2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - January

Caedrus

8 minutes ago, Franchute said:

@bedjy I agree with the others, your hinamatsu "déchire" (I'm just following @Maxooo here and use some French so that I have the inpression that the meaning is stronger 😊)

Ahah ! Ain't just an impression IT IS stronger!! French Squad is StronK !😛

And Btw I'm quite impressed with that Purifying Flame, I always found that model kinda ugly for some reason but i guess it was cause' i haven't seen yours so far ;)  I love that you went for a really Dark squeletton for more contrast and also like the different tones on that sweat sweat OSL'ed base

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

@Scatterbrain Knew you could do it ! Well done 👍

@Primate Welcome aboard - great first  models 👍

@lusciousmccabe I keep going back to the colours you used on your Insidious Madness...totally killer colour  combo that I wouldn't mind knowing the recipe for 😉👍

@Franchute Your Purifying Flame is amongst the best I've seen...really like the way you kept the skeleton dark  - looks way more menacing 😎👍

@bedjy Beautiful looking models coming from great choice of palette and excellent brushwork - can't decide which one I like the most...so I'll say all of them 👍

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Burnin' Coal said:

...and so....my January pledge is complete....and for the first time ever in my history of Challenge attempts I'm posting hours before the deadline...not only that...for the first time ever I managed to paint way more than my pledge...quite simply I had more fun painting these TOS figures probably more than anything else I've ever done...so...I completed not only a Raving Madman and three of The Warped that I showed in my WIP but an ENTIRE fireteam !!....

@Caedrus True confession...sorry but I have no idea how many SS this works out at but am happy in the knowledge it's loads more than I pledged

Love the basing! Simple yet varied.

Awesome fireteam!

• Thanks 1

@Burnin' Coal love the look of your minis this month and more than happy to supply my paint recipe... if I can remember it! 

Undercoat: Black-grey-white zenithal, then hit the left side with Prussian Dark Blue and the right with Transparent Red (all my paints are vallejo).

Red side: Purple ink, Violet Red and Black Red for shading. Red (70.926) and Flat Red for highlights. If I were to do it again I would have gone for more a brown undertone here as the red-on-purple didn't gel as well as I would have liked it to.

Blue side: Mix of Ultramarine (Game Colour) and Imperial Blue for the main areas. More imperial blue for shadows. Highlights of Ultramarine and then Light Turquoise. The sort of Indigo-Blue-Turquoise progression here worked pretty well I think. I was trying to match it on the red side with warm colours but couldn't really pull off the contrast or blending as well.

Teeth/eyes/mask: Ivory, Ice Yellow and I think Green Ochre, possibly with a wash of Agrax Earthshade (GW) thrown in there. 

Hope that's useful and good look in February, you've set yourself a high bar to jump over!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Maxooo said:

@Burnin' Coal .....how can, We that haven't picked up TOS, resist anymore  !?  ...😭

Thanks for the kind words👍....for me when faced with such a dilemma I adhere strictly to my policy of "There is NO such thing as too many models " 😉

....like I said in my post I am having SO much fun painting these models ,helped immensely because they are pre-assembled which means that the second you open the box you are either straight into playing or filling and priming which is what enabled me to take on ten models in a month....

...take the TOS plunge 😉 the sculpts are knockout (and don't break when you drop them - yay !! I know because I've tried already 🙄🙂

• Like 1

Here are my models for January. Sadly I didn't finish the emissary, so he will be my first model for February. A total of 25 SS

* Patti Ramone for 7 SS, finishing the Wild ones crew.

IMG-20190131-224513.jpg

* Witchling Thrall for 9 SS

IMG-20190131-224552.jpg

* Executioner for 9 SS

IMG-20190131-224606.jpg

* Brutal emissary it's still in progress, so 0 SS.

IMG-20190131-224628.jpg
IMG-20190131-224647.jpg

• Like 7