Weak units? (There isnt many!!)

I think more so than Malifaux, what role you're hiring something for is critical. Immediately behind that comes its deployment.

For instance, when I first tried the Mechanized Infantry, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with them and they ended up being in a position where they were quickly tarpitted and largely did not contribute to the overall operation. A few games later, they were putting the fear of Abyssinian shooting into my opponent and ripping units apart. What these guys can do is dramatically affected by their position on the table.

Similarly, my first run of Electrocutioners never got them into combat of their choosing or Glory. These guys when let off their leash in Glory can have a truly absurd impact on the battlefield and operation. My deployment of them and choice of Experimental Assets did not help them. I'll be giving them more opportunities in games to come.

I have yet to see the Marauders do anything other than absorb an absurd amount of hate and firepower--my opponents have been worried about a Tough Marauder running free, so they put a lot of effort into either tarpitting or killing it. Most of their success in tearing it down has been due to my deployment leaving it somewhere where it's mildly exposed (especially to portal-walking Cultists). So my deployment has been hurting them and I've been hiring one to run objectives, which gets cancelled fairly quickly by the tarpitting.

I think the Cavalry have a similar thing going on. There's a specific role that they fill, and if you don't put them into that role they will come up short. I haven't tried them out on the table simply because they seem like something better summoned than hired (Behind Enemy Lines) because that lets you put them on the table when and where they can do their harassment/objective grabbing role best, instead of having them on the table relatively early where something can quickly engage or destroy them. It's also worth noting that it takes 6 wounds to completely remove these guys, where a Tough Marauder only can take 3-4 in a single turn.
The competition there is Crow Runners is something else you might summon off of that Stratagem, and Crow Runners can do a lot of work. So it comes down to who do you need doing what kind of work.

We don't really have weak units, partially because everything we have is currently good at one of three things:

1. Having a good defense/armor value (Metal Legion, Mehal Saefari)
  2. Has a good utility (Bath cav, crow runners)
  3. Can Maneuver like a bat out of hell (Bath Cav, Lord of Steel)

If anything, the Dreadnought and Crow Runners are probably the weakest overall, simply because they tend to be more middle-of-the-road than the others.

I'm not a big fan of the Mehal Sefari. The tactics they can generate are nice but they are sort of squishy for their cost and become much worse when engaged in melee (worse in that they lose all utility). I think I would almost always prefer to hire Mechanized Infantry for 8 (36" gun and free card draw for all) or Electrocutioners for 10 (I haven't used these guys yet, but area attacks are amazing and I know that direct hits bypassing defences are extremely annoying) over them. I also don't particularly want my 9 cost unit to be the one tanking hits for my champions. I think one of the key (intended) weaknesses of Abyssinia is the lack of a horde unit to take hits, such as the South Wales Borderers and the Broken, and I don't think the Mehal Sefari are a good replacement due to their cost.

Basotho Cavalry I quite like on the other hand. They're cheap, extremely fast, and kind of annoying. I managed to hit my opponents Adeodatos with enough pinned tokens that he couldn't reach his nearest portal on turn 1, which really slowed him down. Another reason to take them is that they don't have any assets vying for the space a prototype could go, meaning you can use Overclocked to actually attach something during the game (something I've found hard to do given how much I want to attach an Adjunct to every unit). Also the image of the Basotho Cavalry charging at you with an Experimental Rocket at the ready is great.

14 hours ago, Jinn said:

Basotho Cavalry I quite like on the other hand. They're cheap, extremely fast, and kind of annoying. I managed to hit my opponents Adeodatos with enough pinned tokens that he couldn't reach his nearest portal on turn 1, which really slowed him down. Another reason to take them is that they don't have any assets vying for the space a prototype could go, meaning you can use Overclocked to actually attach something during the game (something I've found hard to do given how much I want to attach an Adjunct to every unit). Also the image of the Basotho Cavalry charging at you with an Experimental Rocket at the ready is great.

Basotho cavalry are fragile to the point of hilarious for me.  The record on my table is a single sharpshooter capping an entire fireteam of them in a single shot.

• Haha 1