Does "Erudition" stack Intellect?

Ebb

Sorry if this has already been addressed but I couldn't find an answer anywhere. Regarding the Academic Pursuit Talent "Erudition"

It reads: This character may add her Intellect Aspect to the final duel total of every non-Magical Skill that is associated with a Mental Aspect.

My question is if this works on top of Skills which already use the Intellect (such as History, or Long Arms) effectively doubling the characters Intellect Aspect?

1 hour ago, Ebb said:

Sorry if this has already been addressed but I couldn't find an answer anywhere. Regarding the Academic Pursuit Talent "Erudition"

It reads: This character may add her Intellect Aspect to the final duel total of every non-Magical Skill that is associated with a Mental Aspect.

My question is if this works on top of Skills which already use the Intellect (such as History, or Long Arms) effectively doubling the characters Intellect Aspect?

I don’t believe it stacks, it just lets you use your intelligence to Do something being smart would not normally allow, such as flaunting your college degree to somehow intimidate someone.

2 hours ago, Steamtastic Vagabond said:

I don’t believe it stacks, it just lets you use your intelligence to Do something being smart would not normally allow, such as flaunting your college degree to somehow intimidate someone.

That's what I figured, but I'd like to be certain.

10 hours ago, Ebb said:

If you go by the wording, it should be possible to stack it. I haven't had it in any of my campaigns, but it seems like it could get really broken if you somehow manage to get 5 intellect (By Mental Enhancement, or Destiny Steps). And if you already have 5 in the skill for example Long Arms, you get an AV of 15 BEFORE cards... It's not an impossible scenario, it just require a bit of setup, and it will become really nasty.

Also, I highly believe the Fatemaster will challenge you enough to get you killed somehow if you try it :P

6 hours ago, Qualvanda said:

If you go by the wording, it should be possible to stack it. I haven't had it in any of my campaigns, but it seems like it could get really broken if you somehow manage to get 5 intellect (By Mental Enhancement, or Destiny Steps). And if you already have 5 in the skill for example Long Arms, you get an AV of 15 BEFORE cards... It's not an impossible scenario, it just require a bit of setup, and it will become really nasty.

Also, I highly believe the Fatemaster will challenge you enough to get you killed somehow if you try it :P

I'm not too worried about a highly accurate sniper, that sort of seems like a tautology. I'm more wondering about the interaction with the Convince Skill and some of the Talents offered by the Propagandist Pursuit. Seemingly this can already be done (in a way) with the Performer Step 10 Talent "That's Showbiz", but that's three complete social Pursuits so I'd say the character has a right to be powerful if they get that far without getting beat up.

"This character may add her Intellect Aspect to the final duel total of every non-Magical Skill that is associated with a Mental Aspect."

AV is the skill plus attribute - as is calculated in step 2. [AV = long arms + int]
Final dual total is calculate in step 5 or 6 after any cheating (Not that a character with Erudition will ever need to cheat with long arms ;) ) [AV + flipped/cheated card + int]

This is a very powerful/broken combo

Well, it's level 9 Talent. Yes, Academic can be the greatest sniper ever (15 + card). But he\she will spend all of the Skills' points and few Destiny Steps for this thing only. And the Fatemaster still will be able to beat the Academic with Incorporeal or Armored/Bulletproof thugs.

11 hours ago, diki said:
"This character may add her Intellect Aspect to the final duel total of every non-Magical Skill that is associated with a Mental Aspect."

AV is the skill plus attribute - as is calculated in step 2. [AV = long arms + int]
Final dual total is calculate in step 5 or 6 after any cheating (Not that a character with Erudition will ever need to cheat with long arms ;) ) [AV + flipped/cheated card + int]

This is a very powerful/broken combo

Good point. The fact that Intellect is added as a bonus after the duel total is calculated, would seem to imply that it does not conflict with the Aspect already being accounted for...

I still don't see it as being all that powerful. Similar duel totals can already be achieved with the assist action, without the need to invest in a whole other Pursuit, and anything higher than 15 AV seems like overkill as far as Defence duels.

• 2 weeks later...

Something else that seems worth mentioning. If Erudition does stack Intellect, then it would double the aspect bonus of attacks made using any weapon that is being wielded with the Telekinetic Movement Magia.

"The caster moves a target object weighing no more than her Intellect x 50 Ibs. (minimum 50 Ibs.) up to 5 yards in any direction. For the next minute, she may spend 1 AP to move the object again without having to recast this spell.

If the object is a weapon, the caster may make attacks with it (and may Charge with Close Combat weapons), using the appropriate Skill but replacing the relevant Aspect with her Intellect."

I haven't found any weapons that I would consider overpowered with this interaction, but I thought someone else might see something I've missed.

39 minutes ago, Nikshe said:

The Erudition Talent only stacks an AV, not the actual Intellect.

The AV for an attack made while using Telekinetic Movement is: Intellect + the relevant Skill (which should be either a Ranged or Close Combat Skill) + card value = the Finale Duel Total (and finally with Erudition) + Intellect.

Edited by Ebb
Clarification

• 4 months later...

*Ignore this post sorry, I got wounds and Willpower mixed up in my head somehow* never mind I was right the first time dang it =P

Quick update, I think I've found an answer, or at least some precedent.

The "Implacable" General Talent on page 144 of Above the Law reads: This character may add her ranks in the Centering skill to the final total of any Horror Duel she makes.

Since the Centering skill is already included in the Horror Duel total via the Willpower Derived Aspect, it clearly stacks (at least in this instance) and from this I conclude that "yes it does stack" is the answer to my original question. This example involves a marginally different set of interactions and Derived Aspects can sometimes behave differently to other Aspects (such as not being able to declare any Centering Triggers during Willpower Duels) but still I think that this answer should suffice for now.

I'd welcome a more authoritative ruling on the subject, thank you.

Edited by Ebb
I made a mistake, and clarification, again =P