2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - January

Caedrus

Welcome!

This is the thread for the January 2019 Monthly Painting Challenge. I’m Caedrus, and I’ll be your host for 2019. I’d like to sincerely thank @Franchute for the 2018 efforts, and I hope to do as good a job in this upcoming year!

If you’d like to be part of this challenge, please introduce yourself below, and post what level you’ll be painting at! The painters who have already signed up will have their details put into the spreadsheet here.

The 2019 Wyrd Monthly Painting Challenge is all about:

1. Having fun painting!
  2. Motivating yourself, and encouraging others.
  3. Being part of a great, friendly community.
  4. Giving and receiving constructive advice. And, finally:
  5. Getting some pigment onto plastic!

This is not a competition in any way.

The pledge categories are the following:

• Minion: you paint at least 1 soulstone worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Enforcer: you paint at least 6 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Henchman: you paint at least 11 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Master: you paint at least 16 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month
  • Tyrant: you paint at least 31 soulstones worth of Malifaux miniatures each month

The rules:

• The challenge will start on January 1st 2019. 
  • Models count for the month in which you finish them. You can finish painting a model that you started before the beginning of the month.
  • Everyone may fail to make their monthly goal twice and stay in the challenge. This is using a mulligan.
  • You can choose to go down a pledge level during the year, but you cannot move up.
  • You may choose to sign up during a later month for the challenge but this means that you'll have to use one or two of the aforementioned mulligans: e.g. if you start in February, one mulligan will automatically be used because we missed January; if you start in March, two mulligans will already be used; you can’t start in April.
  • A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.

Miniature Values:

Malifaux

• Almost all models count as their Soulstone value;
  • Masters count for 15 soulstones.
  • Zero cost models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Proxies (constructed from Wyrd models) count for their proxy value.

The Other Side

• Almost all models count as their Scrip cost in soulstones;
  • Commanders count for 15 soulstones.
  • Adjunct models count for 5 soulstones.
  • Titans are worth triple their scrip cost in soulstones.

Terrain

• Terrain is worth 5 soulstones per 50mm base.
  • Custom tokens are worth 5 soulstones per 50mm base
  • A terrain board is worth 100 Soulstones.

3rd Edition?

If Malifaux 3rd Edition hits in 2019, then the month that the PDF version is available, we will begin using the new values if they differ from M2E.

How to upload images?

1. Go to imgur.com, and create an account.
  2. Click on your account, click on 'images', and then 'add images'.
  3. Click on your uploaded image. You'll see a whole bunch of link options.
  4. Click on the 'copy' button next to 'direct link'.
  5. Go to your Wyrd Forum thread.
  6. Paste (CTRL-V) at the appropriate spot.
  7. The image should appear, resized appropriately to the page.

My very best for the end of your 2018, and I hope you all have a fantastic 2019!

Caedrus.

Edited by Caedrus
Added in some imgur instructions.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I think me and phinn got mixed up. Quick lookthrough of the original thread shows me signing up as minion and him as master. Not the other way around:D

pic4486726.jpg

Gonna start off easy and work on this Obsidian Oni (6ss) that's been sitting on the wip pile for a month or two too long. Just some very preliminary basecoats done. Frankly I don't even count as him being started yet:PI so rarely work with actual black, will be interesting to see how I manage. Usually my go-to is VGC Heavy Charcoal as my not-black and that makes life so much easier. But it's good go outside one's comfort zone.

I won't be going out of my way to "catch 'em all" but I feel this should be linked here. I'm sure Caedrus approves:

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

I think me and phinn got mixed up. Quick lookthrough of the original thread shows me signing up as minion and him as master. Not the other way around:D

Good lord, no :D I signed up as a Minion as well. That gives me freedom to paint whatever miniature I feel like :)

My pledge for January is male Cyclops worth 8 SS :)

@Phinn, @Nikodemus: Oops. Autofill in Excel. I shall replace it with an online spreadsheet shortly, as the image was way too poor a resolution.

Nikodemus, thanks for the plug to my other thread. I hope it inspires (or at least provides a few minutes of entertainment while people work out where the Achievement names came from 😊)!

Thought I might show my "shelf of shame" too. Keeping it strictly Wyrd, and it's not really "shame" so much as "do I really need a third Tengu?":D Ok ok few are singles I bought or traded for (like this month's Obsidian Oni) so I really ought to get most of these painted sooner rather than later.

pic4487045.jpg

And if I'm lucky, @Sol_Sorrowsong still has a spare Bultungin I can buy off of him. Those are indeed kickass looking minis once you get a good close look at them.

• Like 3

you guys are funny with what you call shelf of shame...  That's nothing 😊 I should show you my shelf of shame together with my box of shame (where I put these minis who couldnt fit the shelf of shame, with lower painting priority) and my drawer of shame (where the unassembled minis lay).

