Waldo's Weekly - Rapid Eye Movement

Kyle

I'm not a fan of grown up Dreamer. Although I never ended up getting him, it was The Dreamer that brought piqued my interest in Malifaux. The idea of a small boy and his imaginary friends unknowingly wreaking havoc on a world that he just thinks is in his dreams was fantastic and original that made Malifaux seem different than other games.  The eerie cuteness of The Dreamer and his imaginary friends is lost in this new version which is a real shame. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 10
  • Respectfully Disagree 1

I am very excited for this. Excellent. 

I, for one, really appreciate the creativity behind the look of Chompy. He's been practically the same the past 3 sculpts and I dig the bigger look and gaping maw. 

Fantastic work, I cant wait to see more crews and renderings. 

• Like 2

Wow! Regardless of my personal opinions on specific models, the new art is absolutely incredible! Well done!

the Good: The Dreamer himself looks perfect and is nearly exactly how I envisioned him to look as an angry teenager. Very A Clockwork Orange meets Charles Dickens. Curious what the bugger at his heels is supposed to represent... a new Daydream? Or maybe a "diminutive" Chompy/generic nightmare kinda like we had for the ME2 sculpt? Coppelius is solid (no pun intended) and I dig his eyeball-filled man-purse. However, the Alps are the all-stars here and I hope they will be available to purchase as a 3-pack separately, 'cause I wantz them!

the Bad: Chompy himself is very 'meh' to me. The art/render is impressive from a design/model perspective, but I don't much care for it myself. Apart from making continuous jokes about his "wider proportions", the lack of a lower jaw/fully defined head is... distracting to me. Dunno how else to describe it - it's just off. Also the general look/vibe of the crew, though impressive, is again just kinda 'meh' in my opinion when compared to the old aesthetic. There was a creepy innocence and unique, cohesive feel to the old crew that actually drew me to it (and Malifaux as a whole), which is obviously missing from this new incarnation. Dreamer's ME3 look feels like he has put down his old childhood toys and is now obsessed with superheroes, heavy metal and edginess lol

Overall, I love the art and the dramatic shift in Dreamer's crew, even if it takes a little time to grow on me. This is certainly not your 'business as usual' Malifaux!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I'm glad i'm not the only one thinking that : the Render of Chompy looks really really off ...

In the art they all look cool and menacing and the minis are gonna be great,i really like the 3 alps and coppelius !! but that Chompy lost all his flavor during the 3D render, i couldn't explain why, maybe proportions, maybe his "cute" eyes that make him look like a sad puppy or maybe because the current scuplt was so amazing that it is too hard to top ^^

So all in all, really great job but don't be mad at me neverborn players if i laugh at your new Chompy 🤣

• Agree 2