2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - January

Caedrus

8 hours ago, Caedrus said:

I think I went a bit crazy with the orange, what with the hat, pants, rust, and Outcasts-edge base.

The contrast on the hat is too much, but I like it anyway.

You did a great job with richness of details. Not last, we have to remember your mini is really small and that is a nightmare for painbting details..... at lòeast for me! :P

Congrats

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:06 PM, Caedrus said:

...and experimented with using an airbrush to start off NMM effects. I was quite pleased with the results!

Great job! It looks like you made use of Colourshift Metal paints (see the link for Colourshift Metal paints)

www.greenstuffworld.com

Some videos at their site document how to use Colourshift Metal Paint.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Athiko said:

Here's where I'm at with the 3 Death Marshals. Almost done, I think I just need to work on the flames a bit more, any suggestions on what I could do to improve them would be greatly appreciated

As flames they seem a bit on the flat side. Lighter lights and darker darks would sell the effect better I think.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

As flames they seem a bit on the flat side. Lighter lights and darker darks would sell the effect better I think.

Yep I agree, the flames are actually a bit darker than in the picture. I think I'm gonna add some glazes to darken them down a bit more then bring up the highlights to a white

1 hour ago, Athiko said:

Yep I agree, the flames are actually a bit darker than in the picture. I think I'm gonna add some glazes to darken them down a bit more then bring up the highlights to a white

For flames it's important that you highlight "in reverse" to make 'em look right. Flames burn hotter near their source so the highest points of the sculpt will be the darkest. The brighter the crevices, the hotter the flame.

kitchen-fire.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, misterfinn said:

For flames it's important that you highlight "in reverse" to make 'em look right. Flames burn hotter near their source so the highest points of the sculpt will be the darkest. The brighter the crevices, the hotter the flame.

kitchen-fire.jpg

@Athiko did you see what you have done!? Now @misterfinn is burning his kitchen again! Stop giving excuses to this pyromane :)

@misterfinn You may hate the sculpt, but how you painted it turned him amazing! I love the subtle green hightlight.

• Haha 4

Hello,

I'm considering using lichens (from The Army Painter or other company) to finish working my Bad Ju-Ju.

Just out of the box lichens look fresh and wet, so i fear they will dry overtime when applied over models and bases and I expecially fear their aspect and colour could change with the drying process.

Any suggestion, tip or comment as regard?

Thanks in advance.