M3E OPEN BETA!

Kyle

5 minutes ago, ArcMaster said:

Out of curiosity do you think there are particular things that people in the current beta are saying are OP?  I'm just asking as someone who was unable to devote as much time as they would have liked on keeping track of those conversations.

Just like with any game there are some things that some folks don’t like, can’t seem wrap their head around, or that counters their favorite way to play that other players aren’t having a problem with. 

There’s probably a few things that might be OP if people were running fixed lists and had to pick their schemes before seeing the opponent’s crew. Fortunately, that’s not how Malifaux works.

There’s some stuff that’s a bit above the power curve, some that’s a bit below but it seems like most of “OMG, that broken/useless” stuff got addressed. 

I’m looking forward to see how a bunch of folks that weren’t privy to all of the iterations of rules and model stats react to the state of M3E.

• Like 1

@WWHSD: it wasn't worth the digital ink even to ask, after the openness was given, to ask for it to be taken away. It was immediately too late to ask.

Also, I'm going to let my hair down this non-testing week and play what I want instead of what needs work spend the evening teaching the core rules changes so people aren't blindsided, guilt-free, and dreaming about what it will be like when I play what I want instead of what needs work. :Spider:

• Agree 1

Open beta sounds exciting!  Kyle, does this NDA being loosened mean just in the soon-to-be Open M3e beta area or can I just start ranting about how [new favourite Master] is so wonderful to play that an angelic choir should start singing when they're taken? ;) 

Discussing things that you have tested secretly without breaking an NDA can become a real hassle, it is easy to slip up. I think lifting the NDA:s sounds like a good thing.

If people are going to come from the closed beta and rant about what is OP/UP I will prove that us open testers are just as good at it! Lucius is OP and Nekima is UP! And I say that without having seen their rules yet. ;)

Thanks for launching an open test Wyrd! Hopefully it will iron out the kinks. If nothing else us non-beta peasants will have temporary rules to use until launch.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gnomezilla said:

@WWHSD: it wasn't worth the digital ink even to ask, after the openness was given, to ask for it to be taken away. It was immediately too late to ask.

Also, I'm going to let my hair down this non-testing week and play what I want instead of what needs work spend the evening teaching the core rules changes so people aren't blindsided, guilt-free, and dreaming about what it will be like when I play what I want instead of what needs work. :Spider:

Asking folks from the closed beta to show some restraint in what they post isn’t the same as wanting Wyrd to not drop the NDA. I’m just saying that we need to not start treating the general forums and AWP like the closed beta forums just because Wyrd released us from the NDA. 

By all means teach new players the rules and answer people’s questions, just leave the long-ass posts of what needs to be changed in M3E sitting over on the closed beta forums for a couple of weeks before reposting it for a new audience. Waiting until the new folks are able to participate in the conversation instead of just consuming the opinions of others is what will actually lead to something useful. 

I’m really looking forward to see if the stuff that got toned down is going to seem over the top to people that weren’t exposed to the previous versions and if the models that started out crappy but got buffs are still going to seem like bad models.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Ludvig said:

If people are going to come from the closed beta and rant about what is OP/UP I will prove that us open testers are just as good at it! Lucius is OP and Nekima is UP! And I say that without having seen their rules yet. ;)

Lucius seems very good and Nekime seems pretty meh to me TBH ;)

• Haha 2

Hopefully this isn't too far off topic, but will the open beta include the same PDF format? A few people (myself included) mentioned it being slightly cumbersome to flip through during a match. It is a minor inconvenience, but it would help if you'd supplied the format in 4x per page (2x front and back) or just front and back?

• Agree 1

Good luck with the beta!

I am not certain I'll be able to play during the next few months due to personal life happening but I will read things carefully.

I think that it would be beneficial if people that have been in the closed beta could give contradictory insights about things that people will complain about based on theoryfaux (we know how it usually happens :D).

Playing stuff and reading stuff is very different, especially with a new corpus of rules.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, yool1981 said:

Good luck with the beta!

I am not certain I'll be able to play during the next few months due to personal life happening but I will read things carefully.

I think that it would be beneficial if people that have been in the closed beta could give contradictory insights about things that people will complain about based on theoryfaux (we know how it usually happens :D).

Playing stuff and reading stuff is very different, especially with a new corpus of rules.

yes. so what I can tell from participating in the beta very activly in the first two months: you have to Play it. Just theoryfauxing is not enough. The best Thing you can do if something Looks fishy on paper is playing the particular model as much as possible. Repetition is key to gather good data.

