General tips and tricks

Pergli

Figured we could use something where we can give advice based on our experiences to try to learn our horde better. Might help the newer players as well as those who are constantly losing :).

General:

tide pools - place them closer to your half of the table than their half. I was placing mine too close so they qere able to walk up and ignore the cover penalty.

speckled crawlers - flip yo glory asap. They can flip to glory and then gain 2 reinforcement tokens to be passed off.

frenzy - take the general upgrade which gives them healing magic. Being able to pass out 3-6 reinforcement tokens and immediately reinforce is a huge deal.

morphlings - i just figured out recently that you can use them to use the hatch ability on eggs to flip to glory on a 7. Do it last though as it ends the activation. The other good ability is devouring eels attack which generates reinforcement tokens and can completely wipe fireteams.

Aby: take the 1 point earyh upgrade which passes out shaken for each drawn card with a mask.

thats all i got for now. Looking forward to hearing other tips and hints! May have more later when i get more time.

Good thread idea, this might be quite helpful.
I don't have much to contribute (for now at least).

Just a small remark though : you can't use the morphling to use the devouring eel's attack.
The morphling states that you can use an action from a  friendly non commander SQUAD.
Sadly, the eel is not a squad, so you can't use its actions.

The egg is a squad though, so you can indeed use the ability to flip to glory on a 7.

EDIT : also good point about puting the relics of ancient malifaux's on the frenzy. I didn't realize you would be able to do the action 3 times with them.
I know it's a bit obvious but since I don't have it for the moment (I didn't back the kickstater, I'm ordering from retail when available) I didn't take the time to think about what the frenzy could do for me :)
I'm definitely impatient to be able to use it now, especially in 2 commander games!

The Frenzy brings up a point and I want to make sure I'm am doing this correctly. Each model can take 1 melee action. If they have enough reinforcement tokens and are in glory, they can use Blood in the Water to do another melee action. So 3 melees (1 per frenzy) and 3 extra with tokens for a total of 6 potential melee actions plus one free moral action.

Possibly a 7th if you reinforce them during that same turn either during upkeep or Relic of Ancient Malifaux.

Claiming objectives with Endless numbered eggs: An egg clutch can be placed anywhere on the table including your opponents deployment zone. There is no reason that you cannot put them right next to an objective and claim it on their activation. Sure they die easy, but whatever is killing the egg is leaving the rest of your army alone. If you have enough eggs and Tactics tokens this can be a real pain to your opponent. If you have initiative and a card to discard, two eggs on a chain activation can claim or destroy two objectives.

I would not do this all the time, but it is a good tactic to remember and at a critical point can score a lot of victory points.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Thisendup said:

Claiming objectives with Endless numbered eggs: An egg clutch can be placed anywhere on the table including your opponents deployment zone. There is no reason that you cannot put them right next to an objective and claim it on their activation. Sure they die easy, but whatever is killing the egg is leaving the rest of your army alone. If you have enough eggs and Tactics tokens this can be a real pain to your opponent. If you have initiative and a card to discard, two eggs on a chain activation can claim or destroy two objectives.

I would not do this all the time, but it is a good tactic to remember and at a critical point can score a lot of victory points.

This doesn't quite work. I don't have the exact reference handy but there is a rule in the summoning section that states a fireteam that was summoned that turn may not interact with Objectives in any way. So you could summon an egg, and if it survives the turn, grab it the following turn, but not the turn it is summoned. This is still useful for sitting on objectives on the outer edge of the board, either denying someone else claiming them, or making your opponent waste actions to chase them down before the next turn

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thisendup said:

Claiming objectives with Endless numbered eggs

Sadly models that are summoned are unable to claim objectives that turn just like @cbtb11235813 said.

I know it’s not tactics persay but something else for newer players to remember:

Summoned models come back flipped from glory (much to my dismay)per summoning rules. Just thought I’d throw this out there as it was something I overlooked at first. 

1 hour ago, Ghoul said:

Sadly models that are summoned are unable to claim objectives that turn just like @cbtb11235813 said.

