Versatile and Adjunct actions

santaclaws01

Question

So Versatile and Adjunct state that a fire team in the unit(or the single fireteam in the case of an adjunct) can take the granted action in addition to any other actions it takes. My question is, does this apply to actions taken outside of activation? For example, can Prince Unathi use Field Test on a Dreadnought with 3 mounted gunners and a chemical fogger to take the 1 chemical fogger action granted by field test, and then 3 versatile mounted gatling gun actions from the 3 mounted gunner assets.

4 answers to this question

30 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

So Versatile and Adjunct state that a fire team in the unit(or the single fireteam in the case of an adjunct) can take the granted action in addition to any other actions it takes. My question is, does this apply to actions taken outside of activation? For example, can Prince Unathi use Field Test on a Dreadnought with 3 mounted gunners and a chemical fogger to take the 1 chemical fogger action granted by field test, and then 3 versatile mounted gatling gun actions from the 3 mounted gunner assets.

The Abyssinia adjunct's wording:

Once per Activation, the Fireteam containing this unit's Adjuct model may take an Action listed on this asset, in addition to any other Actions it can take.

The Mounted Gunner Versatile:

Actions on this card may only be taken once during a unit's Activation.  A Fireteam in this unit make take an Action listed on this card in addition to any other Actions it takes.

I'm playing Abyssinia.  You're playing Gibbering Hordes.  You activate a unit, I decide to start resolving my Versatile actions, and tell you to do the same for every one of your units--Versatile and Adjunct each resolving once per every single activation.

That's where this reasoning leads.  :o

2 minutes ago, solkan said:

The Abyssinia adjunct's wording:

The Mounted Gunner Versatile:

I'm playing Abyssinia.  You're playing Gibbering Hordes.  You activate a unit, I decide to start resolving my Versatile actions, and tell you to do the same for every one of your units--Versatile and Adjunct each resolving once per every single activation.

That's where this reasoning leads.  :o

But the phrase "in addition to any other actions it can take" would be a prerequisite of being able to take actions at that point in the first place.

31 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

But the phrase "in addition to any other actions it can take" would be a prerequisite of being able to take actions at that point in the first place.

I don't see why.  If you don't have any actions to start with and then you get three "in addition to any other actions it can take" rules, that's a total of three, in the same manner that if you get one action and apply three "in addition to any other actions it can take" rules.

For a less 'to absurdity' argument, look at the "Additional Actions" callout in the Actions rules.  If Model A takes an Action X that generates an Action Y, Y's an additional action whether it's called that or not.  Y, as an additional action, cannot generate other actions.  As far as I can tell, that's going to cover whether the Action itself would be generating the additional action, or trying to apply Adjunct or Versatile rules.

That leaves the only thing allowed to generate Actions unhindered as being the resolution of an Order.  So you resolve an Order, and when you do so the various Versatile and Adjunct rules grant that unit additional actions unimpeded by the "Additional Actions" limit.

3 minutes ago, solkan said:

I don't see why.  If you don't have any actions to start with and then you get three "in addition to any other actions it can take" rules, that's a total of three, in the same manner that if you get one action and apply three "in addition to any other actions it can take" rules.

For a less 'to absurdity' argument, look at the "Additional Actions" callout in the Actions rules.  If Model A takes an Action X that generates an Action Y, Y's an additional action whether it's called that or not.  Y, as an additional action, cannot generate other actions.  As far as I can tell, that's going to cover whether the Action itself would be generating the additional action, or trying to apply Adjunct or Versatile rules.

That leaves the only thing allowed to generate Actions unhindered as being the resolution of an Order.  So you resolve an Order, and when you do so the various Versatile and Adjunct rules grant that unit additional actions unimpeded by the "Additional Actions" limit.

The additional actions callout is a good point, I was just remembering it as actions generated by triggers can't generate new actions. It's at least enough for me to be able to point to and say why it wouldn't work other than just going "it doesn't work that way because there's no way it was intended to be that strong".