2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - January

Caedrus

@Viruk It never ceases to amaze me how you manage to make and paint so many models in a month to such a good standard and I always look forward to seeing what you're going to come up with next....those Saboteurs are my favourites of an excellent looking group

@Polar43 I really like your choice of palette and style of painting...basing is great too...look forward to more in the year to come 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

On 1/19/2019 at 7:02 PM, Stranglelove said:

Hello, new painter, here. I got The Cult of the Burning Man as a Christmas Gift and have been painting them since January 1 for Adepticon. Finished painting the ECB Black OPs and the Warped (except for basing, which I'm dreading). Anyway, here is a BLOPS Fireteam:

1464640628_leastblops.thumb.jpg.c54ba9f8fb9310f40882575b29617441.jpg

And here is a Warped Fireteam:

warped1.thumb.jpg.3df80ff68f09715841f694275e249738.jpg

I'm new to the Hobby Forum, so I'm not sure how to upload anymore with the forum's attachment limit. 

I had the same problem with the uploads, what i did is: upload the images to imgur or a similar site, and to attach them use the “insert other media” button and “insert image from url”.

This does the job.

But I m new at this too, so maybe the forum veterans can guide us to a better way. :)

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Diddick said:

I had the same problem with the uploads, what i did is: upload the images to imgur or a similar site, and to attach them use the “insert other media” button and “insert image from url”.

This does the job.

But I m new at this too, so maybe the forum veterans can guide us to a better way. :)

I'll give that a shot, thanks!

On 1/18/2019 at 6:27 PM, lusciousmccabe said:

Don't know whether the plates and rivets are going to help with the NMM illusion or make it more annoying, but either way I'll be thinking patient thoughts for you. 😉

I'm hoping that I can use something other than a brush for the NMM effects on the rivets! I'm considering using a pencil dipped in paint!

@Diddick: Hiya! The broken-earth base of the A&D fits perfectly. Kudos! There are so many great painters here!

@misterfinn: My airbrush problems are the opposite! It was 104 degrees Fahrenheit here today. I cant help with the cold, other than to envy you! That Freikrops green is absolutely gorgeous, and the Engineer looks great, but I haaaaate that saw-thing. I'll be converting mine with a sawblade made from watch cogs. Super cohesive with The rest of the Freikorps.

@bedjy: That Hanging Tree is gorgeous. I just got one of those, still intimidated by it...

@Athiko, @misterfinn is right on the money with the fire advice ... but only you can decide if your effects act like fire! P3 Turquoise Ink is wonderful for saturating the turquoise flames. I have yet to touch my Marshals... I think I'll chicken out and use traditional red fire. 

@Purple Mist: I really, really want to try those Colourshift paints. James Wappel used them recently, I've been inspired since. The NMM was done with black, white, and Reaper's Winter Blue. And some beta blockers 😆

@Viruk: I'm blown away. That entire group is magnificent. How'd you do the flames? Putty or sculpting gel, or something else? Also, is just everyone in Poland a wizard with paintbrushes? 😉

I'm on the home stretch with metal Lady J and The Judge. I'm not sure why The Judge is wearing cat's eye glasses, but who am I to judge The Judge?🤨

Keep putting pigment to plastic!

Caedrus.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Caedrus said:

I really, really want to try those Colourshift paints.

I just worked out the first step to try Colourshift paints.

Greenstuffworld recommends to use black glossy primer as a base for their Colourshift paint sets. So I bought the glossy primer and worked the horse of the Mechanical Rider with it in anticipation to airbrush a Corourshift Metal Paint over it. I'll paint the rider with traditional colours and brushes. But unexpected troubles Mech Rider will be my pledge for next month.

Indeed, I bought some Corourshift Metal Paints to try them over my spaceships for Dropfleet Commander looking to quickly paint them with airbrush.

Thanks for the comments, appreciate them!

The bases are Clear Yellow Fire inserts from Darkage but I ended up using just the flame part on some of the bases and adding more with GS (such as flames around the wheels of Miss Fire's bike).

As for painting the flames - I start with solid white basecoat and follow with gradual highlights going up with yellow/orange.red and a light touch of black. After that I put in some random patches of orange/yellow to make sure the fire looks a bit chaotic. It can be done with an airbrush which is probably the faster/easier way as long as you get the consistency of paint right. With brush you also need to thin down the paint a little.

• Thanks 1

Hey there!

let me show you my first model finished for January. I have to say I'm not happy at all with it, it annoyed the hell out of me during the first assembly, painting and then final assembly when all parts were finished, but at least is done (just waiting for the microarts base to arrive so it has the same base as the other Wild Ones). 

wild-one-1.jpg

wild-one-2.jpg

Hopefully the rest of the models for January will take significantly less time. And I'm done with trying MNM, at least for a while!

• Like 8

23 hours ago, Caedrus said:

@Chou: I'm struggling through a NMM project myself. Normally, NMM is all about contrast, but your metal technique would make an awesome leaden metal. It's also quite close to an iron effect. Kudos!

Thank you very much! :Teddy:

For my next two models I think I'm using just regular metallic, but will come back for sure to MNM until I master it... or I rage quit, which ever comes first!

• Haha 2

Horse from Mechanical Rider airbrushed with Greenstuffworld Corourshift Metal Paint over a gloss black primer.

IMG-20190124-170109.jpg

I'm happy with the result considering that the model was just airbrushed with primary paint and no wash was till used.

It's interesting to point out that the color shifts from bright blue to violet depending of the angle of view or the incidence of artificial light.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, lusciousmccabe said:

Seems like a great place to start.

Thanks for your interest.

As you said this was just the starting point. And really quick indeed: it took me no more than 5 minutes. The Mech Rider will be my pledge for next month. Today I took the chance to airbrush the Mech Horse because I was working after my Dropfleet Commander spaceships. Soon I'll finish and post pictures for current month pledge: the Bad Ju-Ju. I've to work last brush touches to finish it.

@bedjy I'm waiting to see your Hinamatstu model finished. It already looks like one of the best figures I ever saw.

@Chou I understand your model was a true painting challenge  you are successing. My congrats..... and a bit of envy.

@misterfinn & @Viruk great job with your pledge: lot of models and very well done with personal style.... as always you did! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3