2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - January

Caedrus

30 minutes ago, emiba said:

I'd love to know how you painted the skin on the three rightmost ones. 

Thanks for the kind words....in answer to your question of how I got there I have a question of my own....how good are you at swearing ? 😁....swearing featured quite a lot in the process 😂

Last year I started experimenting with glazes....had almost four months away from the paint table and had a bit of a reboot along the way...this year decided to experiment more.

......so...two things....(1) Vallejo 70.596 Glaze Medium....(2) a lot of patience....if the glaze isn't 100% completely dry and you apply another layer onto it there's a very real risk that even gentle brushing will see the surface of the colour tear leaving a nasty scratch in a nice smooth blend or surface that is very difficult to repair or patch up.

The three Warped figures were all given an initial mixed base colour....,when that had dried I gave it a couple of washes of colours I wanted to blend be that blue or green or brown...once that was dry I started to accentuate with layers of glazes that also featured yellow and orange (it's an experiment) as a very weak glaze of yellow I have discovered really accentuates whatever is underneath it

Hope that helps....

Fellow painters...if you haven't seen the Lampads by @emiba on a different thread to this be sure to check them out...very dynamic👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Burnin' Coal said:

Thanks for the kind words....in answer to your question of how I got there I have a question of my own....how good are you at swearing ? 😁....swearing featured quite a lot in the process 😂

Last year I started experimenting with glazes....had almost four months away from the paint table and had a bit of a reboot along the way...this year decided to experiment more.

......so...two things....(1) Vallejo 70.596 Glaze Medium....(2) a lot of patience....if the glaze isn't 100% completely dry and you apply another layer onto it there's a very real risk that even gentle brushing will see the surface of the colour tear leaving a nasty scratch in a nice smooth blend or surface that is very difficult to repair or patch up.

The three Warped figures were all given an initial mixed base colour....,when that had dried I gave it a couple of washes of colours I wanted to blend be that blue or green or brown...once that was dry I started to accentuate with layers of glazes that also featured yellow and orange (it's an experiment) as a very weak glaze of yellow I have discovered really accentuates whatever is underneath it

Hope that helps....

Fellow painters...if you haven't seen the Lampads by @emiba on a different thread to this be sure to check them out...very dynamic👍

Haha, fair enough. Swearing and Vallejo Glaze Medium featured heavily in the painting of said Lampads as well. 😂 

• Haha 1

@Athiko  great job on a difficult model with a nice choice of palette...I like your blends and the way it ties in so well with the base👍

@Caedrus Wow ! What a way to take on your shelf of shame ! That NMM in particular is very impressive indeed...not just use of an airbrush but skilled use 😉👍

• Thanks 2

Wow, there is so much beautiful painting going on here! I've been madly busy, but thought I'd take a moment to say: I'm blown away. I think the best thing about the Challenge is how much inspiration I get from everyone's efforts.

@emiba: The cold flesh on Killjoy is fantastic.

@Nikodemus: The saturated red on the Oni is awesome. I wish, I wish I could get reds to look like that!

@Thedeadclaw: The green/yellow colours on your Beckoner is something I hadn't even considered - Pandora-esque. I like it a lot.

@bedjy: I'll be stealing the 'purple shadowing for the flesh tones' technique. I read an article recently that said "Use purple more!" as one of their commandments. I can see why!

@Franchute: Lovely mini, but the gradient on the base is superb.

@Mooseyfaux: I love my Lynch mini, but yours is characterful. The spectre lurking behind and the turned head is a really nice framing of the minis.

@Polar43: Can you remember the blue of the jeans for Santiago? It's exactly what I want to emulate.

@lusciousmccabe: I'm with Burnin' Coal; the purple/blue on the Madness is awesome, and so much braver than anything I'd try!

@Burnin' Coal: Yeah, I'm with the rest of them. Gorgeous fleshwork.

@Spanky: That executioner is some neat painting. Kudos.

