Crow Runners 6
- Engineer 1

Strategems:
- Behind Enemy Lines
- Lion Amongst Gazelles
- Elite Training
- Overclocked
- Defensive Formations

Strategems are subject to change. I have Basotho to summon Behind Enemy Lines (or Crow Runners if they die). I have a very nice card draw (and 11-12 Tactic Tokens each turn)

Another Version:

Rail Gunner loses Toughness that goes on Thrace. Soulstone Necklace goes on Lord of Steel and Medal of Honor goes on Unathi.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, retnab said:

Sam can't have a HHRC as she's not an Abyssinian unit, she currently can only take one of the generics.  Otherwise, looks good!

<sadpanda>

I`ll just swap it for Stylish monocle then. I knew it looked too good....

I`ll also swap 1 Mehal Sefari for Electrocutioniers, when they arrive.

Had my first game:

Slightly modified list from above vs Cult.

We got the scenario a bit wrong and read the Gorysche rules incorrectly, but here are my notes:

Lion Amongst Gazelles + Lord of Steel with SS necklace is awesome.

Mine Control Device is pretty meh, I think I`d go with Medal of Honor now.

Mehal Sefari don`t seem that good, I`d rather go with Electrocutioniers or Meh Infantry.

Rail Guns are pretty sweet.

1 minute ago, retnab said:

Mine Control Device IMO is best used to drop mines under a Cult portal, and the super low TN gets him to Glory easily

I`ll give it a try but basically its pretty hard because you always have 1 point of entry if you place it touching the deployment zone edge.

With focused efforts for an inspire token you can glory Unathi with a 6 using Mine Control Device, which makes it well worth it in my experience. After you flip to glory it's still useful to fish for tomes or turn low tomes into a draw. You can combo it with Medal of Honor to hand out an extra inspire token per turn as well. The actual effect of the mines is mostly a side benefit in my opinion. I've used it to (sort of) block off a cult portal in the past, but I wouldn't rely on that stopping anyone.

I've gotta agree with you on Mehal Sefari, why would I want one of my most expensive units to be soaking hits for my champions? I'd much rather hire a Mechanised Infantry for 1 scrip less and have the regular fireteams protect my leaders while the 36" range gun does its work. Having a range of 14" on their guns leaves them easily outranged by KE and easily within range for a melee follow up against Cult or Hordes, which they are not tanky enough to survive. Relying on reinforcement tokens to survive when the only ability or action that immediately reinforces is a trigger on Unathi is also a problem for them. Additionally, Electrocutioners are so much better for just 1 more scrip.

29 minutes ago, Jinn said:

With focused efforts for an inspire token you can glory Unathi with a 6 using Mine Control Device, which makes it well worth it in my experience. After you flip to glory it's still useful to fish for tomes or turn low tomes into a draw. You can combo it with Medal of Honor to hand out an extra inspire token per turn as well. The actual effect of the mines is mostly a side benefit in my opinion. I've used it to (sort of) block off a cult portal in the past, but I wouldn't rely on that stopping anyone.

I've gotta agree with you on Mehal Sefari, why would I want one of my most expensive units to be soaking hits for my champions? I'd much rather hire a Mechanised Infantry for 1 scrip less and have the regular fireteams protect my leaders while the 36" range gun does its work. Having a range of 14" on their guns leaves them easily outranged by KE and easily within range for a melee follow up against Cult or Hordes, which they are not tanky enough to survive. Relying on reinforcement tokens to survive when the only ability or action that immediately reinforces is a trigger on Unathi is also a problem for them. Additionally, Electrocutioners are so much better for just 1 more scrip.

I'll give it a try but generally Unathi seems pretty mediocre compared to Lord of Steel. 

I might take 1 Mehal Sefari unit, just to protect Thrace and Unathi, but right now I don`t think they have anything that works for them pre-Glory outside of Protect.

1 hour ago, trikk said:

I'll give it a try but generally Unathi seems pretty mediocre compared to Lord of Steel. 

I might take 1 Mehal Sefari unit, just to protect Thrace and Unathi, but right now I don`t think they have anything that works for them pre-Glory outside of Protect.

Going with two units of Mehal Sefari is not something I'd do outside of a starter game. For the same cost as MS+A you can drop in a fully kitted Dreadnought or look at one of the other options you've listed. I've gotten some use out of them as counter-charge pieces (they have good melee, especially with glory and triggers) as well as using them to help move commanders around, but it's not enough to bring two of them. One to provide some support for Thrace and Unathi is not a bad idea in my opinion.

