Eels and Whelks - how do we get them out of London?

Tris

So yeah, basically what the title says - what`s the best way to deal with these two units, especially in combination?

Eels are already super annyoing to kill but that`s nothing compared to them standing around an Armoured Whelk making them completely immune to pinned, thus ensuring that their Regenration through Reinforcement tokens goes a really long way.

Whelks need High strength weapons to be dealt with, but how much is too much fire put into one of them?

So, what did you find works best against them?

Looking forward to hear about your experiences :)

• 2 weeks later...

As a gibbering hordes player I would like to address this.

First I recommend inviting the eels and whelks over for root beer and Oreos. 

Make no threatening moves, even if they eat your friends, that's just a common greeting among the hordes, it means they like you!

Eels are noted huggers, so don't be put off if they get into your personal space.

Whelks are known for their independence and intellect. Try offering a game of Parcheesi to pique their interest.

I hope you find this helpful and see you on the battlefield...I mean public hugging grounds.

• Haha 4
  • Agree 2

For actual tactics, anyone who can strip tokens like Margaret with Rapier wit can be nasty to eels.

Whelks just need to be beat on hard. It takes a damage flip of 15 to kill two, which can be difficult, but far from impossible. I tend to use their independent rule to maximize how many of my horde get Pinned immunity, but that means only three whelks need to be killed to open up a flank. If you are going to go after them hit them with everything until they go down. No half measures or you're just wasting time.

On 1/21/2019 at 10:40 AM, Thisendup said:

First I recommend inviting the eels and whelks over for root beer and Oreos.

What if the Empire contracted some French chefs to whip up something with the eels? I'm sure that an island nation can quickly get to business on a boiled whelk feast, it would be far from their first experiment with shellfish!

Really though: King's Hand can do some serious damage, so keep on stomping, maybe use the big gun to punch holes in the whelks. Token control is a big deal, both yours and theirs.
If the Operation calls for it, I'd also seriously consider jamming the eels up with something like the Borderers so that your Motor Scouts can go run objectives.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 2:08 PM, Thisendup said:

For actual tactics, anyone who can strip tokens like Margaret with Rapier wit can be nasty to eels. 

Whelks just need to be beat on hard. It takes a damage flip of 15 to kill two, which can be difficult, but far from impossible. I tend to use their independent rule to maximize how many of my horde get Pinned immunity, but that means only three whelks need to be killed to open up a flank. If you are going to go after them hit them with everything until they go down. No half measures or you're just wasting time. 

i have no experience with eels so far, but stripping tokens can be nasty, and we do not need to use margaret for that - infiltrators can do "remove one token, add one token" action 3 times, and are also quite cheap while doing that.

With whelks, i did not find them troublesome in the games i had so far. they are tough, and they prevent me from giving pinned tokens to nearby units - which is troublesome, but i still can remove reinforced by other means. also, i can give pinned to whelks, which significantly reduces their speed. Whether they are left behind, or if they are slowing hordes advance, this gives me significant benefits without killing the unit.

as for killing whelks - they are dying just fine when targeted by grenadiers or kings hand. Piercing allows you to get this much desired 15 total, and area attacks (with cheating 10+card for penetration flip, or with increasing the range by kings hand asset trigger) are really nasty as hordes like to keep units close to each other.

• 7 months later...

I had a couple games lately against GH (1 and 2 commander). It looks like important part of games against GH is breaking their combo potential, which is mainly built around reinforcement tokens. This is difficult for me in 1 commander games due to low amount of tactic tokens i have available (i don't have Thrace). In 2 commander games using artillery strike can force hordes to move forward to prevent loses, which makes some of the glory building (e.g. create egg, eat an egg) much more difficult. Also, it is easier to get our units to glory if we have squishy units on opponent side. 

On eels - only reliable solution i see so after couple more games is kings hand, but due to their extra damage mechanics he needs some screening as it can be easily destroyed in melee. I tried to use infiltrators to remove reinforcement tokens and score objectives, but i was disappointed with the results (they are not reliable).