@Athiko: Your painting style reminds me a little of this Gracie. That's a hard mini, done really well.

@salisterro: Welcome, and thanks! Did you wet-blend Major? It's gorgeous!

I can't wait to see how January turns out!

Caedrus.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Caedrus said:

Wow, there is so much beautiful painting going on here! I've been madly busy, but thought I'd take a moment to say: I'm blown away. I think the best thing about the Challenge is how much inspiration I get from everyone's efforts.

@emiba: The cold flesh on Killjoy is fantastic.

@Nikodemus: The saturated red on the Oni is awesome. I wish, I wish I could get reds to look like that!

@Thedeadclaw: The green/yellow colours on your Beckoner is something I hadn't even considered - Pandora-esque. I like it a lot.

@bedjy: I'll be stealing the 'purple shadowing for the flesh tones' technique. I read an article recently that said "Use purple more!" as one of their commandments. I can see why!

@Franchute: Lovely mini, but the gradient on the base is superb.

@Mooseyfaux: I love my Lynch mini, but yours is characterful. The spectre lurking behind and the turned head is a really nice framing of the minis.

@Polar43: Can you remember the blue of the jeans for Santiago? It's exactly what I want to emulate.

@lusciousmccabe: I'm with Burnin' Coal; the purple/blue on the Madness is awesome, and so much braver than anything I'd try!

@Burnin' Coal: Yeah, I'm with the rest of them. Gorgeous fleshwork.

@Spanky: That executioner is some neat painting. Kudos.

@Athiko: Your painting style reminds me a little of this Gracie. That's a hard mini, done really well.

@salisterro: Welcome, and thanks! Did you wet-blend Major? It's gorgeous!

I can't wait to see how January turns out!

Caedrus.

@Caedrus it was roughly the following (all vallejo game colour)

base: night blue

shade" hexen lichen

highlights: electric blue followed by glacier blue and eventually a touch of ivory in it. 

all pretty much glazes apart from the base 

• Like 2

My January Silurid work-in-progress.  All the base coats done.  The Silurid is going to need a lot of washes and blending, but the base is coming along better.  

This seems to be a really great and talented group this year!  @Caedrus That junkyard base is amazing!  I have painted that one, but didn't manage to make all the individual components pop independently like that.  Very nice.

large.2019Jan_Silurid_WIP2.jpg.d494269162160ab25928670075ed56e5.jpglarge.2019Jan_Silurid_WIP1.jpg.f8bda21dbee9213cdaae21af84a6d496.jpglarge.2019Jan_Silurid_base_WIP.jpg.887324150f09d1d902a42e0e46831fe3.jpg

• Like 9

@Purple Mist Juju looks ready for the table already. Looking forward to seeing the finished fig.

@Athiko Love the scheme on the necromancy, you've done a great job of defining the various pieces while keeping a unified look. Mind if I asked how you achieved the purply/dead skin-tone? I was actually planning to do something similar in one round of iron painter this year but chickened out as I didn't know where to start.

@Caedrus That dress looks off to a great start, but I don't envy the task ahead of you! Don't know whether the plates and rivets are going to help with the NMM illusion or make it more annoying, but either way I'll be thinking patient thoughts for you. 😉

• Thanks 1

@lusciousmccabe Thanks :)

I base coated all the skin with Daemonette Hide. Then washed with Druchi Violet. Then 1st layer Daemonette Hide again. Then from there built up the highlights on each piece by adding various lighter colours to Daemonette Hide.

So Lion face and Majority of the body was adding more and more Fenrisian Grey until highlighting with pure Fenrisian Grey (Not sure how many layers, maybe 3 or 4) and finally adding some Palid Wych Flesh for extremme highlights

Goat face was adding Baneblade Brown and then Palid Wych Flesh

Snake tail was adding Calador Sky (and i think a very small amount of the fang) and then Palid Wych Flesh

It's something I've just been experimenting with recently and its great for if you want different colours with the same over all tone

• Thanks 1