Hamelin in Public Executions

Defier93

Hey all, playing my first game with Hamelin this Thursday and looking at the following pool:

Flank Deployment, Strat: Public Execution, Schemes: Eliminate Leadership, Covert Breakthrough, Vendetta, Show of Force, Dig Their Graves

I know Hamelin may not be the best for this one, but he's the only Outcast I have so yeah. What kinds of models should Hamelin be running with such an elite looking pool? Of note, my opponent will likely be playing a very blasty, killy Raspy to counter rat swarms.

My thoughts: AnD w/ Scramble can get across the board for Covert, Nix and/or Benny with some upgrades in the middle to play at Show of Force, maybe Useful Vermin on Hamelin to set up for Dig? 

It's really a double whammy of my first game with Hamelin and a pool that is counter-intuitive to his play. I have most models normally used with Hamelin bar Killjoy (he just doesn't seem fun to play against). Any and all tips much appreciated!

Hamelin kind if negates a bunch of the schemes in this pool since they all score off non-peons being killed so I would be mindful of that so you don't wrongfully give away points. Hamelin himself can be pretty survivable as well and has several anti marker tricks like rat kings. A&D actually seems like one of your major liabilities since it gives away Vendetta points easily. Aiming for dig and show of force seems like a solid plan to me.

• Thanks 1

Hamelin kind if negates a bunch of the schemes in this pool since they all score off non-peons being killed so I would be mindful of that so you don't wrongfully give away points. Hamelin himself can be pretty survivable as well and has several anti marker tricks like rat kings. A&D actually seems like one of your major liabilities since it gives away Vendetta points easily. Aiming for dig and show of force seems like a solid plan to me.

Appreciate the reply, Ludvig. 

You raise some good points. I'm looking at something like this, expecting Raspy and playing for the long game:

Hamelin w/ Piper, Pits, and Survivalist 

7cache

Stolen

Benny w/ Infectious Melodies and Oath Keeper

Nix w/ Hollow

Sue w/ Return Fire

Obedient Wretch

Hodgepodge Effigy

Iffy on maybe taking Useful Vermin on Hamelin to get markers down for Dig. Also considering dropping Hollow on Nix for something else. How useful is the no blast aura, in anyone's experience? I like Sue for the Minus Flip to Casting and Return Fire is there for Acolyte's trying to ruin my day. May drop Effigy for a couple starting Rats, but I do like The Mist to help my early advance. Thoughts?

Raspy will make short work of Nix since most of her crew ignores incorporeal so you are probably better off just spreading out and using terrain instead. Bunching up for a protective aura is painful when that aura goes away. 

No rat activation engine? I would think your best bet against Rsppy would be massive outactivation turn one so you can see where her threats end up and try to remove a big model or lock down all her mirrors with engagements. Sue might be able to put a dent in her or something else if Hamelin obeys him to get into position. I'd probably drop Nix for rats. Since they're peons they give no points away and as I said Nix will godown in no time against a Raspy crew.

• Thanks 1

Just finished the game with the final list above, making the discussed swaps (Nix and Effigy for Midnight Stalker and 3x Rats). I picked Show of Force and Covert Breakthrough. Opponent played Raspy w/ Imbued Energy, Shattered Mirror, and something else, Blessed of December, a Silent One, a December Acolyte, Wendigo, and 2x Ice Dancers. He chose Dig and Covert Breakthrough.