Prince Unathi vs. Lord of Steel is an odd comparison to make. Prince Unathi is a support piece that can drop some control on the board. Between his interactions with other units' Prototype Assets, handing out reinforcement tokens, and dropping/moving 120mm markers he supports your force. His triggering of others' Prototypes can put them in glory before they've activated in the first turn of the game, which is huge. Lord of Steel gets you a discount on Stratagems while being a supremely mobile piece for running objectives or attempting to assassinate something. Nothing he does supports the rest of your force in the way that Prince Unathi does. Similarly, once your force is mauled or spread out Prince Unathi isn't getting as much work done on their behalf.
Your playstyle may support LoS over PU, which is perfectly fine. That's generally the case for me since I like to use fast moving pieces and use elements like the Steel Legion to draw attention (and kill stuff), so having LoS available to run objectives or act as a mop up element works for me.

With the Mine Control Device, opponents' Breach markers, and deployment. If your opponent puts one directly on the edge of your deployment in such a way where your Mines cannot completely cut it off, you can deploy any element from your force to block that one available sliver of space. Just be aware that Low terrain trait comes into play, so Gory can still pop up and be a Distraction Carnifex without a whole lot of worry.

19 minutes ago, spooky_squirrel said:

Going with two units of Mehal Sefari is not something I'd do outside of a starter game. For the same cost as MS+A you can drop in a fully kitted Dreadnought or look at one of the other options you've listed. I've gotten some use out of them as counter-charge pieces (they have good melee, especially with glory and triggers) as well as using them to help move commanders around, but it's not enough to bring two of them. One to provide some support for Thrace and Unathi is not a bad idea in my opinion.

Prince Unathi vs. Lord of Steel is an odd comparison to make. Prince Unathi is a support piece that can drop some control on the board. Between his interactions with other units' Prototype Assets, handing out reinforcement tokens, and dropping/moving 120mm markers he supports your force. His triggering of others' Prototypes can put them in glory before they've activated in the first turn of the game, which is huge. Lord of Steel gets you a discount on Stratagems while being a supremely mobile piece for running objectives or attempting to assassinate something. Nothing he does supports the rest of your force in the way that Prince Unathi does. Similarly, once your force is mauled or spread out Prince Unathi isn't getting as much work done on their behalf.
Your playstyle may support LoS over PU, which is perfectly fine. That's generally the case for me since I like to use fast moving pieces and use elements like the Steel Legion to draw attention (and kill stuff), so having LoS available to run objectives or act as a mop up element works for me.

With the Mine Control Device, opponents' Breach markers, and deployment. If your opponent puts one directly on the edge of your deployment in such a way where your Mines cannot completely cut it off, you can deploy any element from your force to block that one available sliver of space. Just be aware that Low terrain trait comes into play, so Gory can still pop up and be a Distraction Carnifex without a whole lot of worry.

I don't know how other commanders work but Unathi is missing something that makes him interesting. It might be that he`s very versatile so that he's a bit of everything.

I played 2x Mehal Sefari because I don`t have my 2x Mech Inf and Electrodudes yet so basically I fielded everything I had.

My opponent had 2 games prior to my first so he definitely knew more tricks and was way more familiar with his crew so probably once I manage to realize how my stuff works it going to be better, but a 20" rushing Gorysche teleported by Adeonatos or Doomseekers engaged most of my army so I didn't really have an option to use most of my prototypes.

6 minutes ago, trikk said:

I don't know how other commanders work but Unathi is missing something that makes him interesting. It might be that he`s very versatile so that he's a bit of everything.

I played 2x Mehal Sefari because I don`t have my 2x Mech Inf and Electrodudes yet so basically I fielded everything I had.

My opponent had 2 games prior to my first so he definitely knew more tricks and was way more familiar with his crew so probably once I manage to realize how my stuff works it going to be better, but a 20" rushing Gorysche teleported by Adeonatos or Doomseekers engaged most of my army so I didn't really have an option to use most of my prototypes.

Prince Unathi takes some practice to get used to because his effect in the operation depends heavily on what you bring force-wise and prototype-wise it can quickly become information overload/analysis paralysis when trying to puzzle out what he really does. I had a similar problem with Thrace at first, but now that I've got more practice with just the Aby units, I feel like I can put Thrace into play and get good use out of her.

Fielding everything you have is a familiar thing to me. I used to do this a lot in certain other games if I couldn't proxy. My comment about fielding two of them is more for the long term, and less a criticism of your build -- as you noted, they don't seem to do enough things on the table to warrant their taking a large portion of your resources. Just echoing agreement with that assessment with a note that they can do some work.

