fit in neverborn. Collodi is a nice concept but fluffwise he's non-existant because he has 0 interactions with others because... why would he?

• Agree 1

Hey people, just remember somebody worked hard on these sculpts. I think it's OK if you say you don't like them, I'm pretty sure Wyrd will appreciate your feedback, but just don't go to insult the models because such negative comments just hurt unnecessarily.

Also, remember those are renders. When they send the minis to Angel Giraldez and you see the actual miniatures painted... We all will drool, heheh.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, t4zz said:

Hey people, just remember somebody worked hard on these sculpts. I think it's OK if you say you don't like them, I'm pretty sure Wyrd will appreciate your feedback, but just don't go to insult the models because such negative comments just hurt unnecessarily.

Also, remember those are renders. When they send the minis to Angel Giraldez and you see the actual miniatures painted... We all will drool, heheh.

Well, if you send a pile of poop to Angel Giraldez, after he's done you`ll want it in your display cabinet, so thats hardly an argument 😜 

• Haha 7