I know it’s not tactics persay but something else for newer players to remember:

Summoned models come back flipped from glory (much to my dismay)per summoning rules. Just thought I’d throw this out there as it was something I overlooked at first. 

Summoned units also come in with a single full fireteam instead of the full unit

On 1/4/2019 at 11:09 AM, cbtb11235813 said:

Summoned units also come in with a single full fireteam instead of the full unit

Very important to remember! I made this mistake when I first started. I knew it felt too good to be true even when I was losing. Haha 

on another note, anyone else buy heavy rains turn 1? I have in the last few games and have not regretted it.

4 hours ago, Ghoul said:

Very important to remember! I made this mistake when I first started. I knew it felt too good to be true even when I was losing. Haha 

on another note, anyone else buy heavy rains turn 1? I have in the last few games and have not regretted it.

Sometimes i've done it but lately if I am attacker i've been taking spawning moon. 1 TT + 3 for a unit of Yarazi or +4 for Whelks or more Karkanoi turn 1 is just too good to pass up. sure they start with 1 fireteam but they reinforce and do the healing magic to add another 2 models to them. 

On 1/4/2019 at 10:04 AM, Thisendup said:

The Frenzy brings up a point and I want to make sure I'm am doing this correctly. Each model can take 1 melee action. If they have enough reinforcement tokens and are in glory, they can use Blood in the Water to do another melee action. So 3 melees (1 per frenzy) and 3 extra with tokens for a total of 6 potential melee actions plus one free moral action.

Possibly a 7th if you reinforce them during that same turn either during upkeep or Relic of Ancient Malifaux.

Yes you are correct. The Frenzy can take 1 action per model plus the unit itself can take a moral action. They can each use a reinforcement token to take another action and honestly... I'm not sure if this is limited at all so you could take as many actions as you have reinforcement tokens. The rules say you can't have free generated actions generate more actions but this doesn't seem to apply (correct me if i'm wrong).
Also, make sure you're adding shark tooth necklaces on them. I didn't pay attention until my most recent game and it definitely made the unit super powerful. Flipping two cards for all attacks, healing casts or even their nipping ability makes a massive difference. 
My turn 1 is usually: Nipping at the heels, move and then hand out 3-4 reinforcement tokens or replace dead units. It's extremely demoralizing to your opponent to just watch their entire turn 1 be erased as all the models come right back.

On 1/4/2019 at 1:48 AM, MajorUndead said:

Just a small remark though : you can't use the morphling to use the devouring eel's attack.
The morphling states that you can use an action from a  friendly non commander SQUAD.
Sadly, the eel is not a squad, so you can't use its actions.

The egg is a squad though, so you can indeed use the ability to flip to glory on a 7.

Yeah, I noticed that. It definitely brings their adjunct down in power for me to the point where I may not even take it in stripped skulkers anymore unless I have a point lying around.

Eggs: Make sure you're bringing back 1-2 of these a turn. With the GH ability to bring back units, it only applies to the squads killed the previous turn. You won't regret this in the later stages of the game. Things i've found a use for it: Flipping units that you've brought back to glory, flipping units to glory that are too far on the other side (yarazi are a good contender for this) and planning to take future objectives. I've dropped them on turn 3 with the intent of any that stay alive claiming objectives on turn 5 and its paid off.

Karkanoi: Get reinforcement tokens on these ASAP. Melee 8 with S4 is powerful in our army. Tie this in with an adjunt who is using another units attack with the +x to the AV, they hit hard. 

Tide Pools: Spawn as many of these as you can over a game. They are hampering to your opponent and beneficial to you. Do you have a 10 in your hand or an extra 3 Tactics tokens, it is always worth dropping more of them on the board. It allows your summons to come through closer to your opponent, make your opponents mobility dangerous and gives you massive control.

Yeah Heavy Rains can be bought multiple times. I usually spend the tactics tokens on that rather than Cards. But I usually play single Commander so far. Frees up Sirens actions and by the time you've hit turn 3 so much if the board is hazardous your opponent is usually stuck between a rock and a wet place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1