Another familiar thing to me is that Gorysche tarpit clogging up my forces. My first game against Cult involved more than half of my forces being tangled up with her for the first two turns, costing me a ton in terms of Operation VP. That's where the whole inspiration for dealing with aggressively placed Breach/portal markers comes from for me. I don't want to have my shooters and objective runners tarpitted for the game (yeah, I know, a Tactics Token allows walking away and non-advance order movement isn't affected, but this was literally my first game so details like that were lost in the noise), so I look at anything I can do or use to limit their ability to use or benefit from those markers.
Among the things I've since figured out is that Mines limit the ability of Doomseekers/Warped/etc. to use the aggressively placed portal with impunity, and that the Mehal Sefari counter-charging an unsupported Gorysche means that Gory eventually dies, but the Mehalf Sefari aren't going to get to do much else during the game. That's the trade-off for an early Titan-rush from your opponent: their Titan is likely to be under-supported if it comes straight into your lines, but the piece trade might cost you overall table position/presence for the operation if you cannot limit your affected surface to just the element you're okay with leaving engaged for a couple of turns.

20 minutes ago, Tris said:

I´ll just say, Unathi commanding a unit of Electrocutioners to use their prototype (which they do for free) and then drawing a card seems like one good example of strong synergies to me :)

Exactly this. It's even more disgusting if you flip/cheat a Tome in and succeed, because then the Electrocutioners go into Glory without needing the margin.

Then you Coordinated Strike to activate the Electrocutioners and get another use of that prototype (Flare Gun or Experimental Rocket, anyone? Both?) on top of their Glory shenanigan ability.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a rematch against Cult.

This time Breachling hit 6 and not 9 fireteams and Gorysche didn`t do a 20" rush order versus 11 fireteams but versus 4. Managed to win by 1 point (if I placed my objective better it would have been 3).

Prince Unathi 
- Hand-Held Recording Device 1
- Soulstone Necklace 1
- Active Defenses Armor

Lord of Steel
- Hand Held Recording Device 1
- Evasive Manouvers 1

Samatha Thrace 3
- Stylish Monocle it is

Mehal Sefari 9
- Engineer 1
- Flare Gun

Mehal Sefari 9
- Engineer 1
- Flare Gun

Dreadnought 7
- Mounted Gunner 1
- Mounter Gunner 1
- Mortar Emplacement 1

Rail Gunner 2
- Toughness 1

Rail Gunner 2
- Toughness 0

Crow Runners 6
- Engineer 1
- Experimental Rocket

Strategems:
- Behind Enemy Lines
- Lion Amongst Gazelles
- Elite Training
- Overclocked
- Medic
- Emergency Repairs

This combination for Lord of Steel is basically unkillable. I finally showed some prowess with Unathi. Rail Guns didn't get to shoot once. I will most likely swap 1 Mehal Sefari unit to Electrocutioniers and upgrade Crow Runners to Mech Infantry, when I get the models.

On 1/18/2019 at 6:48 PM, trikk said:

Had a rematch against Cult.

This time Breachling hit 6 and not 9 fireteams and Gorysche didn`t do a 20" rush order versus 11 fireteams but versus 4. Managed to win by 1 point (if I placed my objective better it would have been 3).

This combination for Lord of Steel is basically unkillable. I finally showed some prowess with Unathi. Rail Guns didn't get to shoot once. I will most likely swap 1 Mehal Sefari unit to Electrocutioniers and upgrade Crow Runners to Mech Infantry, when I get the models.

How are you attaching 3 assets to Unathi and two to the Mehal Safari? That takes them over the limits allowed. No? 

6 hours ago, Smeagle said:

How are you attaching 3 assets to Unathi and two to the Mehal Safari? That takes them over the limits allowed. No? 

Welcome to Abyssinia. We have an army-wide special rule during game set up that grants us Prototype Assets that we distribute in a manner that is described in detail on our Allegiance card. The only attachment limitation is that we cannot attach multiple copies of the same Prototype to the same unit. We also have a Stratagem that allows us to pull in another one during the game (Overclocked, included in the list above).

1 hour ago, spooky_squirrel said:

Welcome to Abyssinia. We have an army-wide special rule during game set up that grants us Prototype Assets that we distribute in a manner that is described in detail on our Allegiance card. The only attachment limitation is that we cannot attach multiple copies of the same Prototype to the same unit. We also have a Stratagem that allows us to pull in another one during the game (Overclocked, included in the list above).

I realise now that the Allegiance card is how Unathi got the extra Asset.. 

But over clocked doesn't let you ignore attachment rules... 

42 minutes ago, Smeagle said:

I realise now that the Allegiance card is how Unathi got the extra Asset.. 

But over clocked doesn't let you ignore attachment rules... 

For starters: the listed Prototypes are what trikk get at the start of the game and anticipates using. Because it is something that is determined during Scouting (and thus you know what your opponent is fielding) you can change up which Prototypes you take basically at the last minute. In a two Commander game, you start with 4 of them (see also: four in the list) that can be attached to any Abyssinia units ignoring Asset limits. So your concern about the attachment rules doesn't apply there.
For reference, here's the relevant portion of the Allegiance card:

During Scouting, you gain two Prototype Assets per friendly Commander. You may Attach these Assets to any Abyssinia units in this Company, ignoring Asset limits.

