Seafood Diet

Ghoul

When I see food I eat it.

All joking aside, I am now a few games in with the hordes. I’ve only played 1 commander (siren) and the starter set with a few assets to taste for 25 script games. After playing I was left wondering, “Am I devouring enough?”

my question to my fellow Sea Kings is this... How aggressively are you snacking?

should I for example, activate karkanoi with focused effort. Eat a fire team, go to glory spawn egg with next one, regenerating segments last one? Of course take the reinforcement token from focused effort. This obviously requires flipping right cards but could be quite good.

or is it better to bide my time on egg clutches? Furthermore in the case of clutches, would it be viable to bring a few tasty eggs to the party on army construction? Bring it back next turn anywhere with one tactics token?

Please feel free to share your devouring strategies :) 

I haven't worked out the balance either. Some games i'm eating my own units too much and some games i'm not eating enough.

If its only 25 scrip and the starter set, I wouldn't bring eggs.

Storm Siren
Conch horn maybe
1 depending on what you're opponent is or give a morphling to either of the units below. Consider bringing Relics of ancient malifaux. This will allow the storm siren to pass out reinforcement tokens if necessary to your units.

2x skulkers - 14
1x Karkanoi - 8

If you don't bring the above you don't really have the models to compete against another 25 scrip army. Sure there's other models but we're talking about starter set plus upgrades. 

Using focus effort turn 1 sounds great on paper but if you're up against KE or Aby, you're going to get shot to death if you aren't advancing forward. Definitely spawn some eggs and advance forward and try to eat those. The ones you eat, bring them back immediately to be eaten again, repeat until full glory, continue repeating to claim objectives and annoy the enemy.

advance, eat, repeat. That is what I’ve been trying to do. I Played 2 games back to back against 2 different KE players. The damage was brutal to say the least. (Especially the South Wales guys). My only salvation that particular game was oddly enough that they were too good at killing my things. We were playing set traps,so I was able to come back with skulkers in his backfield and start placing next turn.

13 hours ago, Pergli said:

Using focus effort turn 1 sounds great on paper but if you're up against KE or Aby, you're going to get shot to death if you aren't advancing forward. 

I know there is already another thread about this but the damage these factions put out is gnarly.(seemingly when compared to ours). My karkanoi connected infiltrators turn 1 and they lived for all 5 rounds as well. Maybe I just flip cards like burnt pancakes but I could not kill the buggers 

7 hours ago, Ghoul said:

I know there is already another thread about this but the damage these factions put out is gnarly.(seemingly when compared to ours). My karkanoi connected infiltrators turn 1 and they lived for all 5 rounds as well. Maybe I just flip cards like burnt pancakes but I could not kill the buggers 

Where you taking focused effort and grabbing reinforcement tokens while in combat? +1 per token to their AV helps them hit much more often.
Also, speaking of reinforcement, give them reinforcement from the healing magic ability from that upgrade, when they are swinging with AV 8 and S4, they hit like a truck. Just had a full unit bring down the aby main titan on turn 2 with 2 extra reinforcement tokens.

So turn 1 I've found that I like to keep the Karkinoi back and bulk them. They go in on opportunities since they're your shock troops, they should be kept safe. They should go first and shoot for as many eggs as you can make to eat. If you can get all three, perfect! If you can only get one, make sure it goes to Stormy. You can then bring that one back over and over again to glory the rest as the game continues. Mind you, in pitched assault, you're going to give up two points to eat an Egg, so make sure you stack as many Glories as possible in a single turn to maximize the benefit versus the cost. 

Otherwise, use your tide pools, cover, and Skulkers to screen and protect the Karks. Also don't forget about the 4 scrip stratagem Onslaught. It allows a free Rush order, and it can be done right before you activate your Karks, so turn 2 or 3 you can get them in there before your opponent can react. A double rush is 16 inches plus 2 of reach gives them a huge charge. If the enemy is already close than you can just Rush and Focus for Free attacks and then you can get the reinforcement tokens for more.

11 hours ago, SAYNE said:

So turn 1 I've found that I like to keep the Karkinoi back and bulk them. They go in on opportunities since they're your shock troops, they should be kept safe. They should go first and shoot for as many eggs as you can make to eat. If you can get all three, perfect! If you can only get one, make sure it goes to Stormy.

Good stuff! Makes sense as Storm sirens gloried lure (can’t remember actual name) and the dangerous tide pools are too legit not to have early. 

How are you all protecting stormy from Margaret belle? I feel like the horde really struggles with her as our lack of shooting with current releases is atrocious.

any tips and tricks to prevent death via rapier wit?

So in all honesty, I haven't actually fought against Margaret yet. From looking at her card and Rapier Wit, Margaret is decidedly the best choice for dealing with the Hordes, and there is no perfect counter. The best case scenario would be to ignore her completely, although that can be easier said than done. Her main weakness seems to be Area attacks (since it doesn't matter if you pass off the attack), a heavy reliance on Tactics Tokens, and blasts/pulses since AFAIK they aren't considered "targeting". Horomatangi can make quick work of her with his pulses. Stormsiren can attempt to Lure her, if she passes off the attack, it can actually benefit you, since you can then move the fireteam towards a tidepool and it won't take damage since it's still yours. If none of those work sheer volume of attacks can do it, but it's going to be very costly. It might (usually) be worth it if you can guarantee she won't poof away before you get her.

If you're playing against a smart opponent, Margaret won't make herself available to attack until your forces are already committed. Keep Siren safe by keeping her in a hazardous pool. Frenzy can use Tidal Scepter to play a similar sneaky role, or just keep themselves spread out so Margaret can only kill 1 per turn. As for dealing with Ruthless Mockery... I don't have many good answers for that.

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

To protect stormsiren, keep about 3 tactics tokens each turn to prevent damage. And about seeng your opponent killing your things: lure him heavily to your pools. Sure, tidepools make ke and aby fireteams suffer. Just do it. And you'll be watching your opponents things to die much faster, than yours)