2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - January

Caedrus

Well, I'm ready for the new year, but I'm not sure I'll have enough models to keep my 31+ Ss painted per month !
But I'll try it anyway :)

For January though : 

• 2 beckoners
  • 1 bayou smuggler
  • 1 Hinamatsu
  • some wyrdscape (hopefully the whole of them !)
  • Like 1

I think i chose henchman as a level but cant remember. In any case im pledging to finish my Santiago (7), papa loco (7) and if i have time my nino ortega (7) aswell

Started Santiago just before nye, but between family and hangovers have not had a chance to get more done

Quick question, how do insert image? Ive an imgur acc which ive tried to link the pic but it doesnt seem to show

Edited by Polar43
Insert pic

Hello and happy new year to everybody!

I looked at @Caedrus' lists of goals and I decided I'll do the one on painting a crew box before M3E drops. I have to act early given how fast I paint. Hopefully the new edition wont arrive before I finish the crew box.

The issue is that I have many crew boxes that are already half painted so I have to choose among those that habit the drawer of shame. Given how complementary Seamus' box is to Molly, whose miniatures I have been painting recently, I'll paint some minis from the following picture: 

e2547dc5-3d22-4324-ba61-f3accd873635-ori

Notice that there is also a dead doxy at the bottom of the picture. This wont help cleaning the shelf of shame, but I think it is the best compromise if I want to fill this goal and consider minis that are useful for game purposes as well.

@emiba this Killjoy really looks promising! I'm looking forward to see more of it. Which colours have you been using so far?

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Franchute said:

this Killjoy really looks promising! I'm looking forward to see more of it. Which colours have you been using so far?

I was afraid someone might ask this. 😝 I mixed so much I lost track! I'll try to get a decent write-up later when I'm back at the paint station but I'm using Vallejo paints and started with green gray shades, worked my way through various red, orange and yellow browns. The brightest highlight in these pictures is called base or flat flesh I think (a step I did to try and bring tone down the sense of fantasy if that makes sense?) It's since had a final highlight of pale sand which I think will be the brightest highlight.

large.IMG_20190103_100800.jpg.fb0701c42a7b24f983a67150f90d14e3.jpg

Suggestions for colors of the arm and feet thingies would be much appreciated. The cleaver and chain are painted rusty with the same red orange browns.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, emiba said:

Suggestions for colors of the arm and feet thingies would be much appreciated. The cleaver and chain are painted rusty with the same red orange browns.

Paint mixing is the best! As for your question, honestly I'm struggling. Your colour palette is quite unlike what I'm used to working with. Brown? Dark and/or orange brown perhaps? Would give nice contrast to the pale skin but still keep the overall colour selection on the mini limited, which I think would be beneficial here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Paint mixing is the best! As for your question, honestly I'm struggling. Your colour palette is quite unlike what I'm used to working with. Brown? Dark and/or orange brown perhaps? Would give nice contrast to the pale skin but still keep the overall colour selection on the mini limited, which I think would be beneficial here.

I was thinking browns too, but I'm worried it'll blend too much with the rust. Maybe a gray brown, blueish gray or pale brown/beige, like natural linen?

First WIP shot of 2019. Seeing how fragile the link would be, I pinned the wheels and surrounded them with GS-sculpted flames. I want to make it look like she's riding through a fiery inferno (and make sure she doesn't snap off her base too easily).

miss-fire-wip0.jpg

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, emiba said:

I was thinking browns too, but I'm worried it'll blend too much with the rust. Maybe a gray brown, blueish gray or pale brown/beige, like natural linen?

Could keep it darker, less orange, than the rust. Grey brown sounds nice.

Usually my go-to's for little bits like these are either beige, darker brown or dark cold grey. For this piece I feel you really want something dark to contrast with the skin and cooler grey would be perhaps a bit too out of sync with rest of the piece. So (dark) brown it'd be, if I were doing it.

• Like 1

Just got home and found my Bushwhackers box delivered for Mah Tucket in January.

Bonus: While putting away all the Christmas stuff I found a game box which had my old Perdita and Lilith boxes; The Ortegas are put together and based but the Lilith box hasnt been touched. Guess I have more stuff to do.

- Gertz

starter box.jpg

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, emiba said:

In the end I went with purple gray and I'm quite happy with the result. Not only did I not need my Mulligan for the first month (yay!) but I even finished with 4 weeks to spare. It won't be a habit...

I even think it might be my best model to date...

Congrats! It's excellent! The tree trunk and swampy bit on the base have really contributed to the overall effect, and I really like the vibrant red colour of the fresh blood effect. Which paint did you use for that? GW/Citadel Blood for the Blood God paint, or something more affordable? 😜 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scatterbrain said:

I really like the vibrant red colour of the fresh blood effect. Which paint did you use for that? GW/Citadel Blood for the Blood God paint, or something more affordable? 😜  

It's a tip I picked up a long time ago. First there's a purple wash/glaze, then there's a darker, vibrant red glaze over it. I use normal paint and glaze medium. You can stipple them to mix and look a bit irregular. The important part is you want it to be translucent. Then there's a gloss varnish over the top.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, emiba said:

In the end I went with purple gray and I'm quite happy with the result. Not only did I not need my Mulligan for the first month (yay!) but I even finished with 4 weeks to spare. It won't be a habit...

I even think it might be my best model to date...

Loving it! Just goes to show that to get good paintjobs one needs to just sit down with a paintbrush. And maybe consult fellow painters when faced with a dilemma. But mostly just sit down and paint:)Anxiety doesn't swing the brush for you haha.

Did a bit more work on my Oni last night:

pic4495841.jpg

Red is done. Glossy due to how I like to paint it (inks inks inks!), but varnish ought to bring it town a tad. It does mean you're not seeing quite true to life highlights on it because of my painting lamp but c'est la vie. I also did a lot of work on that black and oh boy. I dislike using pure black at the best of times but during the course of painting this figure I've come to learn that I really really don't like painting this figure. I think the model looks amazing, but some things you just enjoy or don't enjoy painting you know? I like skin, I like clothing, fur, "living" stuff I guess (won't surprise anyone my 2nd faction is Marcus:D). But this guy is supposed to be stone-like and has some hard edges to match, I'm just not a happy painter with it. When I took this wip pic I was done with the black purely out of frustration but looking at it now I have to toss some extreme highlights there just to pop it a bit more. But that's probably all I will do with the black. No use bullying myself with an unfun paintjob.

Still got metallics and gems to do.  That's another evening or two most likely. Torso armour is just undercoated but you can see the gold basecoat on arms and legs. Handle of his axe is painted dark red with pale orange highlights.

So yeah, cool mini but totally not my style.

• Like 4

Hey there!

New year, new models! Let's see if I can make up for the crappy last month of the 2018 Challenge. This month I'll try to paint:

* Patti Ramone for 7 SS, finishing the Wild ones crew.

* Witchling Thrall for 9 SS

* Brutal emissary for 10 SS. 

* Executioner for 9 SS

For a total of 35 SS. 

• Like 1

@emiba  That’s a really solid model! I think your rust, viscera, and mud effects are particularly well-done. I’m glad you went with the purple for the wraps, too. 

A compositional suggestion: the tree trunk draws my attention away from the model itself because it’s so much lighter than everything else. Consider painting it a much darker grey-brown, perhaps with some patches of moss or something to tie it in more closely with everything else on the base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1