2019 Monthly Painting Challenge - January

Caedrus

8 hours ago, misterfinn said:

@emiba  That’s a really solid model! I think your rust, viscera, and mud effects are particularly well-done. I’m glad you went with the purple for the wraps, too. 

A compositional suggestion: the tree trunk draws my attention away from the model itself because it’s so much lighter than everything else. Consider painting it a much darker grey-brown, perhaps with some patches of moss or something to tie it in more closely with everything else on the base.

Thanks! That's a good suggestion and something I didn't think of. My Neverborn are all based on a swamp/dead forest theme though and the trees I include are all grayish. If anything, I'd make it a pale green gray. Which leads me to the next topic. I'm lazy and find basing the most boring part of the process. So all my "dead trees" are driftwood straight off the beach. 😁

Jumping in on minion level this year to keep my malifaux models getting painted in the lull between m2e and m3e and my failure to finish last year. 

This is month my pledge is a single saboteur at 4ss with stretch goals of the second saboteur and fisimmons. Also will be trying to get some of my other game systems or random minis painted so will use stretch goals without stones scored for those. Should breeze in this month as they are 99% complete from last month but still have to bring out my paints and start

• Like 3

On 1/3/2019 at 6:43 PM, emiba said:

I'm lazy and find basing the most boring part of the process. So all my "dead trees" are driftwood straight off the beach

Basing's my least favorite part as well. I've started using pre-made bases and base inserts for exactly that reason. I've been OK with my limited options so far but I suspect that will change once I move into Bayou models. When I've used dried-out sticks for logs and fallen branches in the past, I've always painted them because I think the paint helps tie the stick together with the rest of the model. It looks more in-scale somehow. Give it a shot on a sketch model when you feel experiment-y, see what you think.

@bedjy Nice work. Painting white is a pain, and you've made yours look quite natural. I like the skin tones and the red corset as well. Good depth of color there. I see a smudge on the top of the blonde's right boot that you might already have fixed.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, misterfinn said:

Basing's my least favorite part as well. I've started using pre-made bases and base inserts for exactly that reason. I've been OK with my limited options so far but I suspect that will change once I move into Bayou models. When I've used dried-out sticks for logs and fallen branches in the past, I've always painted them because I think the paint helps tie the stick together with the rest of the model. It looks more in-scale somehow. Give it a shot on a sketch model when you feel experiment-y, see what you think.

Fair point, l might give it a try on a spare piece of wood.

Congratulations to those who have finished pledges already!  This is going to be a great year.  I am only pledging one model, a Silurid, so that the pile of models from other games can get started.  I see now in the photo that I need to get some green stuff on the join on the Silurid's front.  Looking forward to painting along with everyone this year.

large.2019Jan_Silurid2_pledge.jpg.f35519e80b8cd8e35d28f0c161e5f854.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Franchute said:

A preliminary WIP of a Rotten Belle:

I hope I can finish the "Getting ready for 3rd Edition" achievement before M3E drops. It may arrive sooner than later given the recent announcement! 😱

What colour scheme are you going to use to paint the cricket? 🦗 😁

8 hours ago, Franchute said:

Green! Like any cricket! 😆

Just a quick note...not all crickets are green. Most of the crickets in my country are black but that would look bad so I agree that green is the obvious choice haha. Great looking progress on the belle by the way :)

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Franchute said:

A preliminary WIP of a Rotten Belle:

Loving the paint on the base. The color variations and spots of mold are really working. Might be the picture, but the green bits (algae or whatever) look a little forest-y to me given the other greens and browns. Maybe knock it down to more of an olive color? Hard to say.

The base itself is one of the Micro Arts Wood bases, right? I'm considering those for an upcoming Gremlin project.

11 hours ago, Mooseyfaux said:

Hey painting crew! Here is my WIP of my Lynch proxy. Still in the early stages but I think he’s starting to gain a personality. I’d love some thoughts and comments as I progress.

I like your palette and the nice contrasts you're building up. I also like your decision to go more smokey than glowy with the wraith thing. The shading washes you've used on the vest and shirt look splotchy in places. I assume you haven't started with the browns (belt, hair, pants) yet so no comments there. Nice work, keep it up!

15 minutes ago, misterfinn said:

Might be the picture, but the green bits (algae or whatever) look a little forest-y to me given the other greens and browns. Maybe knock it down to more of an olive color? Hard to say.

To be honest, I first painted the base without these colour glazes, as I usually do, and suddenly thought I could try and add these extra colours ex post. I wasnt really planing to it. The choice of colours was almost random.

I agree with you that the green parts are a bit weird now. Would you completly paint them again in olive? Or just add say a wash? Do you have a specific olive colour in mind from some paint brand? 

Thanks for the comment. Something was bothering me too but wasnt sure what it was and what to do.

22 minutes ago, misterfinn said:

The base itself is one of the Micro Arts Wood bases, right? I'm considering those for an upcoming Gremlin project.

Yes, it is.

11 minutes ago, Franchute said:

To be honest, I first painted the base without these colour glazes, as I usually do, and suddenly thought I could try and add these extra colours ex post. I wasnt really planing to it. The choice of colours was almost random.

Hooray for happy accidents! :)

12 minutes ago, Franchute said:

I agree with you that the green parts are a bit weird now. Would you completly paint them again in olive? Or just add say a wash? Do you have a specific olive colour in mind from some paint brand?

Nah, I wouldn't completely paint them again. I think layers of color give a lot of depth, especially on things that are old or organic. I actually might start with a translucent wash of something rust-colored and adjust from there with washes/glazes. Do you have unpainted bases that you haven't attached models to yet? You could pick one that has a lot of green bits sculpted in, paint those bits as you've done with the Belle's base, and experiment with different washes on different areas of the base so you can compare...assuming you have the time!