Arcanist Masters and their keyword models [M3E]

WWHSD

The was a recent posting by Wyrd with all of the M2E models and the keywords that they would have in M3E. I went through an put together a list for each Arcanist master and the models that they are able to hire based on keywords. I've also put all of the Arcanist models with the Versatile keyword in a list. From what has been released in the articles and other spoilers from Wyrd, a crew's leader is able to hire any model that share a key word with it (regardless of that model's faction) or any Versatile model that belongs to the declared faction for the cost printed on the model's card. Additionally, they are able to hire models from the declared faction for that model's printed cost + 1 soulstone. 

Sandeep (Academic + Elemental)
Kudra Acharya
Shastar Vidiya Guard
Oxfordian Mage
Kandara
Banasuva
Ice Golem
Ice Gamin
Wind Gamin
Poison Gamin
Essence of Power
Fire Golem
Fire Gamin
Metal Golem (formerly named Rail Golem)
Metal Gamin
Thomas Rafkin 

Marcus (Chimera + Arcanist Beasts)
Myranda
Ferdinand Vogel
Cojo
The Beast Within
Sabertooth Cerberus
Slate Ridge Mauler
The Scorpius
Moleman
Jackalope
Paul Crockett
Blessed of December
Hoarcat
Razorspine Rattler 

Rasputina (December)
Snow Storm
December Acolyte
Silent One
Wendigo
Blessed of December
Hoarcat
Ice Golem
Ice Gamin
Ice Dancer

Kaeris (Firebug)
The Firestarter
Eternal Flame
Fire Golem
Fire Gamin
Carlos Vasquez
Iggy 

Ironsides (M&SU)
Howard Langston
Union Steamfitter
The Captain
Amina Naidu
Joshua Fitzsimmons
Gunsmith
Union Miner
Mouse

Colette (Performer)
Ice Dancer
Cassandra Felton
Angelica Durand
Showgirl (formerly name Performer)
Mannequin
Mechanical Dove
Carlos Vasquez
Coryphee Duet
Coryphee

Mei Feng (Foundry)
Neil Henry
Willie Brant
Metal Golem (formerly named Rail Golem)
Metal Gamin
Kang
Rail Worker
Forgeling (formerly named Emberling)
Sparks LeBlanc 
Mechanized Porkchop 

Hoffman (Augmented)
Joss Tatanka
Medical Automaton
Mobile Toolkit
Howard Langston
Union Steamfitter
Peacekeeper
Guardian
Hunter
Riotbreaker
Watcher
Mechanical Attendant
Warden

Arcanist Versatile Models 
Envy
Arcane Effigy
Arcane Emissary
Mechanical Rider
The Captain
Soulstone Miner
Steam Arachnid Swarm
Mecharachnid (formerly named Large Arachnid)
Saboteur
Steam Arachnid

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

I for one am very happy to see Iggy finally join Kaeris in the burninating, and having Rafkin as an option finally gives a good reason to buy Rowan (besides her generally awesome sculpt).  I'm super interested in seeing the big size differences between some of the keywords (Academic/Elementals vs Firebugs lol), and with them saying "This list includes all of the models from M2E. There will be more models to fill in gaps in M3E, but we’ll cross those bridges when we get there" it makes me wonder what else is coming out in this book or what crews are in the priority list to getting stuff in expansion #1 (do we reset and call these waves 1/2/etc?  That feels weird lol).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Flint said:

Kaeris has sadly short list of models. No Gunsmiths... Also keyword is unfortunate. "Fire Witch" would be better i think.

A firebug is an arsonist which fits pretty well with the models in that theme. Sonnia is the fire witch (although it isn't her keyword). Most of the models in her theme don't create their fire by magic from what I gather so firewitch would feel wrong to me at least.

4 hours ago, Flint said:

Kaeris has sadly short list of models. No Gunsmiths... Also keyword is unfortunate. "Fire Witch" would be better i think.

I'm going to assume that masters that appear to have small hiring pools, like Kaeris,  will be getting some new keyword models based on this quote from the post that contained the list:

"This list includes all of the models from M2E. There will be more models to fill in gaps in M3E, but we’ll cross those bridges when we get there."

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, WWHSD said:

I'm going to assume that masters that appear to have small hiring pools, like Kaeris,  will be getting some new keyword models based on this quote from the post that contained the list:

"This list includes all of the models from M2E. There will be more models to fill in gaps in M3E, but we’ll cross those bridges when we get there."

It would make sense, and one of the new pieces we've already seen is for "gap filling".  The Undergraduate was specifically mentioned as being part of the Transmortis keyword, which is good because otherwise it's like 6 models.

12 hours ago, Ludvig said:

A firebug is an arsonist which fits pretty well with the models in that theme. 