I still want to finish a mini for the 2018 challenge: I'll post in January what I want to paint for January. I guess it will be Banasuva but my lunatic personality might tell me to paint something else at that point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Thanking @Franchute and @Caedrus for their management of the Monthly Painting Challenge  in 2018 and 2019 respectively, I'l sign up as Minion (1SS per month).

I like the idea of beeing in touch with all other Malifaux painters for next year but I have a lot of models in my "box of shame" and many of them are not Malifaux minis.

I'll present my first model for 2019 MPC in next days; I'm till busy after current month painting duty at present and looks like the month and the year in going to end!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Thedeadclaw said:

Hey @Caedrus, I picked up translucent Tara and I'm painting part of her and leaving part clear, should I count her for one of my models this month or should I plan for 31 SS excluding her?

I'm not @Caedrus, but I like to follow the wisdom that "everyone is entitled to my opinion." 😉 Seriously though, I will be invested in the translucent mini issue later on in the year. Speaking for myself, I think translucent minis should absolutely count if you are part-painting and basing them. Besides, they're tournament legal completely unpainted, if I'm not mistaken.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Scatterbrain said:

I'm not @Caedrus, but I like to follow the wisdom that "everyone is entitled to my opinion." 😉 Seriously though, I will be invested in the translucent mini issue later on in the year. Speaking for myself, I think translucent minis should absolutely count if you are part-painting and basing them. Besides, they're tournament legal completely unpainted, if I'm not mistaken.

I agree, as long as there's some paint on I'd count it, especially if pledging 31 stones per month.

37 minutes ago, Scatterbrain said:

Speaking for myself, I think translucent minis should absolutely count if you are part-painting and basing them. Besides, they're tournament legal completely unpainted, if I'm not mistaken

They're legal unpainted, but I'm going to leave her sword, claw hand and chest hole clear (to symbolize Oblivion) and her feet clear (like they're fading into the glowing translucent base) so it's only going to be ~66% painted. (Admittedly, the drill work, masking and base work is all so weird compared to what I normally like to do that it's still more work than just painting her, but I just wanted to see if that should count!)

1 minute ago, Thedeadclaw said:

(Admittedly, the drill work, masking and base work is all so weird compared to what I normally like to do that it's still more work than just painting her, but I just wanted to see if that should count!)

Absolutely, leaving parts translucent while painting the rest is going to be an effort. In addition to masking, and the challenges of maintaining translucency during assembly, in a recent conversation with @Viruk, the matter of somehow polishing the translucent parts after the paint was applied elsewhere came up. Something else that I read said that fingerprints on the translucent parts from the process can be a problem. I'm also toying with the idea of adding shades and glazes to some of the transparent parts themselves (but not opaque paint). But more about that project is to be revealed in the coming months. 😉

• Like 2

Hi All,

@Franchute: My Shelf of Shame is just one small part. I would estimate that I have about four thousand models unpainted. I have not listened to the Panzer of the Lake:

RuNjG2f.jpg

@Purple Mist: You're signed up. I'll update the spreadsheet and upload it soon.

@Thedeadclaw, @Scatterbrain, @emiba: I've updated the rules, to state: "A model is considered painted if it is (1) based (even glued onto a black base counts); (2) tournament legal. That means that if it's a translucent, based model, it counts automatically. If it is any opaque material, then the standard is: Every part of the miniature painted, and three colours minimum.", which should be a very reasonable standard. 

Translucent Miniature Painting

I'm far from an expert on this topic, but I've found that masking is best done with masking tape and adhesive tack / Blu-tac. While Vallejo's Liquid Mask has its uses, it's better used on flatter surfaces.

For the finishing process, I'm a big fan of Tamiya's X-22. It provides a smoother top layer for any translucent / clear model, and makes any such model appear so much more see-through. I would note, however, that some forums have suggested that Tamiya acrylics are toxic (in case you're a brush licker!). However, I am not a chemist, nor have I read the MSDS on the product. The X-22 is also good for protection against fingerprints, once dry, of course.

Caedrus.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@Caedrus....and there was me thinking that the Panzer of the Lake had parked itself exclusively outside my house...there must be more than one Panzer...I didn't listen either 🤣 

For my January pledge I am going to finish the Shikome I started in last year's Challenge before falling by the wayside....I will also be attempting to finish and base at least one fireteam of The Warped from The Other Side ,so three figures.....the Holidays have given me a chance to pick up tools and brush again to get a ton of prep work done on Cult Of Burning Man from The Other Side....already looking forward to seeing how many I can get finished in the coming months...before I start buying reinforcements 🤣

• Like 4

Hey everyone

Somewhat new to Malifaux, made a few purchases in 2012 but have moved about 5 times since and never got around to painting the Perdita and Lilith boxes I got and now cant find them. I got the Army Painter big box for Christmas and decided to jump back in and buy a faction box. To help stay on track Im signing up here at a minion level to keep me motivated to paint at least one model a month.

First up for January...Mah Tucket which I guess since its a master will count as 15SS. Pictures incoming once I get the post on Jan 3rd.

- Gertz

• Like 8
  • Haha 1