Now onto Overclocked (relevant portion quoted here for reference)

Attach a Prototype Asset not currently in play on a friendly unit to a friendly unit that does not have a Prototype Asset.

It defines an attachment restriction unique to it (because Prototype Assets do their own thing).
The other two things to look at are the Allegiance card (above) and Asset base rules (below):

Titans may attach up to 3 Assets, Champions up to 2 Assets, and every other unit may attach 1 Asset.

This is the base Asset limit rule, which is what we refer to when there's no other rule about attachment limitations (like our ignoring them with the Advanced Prototypes Allegiance ability during Scouting phase). This combines with Overclocked in the case of a Titan or Champion that has less than their maximum number of Assets. If that Titan or Champion already has a Prototype Asset, then they may not attach another, even though they have less than the maximum described in the Asset attachment rule quoted above.

The Allegiance card only applies to attaching the initial ones during the Scouting phase, so it does not change either the base limitation or the enhanced restriction from Overclocked.

So later on in the game, when you might actually play Overclocked in order to gain a Prototype Asset, you can only attach it to a friendly Abyssinian unit that does not have a Prototype Asset already that is also not at their Asset limit (because the attachment to Allegiance part of the Asset rule still applies). That only comes up during a game in progress, when you have bought Overclocked and are attempting to play it to attach a Prototype Asset. It is not something that you worry about at the start of the game, nor do you already map out where the Asset might go, since you have no way of knowing when you will use it or for what asset/unit until the game is in progress.

Where it's most likely to come up with the list that trikk provided is either:

1. after using Behind Enemy Lines to summon in either the Bos. Cav. or another unit of Crow Runners. Use of Overclocked would then hand them a Prototype asset that they can put to use on the back table edge. OR:
  2. after the Dreadnought has had to scrap an asset to stay alive, use of Overclocked can get you a lovely Gramophone Amplifier that will help keep your squads topped up. OR:
  3. after an Asset like Toughness is disabled and scrapped to keep a Rail Gunner alive. You might then use the Overclocked Stratagem to attach a Prototype to the Rail Gunner so that it can change up what it is doing.

Between these two, the most likely one you'll plan for is the first. Summon in some Crow Runners in Turn 2-3, get them some reinforcement tokens, and if they're still around in the next turn, give them a Prototype that lets them get some work done. If you're being really spending with Tactics Tokens, you might do both around the same time or earlier in--but you really want to make sure that the Crow Runners survive their first turn on the table before you sink too much into them.
I mentioned the second and third one because planning is great and all, but sometimes stuff happens. That unit of Crow Runners was obliterated before it could really do anything, and

• you're about to activate your Dreadnought in the middle of three of your squads, and they're looking a little rough around the edges, or
  • you've got a no-longer-tough Rail Gunner to activate who is all jammed up with a few too many problems to simply spend a Tactics Token and walk away, but wouldn't you know it? One of those problems is a Champion that has no Assets left either. Guess who is about to get some Shock Batons in a care package at the start of their activation!

Is anyone elese aware of the fact that RAW one could argue that you are allowed to attach more than one copy of the same UNIQUE Prototype asset during hiring (or scouting to be more precise) as long as it`s to two different units?

There is a point on p.40 in the grb explaining the "limitations" for assets, one of them is the "Unique" keyword.

Restricted (x) and Slot are also on this list, so an Infantry unit could attach cehmical foggers or the titan could attachactive defenses armor....

Reason being there`s no definition of "Asset limits", so one could argue Prototypes ignore all "limitations", as that`s the only available term that seems to fit.

Wouldn`t play it that way and I will rule against it in our club but want to put that out there, maybe there`s someone who could help us with that question or else it`s another point for the FAQ list? :)

• Agree 1

There's a difference between the Asset limit described (pg 12 of the PDF) prior to the anatomy of the Asset card and the Limitations described within the wording of the Asset. The limit on the number of Assets a unit can have is described in plain text and is set by the unit type (Titan, Champion, other). The Limitations described on Asset itself are restrictions specific to and defined by that Asset. If the wording on the Allegiance ability said "ignoring Asset Limitations" I could see that argument (but I would certainly not encourage having that argument during a game), but it's not using same keyword. Even "ignoring Asset limitations" might have some wiggle room, since we have some examples of keywords not always having the capitalized lead letter within the body of the rules.

So as written, in a game where keywords are vital (and typically in bold font or capitalized in order to call attention to them as keywords), if something uses that explicit keyword, sure it applies to that keyword. If it does not use that explicit keyword, then no, it does not apply. RAW is built on explicit use of keywords.

Edited by spooky_squirrel
missed capitalizing an 'Asset'; it's easy to do that
  • Agree 1