And then Arcanists from being arcane and forbidden knowledge seekers became petty criminals. Beside too much bugs already everywhere: we have mechabugs,  alien bugs and mutant bugs. I just hope that gaps in Kaeris list won't be filled with Fire Cockroaches of Death or Flaming Mosquitos.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Flint said:

And then Arcanists from being arcane and forbidden knowledge seekers became petty criminals. Beside too much bugs already everywhere: we have mechabugs,  alien bugs and mutant bugs. I just hope that gaps in Kaeris list won't be filled with Fire Cockroaches of Death or Flaming Mosquitos.

The Arcanist faction has always seemed to be suspiciously low on models that seemed to be magically inclined to me.

9 hours ago, WWHSD said:

Heck, we know from GenCon that they’ve created new reasonably cool looking minions for Marcus that aren’t shown on that chart.

Plus last spring/summer there were some models shown off in the Monday Previews.  There weren't any Arcanists shown off, but unless they're for models that were being shown 2 years ahead of time it almost definitely means there's going to be new stuff in M3e core.

13 hours ago, WWHSD said:

I thank that's likely, and it makes me assume (and we all know how dangerous that can be!) that Firebugs will be one of the first in the Arcanist faction to get new Minion and Enforcer models in M3E, after the one we already know about for Chimera, of course.

Another possibility is that several of the Versatile models are going to have good synergy with Kaeris and the Firebugs, perhaps even more than many of the other masters, to help even out her hiring pool. I'm thinking it could be that the Effigy and/or Emissary might interact with the burning condition somehow, perhaps followed by the Mechanical Rider (who helpfully has fire-like effects in her sculpt). Next most likely seems to be the Saboteurs. They come in the same box as the Fire Golem, after all, and the idea of setting things ablaze certainly fits with the theme of sabotage!

7 hours ago, WWHSD said:

The Arcanist faction has always seemed to be suspiciously low on models that seemed to be magically inclined to me.

I just figured mages aren't all that common even in Malifaux. The M&SU theme has been a part of the faction since it's creation as far as I know, I think Ramos was one of the original arcanist masters so union organised machine bugs are part of the core arcanist concept to me. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, WWHSD said:

There are very few magically inclined models in any faction though. Arcanists probably have the bulk of the magic users if you count them up.

40 minutes ago, Ludvig said:

I just figured mages aren't all that common even in Malifaux. The M&SU theme has been a part of the faction since it's creation as far as I know, I think Ramos was one of the original arcanist masters so union organised machine bugs are part of the core arcanist concept to me. 

The Original three were Marcus, Ramos and Rasputina, who were all very magical in completely different ways. Most leader addiitons to the faction from then ended up being related to M&SU, tilting the faction balance towards that side of it rather than Rogue mages.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ludvig said:

I just figured mages aren't all that common even in Malifaux.

I think that they're relatively common and it's just that Sonnia is too good at her job. Every Witchling Stalker is (supposed to be) a caught magic user and I think the Witchling Thralls were supposed to be magic users on par with the powerful Arcanists like Ramos or Marcus, although I may be remembering their fluff incorrectly.

I really do wish there were more actual mages (who follow a specific school) in the Arcanists though. Some more models in line with the Oxfordian Mages would be great.

I'm also hoping for more magic stuff to be honest. The M&SU theme has had so many models added over the years so there are plenty of robots and greasy mechanics to paint. More flowing robes, strange gems and magic effects would definitely pique my interest. I also like the elemental constructs, would be fun to have mages who interacted with each element under the academic umbrella.

• Agree 2

The TTB rulebook's guide to making magic users has some amusing effects that can happen if you make your magic too elemental.  I never made one, but I keep imagining someone who's a healer but can only heal someone whose drenched in water or whose healing causes them to get drenched ("Get in the tub, I need to heal you quick!" xD).  Getting some more elemental shenanigans to people's magic like that could be fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OK, so now this is out and I've found myself wanting to scratch the "painting a Malifaux model" itch again, whats the best one to pick up out of the following do you think?

• Paul Crockett
  • Neil Henry
  • Ferdinand Vogel
  • Rafkin
  • Sparks
  • Iggy
  • Backdraft box set
  • Hoffman box set

('cause I think I've already got everything else...oops!)

Depends on what you like to paint. Suffice to say as a person who likes cloth and fur and only very recently saw The Beast Within live, that model jumped to near top of my WANT list. It looks amazing.

On the other hand I've painted a Hoffbox for friend and it was a pretty cool box set despite my lack of enthusiasm for metallics. Plus, Watcher is just one of "those" Malifaux models that are worth... experiencing:D

16 minutes ago, Franchute said:

Hoffman box set 🤟🏻🤟🏻🤟🏻

Just let give a rational argument though my motivation for Hoffman isnt: because you want all masters 😉

The weird thing is that I've already got a (metal) v1 Hoffman figure - I bought it in a blister pack when I was starting out collecting, and assumed he was an Arcanist model due to the mechanical stuff he has attached to him. Wouldn't be the only model I could end up having in metal and plastic though... !