Game went like this:

Turn 1: He moves everything up and drops markers right next to my deployment, so I know he has Covert Breakthrough. He jumps Blessed up to a Pit and removes it. I durdle behind cover, make a ton of rats with Stolen and the Wretch and summon 2 Stolen, then make a Rat King, then cycle into a Catcher and Rat. By this time, he's done activating. Of note, Raspy moves up mid-field behind a forest, within engaging range of Midnight Stalker. I misplayed and jumped him at start of activation instead od start of turn, so I doubt he would have done this. I move Stalker to engage Raspy, Wendigo, and Silent One through the woods. He uses his last AP to gain Defensive 1. Benny runs across the board with Oathkeeper to engage an Ice Dancer. Ice Dancer had dropped a Scheme Marker. (2-0)

Turn 2:

I realize I messed up the Stalker rule, so I jump him around, still engaging everything. With Raspy engaged, he tries desperately to get her out. The Double Negatives from Midnight Stalker are EXTREMELY annoying for him. Raspy finally get out and shoots a couple times for minimal damage. Benny and the Ice Dancer flail at each other. The Blessed jumps around and tries to hit Midnight Stalker to no avail. Hamelin summons more Stolen and Obeys Stalker to get his Plus Rams Condition (+4 Rams!!). More rats are made with some lucky Crow flips on the Wretch into the Rat Catcher. Another Rat King is made, which gets Reactivate. After Benny takes a hit from the Dancer, he summons a Rat. The Rat King runs across the board, Reactivates, then moves and eats the Scheme Marker to attack the Dancer. Stalker goes, re-engages everyone, then swings and kills the Silent One with a min Damage 6 hit!! I score Show of Force and Strategy. I move a Plague Pit up into the big mess in the middle of the board. I score Strategy again (3-0)

Turn 3:

I jump Stalker around, continue the Rat Engine shenanigans. The Rat King kills the far Dancer, eats another marker, then walks closer to his deployment. The Blessed jumps out of melee and leaps into Sue and Hamelin and straight up mercs Sue. He pushes away from the mess. He was close to a Pit and gets up to Blight 6. Hamelin turns around and Bleeding Diseases him twice, killing him. Benny is Obeyed to drop a marker (close enough for Covert) and move closer to Raspy. He summons 2 Stolen. She gets out, shoots into Hamelin and gets him down to 1 wound thanks to stones. She pops both Stolen with a lucky blast. The resulting rats combine with some from before to make a second Rat King. The other Dancer runs to engage the Stalker. The second Rat King gets Reactivate, walks up to the Dancer, then kills her with some lucky Overwhelm triggers. I move Stalker back to engage Raspy again. Benny charges the Silent One next to Raspy and does a little damage. A rat melees Raspy for some extra Blight (she ended up at Blight 7 next turn). 

Turn 4:

Stalker jumps away to get ready to deny some scheme markers. Benny is engaging bith Raspy and the Silent One. Rat King drops a marker in his deployment. Silent One kills a Rat and tries to kill Hamelin to no avail. Benny kills her and does a damage to Raspy. Raspy gets out of melee and shoots Hamelin for the moral victory. He survives at Hard to Kill, dies, eats a Stolen, then gets hit down to Hard to Kill again. Hamelin responds with 2 Bleeding Diseases to drop her. Opponent concedes.

Thoughts:

This game took ages because I had so much going on. The mistake Turn 1 had me feeling terrible, as having Raspy tied up from Turn 2 on really made the game one-sided. I could've gotten the Stalker over to her eventually with some Obeys, but it was a big misplay. To be fair, we'd never seen/played the model, but I should really read my cards.. Besides that, the activation control meant he barely had any targets for all his shooting, which was really good. Hamelin seems really painful to play against. That said, I had fun trying him out. Hopefully, I can try him in a less killy scenario so I can use more variety in my models. Midnight Stalker is an auto-include for me from now on, though. Definitely MVP and hard to dislodge once he's in there.

Any comments/tips welcome!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Important thing to note w/Stalker: any model that is engaged with him can auto walk away (disengage), without fear of being stopped. As per the rules, a model that is currently being activated counts as activated, so Stalker is unable to target it to block the disengaging strke

4 hours ago, Davos said:

Important thing to note w/Stalker: any model that is engaged with him can auto walk away (disengage), without fear of being stopped. As per the rules, a model that is currently being activated counts as activated, so Stalker is unable to target it to block the disengaging strke

Incorrect.

"During this models Activation, it cannot target enemy models that have already Activated this Turn."

• Thanks 1