• Agree 3

Oh, NDAs are lifted? Horray!

Now we can finally start ressurrecting our 20-ish people Malifaux community, half of which was reluctant to play until 3rd Edition drops! ^_^

Oh the joy)

Wonder if I'd be helpful to the new players on forums as Von Shill/Jack Daw/Tara/Hoffman player :P

14 minutes ago, Razhem said:

Would like a confirmation for this as well.

I would assume not, unless Wyrd explicitly say otherwise. Typically playtesting materials remain property of Wyrd (and subject to standard copyright provisions, meaning you're not able to distribute them without the rights holder's permission). Lifting the NDA just means you can talk about it, not that you can distribute playtest material. Weds is only 36 hours away... there will be all new Beta files available then.

Note: this would also cover copying/pasting from the materials.

6 minutes ago, gribble said:

I would assume not, unless Wyrd explicitly say otherwise. Typically playtesting materials remain property of Wyrd (and subject to standard copyright provisions, meaning you're not able to distribute them without the rights holder's permission). Lifting the NDA just means you can talk about it, not that you can distribute playtest material. Weds is only 36 hours away... there will be all new Beta files available then.

the open beta starts next week ;) 
I would probably agree with you, but that's not ours to guess. I want to share the file if I can, so that I can have some people play this week end. That's why I just asked, by extend, if it could be shared publicly. I'll be waiting for an official answer anyway.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gribble said:

Ok, though the beta es wednesday 16 not tomorrow.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, santaclaws01 said:

No, all that's being asked is some discretion until people that weren't in the closed beta can at least look at it themselves.

^ This. It's a simple matter of consideration for the wider community. Closed beta testers have been grinding on this stuff for months. It's not new and shiny for us anymore, but it was once and we were all excited about delving into it. Remember how cool it was to see the new stuff? Now the forum community at large has the same opportunity. Would it have been as fun if alpha testers jumped in immediately, posting all of the things they liked/hated about alpha? Nope. If a few people (including me) keep their mouths shut for A FEW DAYS, many people have a more enjoyable experience. How is that even an issue that requires discussion? Show some empathy, for crying out loud.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, bedjy said:

the open beta starts next week ;) 
I would probably agree with you, but that's not ours to guess. I want to share the file if I can, so that I can have some people play this week end. That's why I just asked, by extend, if it could be shared publicly. I'll be waiting for an official answer anyway.

Ah... apparently I'm a week ahead of myself. :)

Still, the point stands - unless/until you get an explicit yes from Wyrd, you should assume no (and obviously an explicit yes from Wyrd would have more weight than my "assume no"). Wyrd have chosen a specific date for the Open Beta to start, and for others to be able to start playing. I understand the enthusiasm to start sooner, but if they really wanted people to start playing sooner, they would have released the files themselves.

6 hours ago, GrumpyGrandpa said:

Hopefully this isn't too far off topic, but will the open beta include the same PDF format? A few people (myself included) mentioned it being slightly cumbersome to flip through during a match. It is a minor inconvenience, but it would help if you'd supplied the format in 4x per page (2x front and back) or just front and back?

You should be able to print both sides of four cards per page with the current PDF format without doing anything other than changing the print settings in Acrobat.   

• Agree 2

Any playtest materials that have been provided to you still fall under Wyrd's copyright and should not be distributed. 

That being said, you will get new materials to work with next week and some changes to come with those materials, so anything you currently have could be out of date once the Open Beta starts.

You are welcome to discuss anything you would like, but posting our playtest documents is a no-no.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, misterfinn said:

^ This. It's a simple matter of consideration for the wider community. Closed beta testers have been grinding on this stuff for months. It's not new and shiny for us anymore, but it was once and we were all excited about delving into it. Remember how cool it was to see the new stuff? Now the forum community at large has the same opportunity. Would it have been as fun if alpha testers jumped in immediately, posting all of the things they liked/hated about alpha? Nope. If a few people (including me) keep their mouths shut for A FEW DAYS, many people have a more enjoyable experience. How is that even an issue that requires discussion? Show some empathy, for crying out loud.

This would be a good point if not for the fact that forum-goers are autonomous agents with free will and can choose what they read. It is healthier for the forums on the whole for the closed beta testers to be able to post their opinions. Non testers who choose to read information should be skeptical of opinions until they can play with the rules themselves.

• Agree 1